• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why America Remains in Afghanistan?

Ellen Brown

China has had mining operations in Afghanistan for nearly ten years now.. and they have built a railroad. It makes sense because they share a long border with China and will still be neighbors long after the US leaves. During Bush's war years in Iraq and Afghanistan the Chinese built port Gwadar.

map-balochistan-2.jpg

American media tells Americans that we are the center of the World.

sooda

Veteran Member
I don't think I would refer to it as a long border. What is it, maybe 50 miles?

I don't know how many miles it is.. but in that part of Afghanistan businesses have opened up.. Its been 6 or 7 years since I was following this little surge in entrepreneurship.

Wasp

Because of Russia, but they might be farming drugs and looking down at the locals at the same time

Ellen Brown

Western media publishes all sorts of stories where Taliban treat women awfully, making them wear burqa, and constant beating. I wonder if that is true?

sooda

Veteran Member
Western media publishes all sorts of stories where Taliban treat women awfully, making them wear burqa, and constant beating. I wonder if that is true?

Probably.

Afghanistan had a high rate of literacy before the Afghan communists deposed the monarchy in 1974. They even had movie theaters.The Taliban even banned kite flying which was a national pastime in Afghanistan.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Which brings us back to 9-11.

Even I see the value of giving our military the chance to flex its muscle for it's own sake. We need to keep our military "out there" in order to "stay frosty". Afghanistan seems to be a mess with enough threat potential to cause issues.

If the US presence helps to stabilize that nation then long term if minimal is okay with me. But as the OP suggests we should keep an eye on what major corporate and state interests are doing as they may fuel civil unrest via exploitative labor practices. If we support that even indirectly, then we will create problems rather than solve them.
I... have problems with this.

Shad

Veteran Member
America may need Afghanistan and Pakistan if it picks up a war with Iran.

Gaining access to air space and bases has been a standard policy of the US military for power projection for years. Iran only has one corridor that is free from US power which is the north and Caspian Sea. Iraq to the west, Pakistan to the east. US 5th and 6th Fleets in the Gulf (5th is on duty, 6th is in Naples with easy deployment.) to the south.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I don't think I would refer to it as a long border. What is it, maybe 50 miles?
China does not need a long border. It only needs one point to log in, militarily and/or economically. Then they can build bridges and tunnels, roads and railways, with their 3 trillion + USD foreign exchange reserves. :)

24mortenson-map-popup.jpg
I don't know how many miles it is.. but in that part of Afghanistan businesses have opened up.. Its been 6 or 7 years since I was following this little surge in entrepreneurship.
The border between China and Afghanistan is a 76-kilometre-long (47 mi) boundary .. Wakhan corridor(Wikipedia)
I... have problems with this.
All governments keep an eye on all things which impact their interests.

Last edited: