• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Allah needs worship??

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Allah says in Quran
And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me. (Quran 51:56)

Why Allah is in need of human worship?? Isn't it human nature to except praise and glory for something that he/she creates??

Matemkar

Salam/Hi.
We believe God is not in need of something but we are in need. (And asking someone to do his duty of thanksgiving does not suggest a need.) Here are some short articles that can be helpful:

Why did God create man? One always wonders about this question, if God is perfect what use would man be to him? None. Allah did not create man for his own benefit, he created man for the benefit of man: The hadith Qudsi says:
"O son of Adam, I did not create you for my own benefit, but that you benefit from Me as your God, alone, for I am your saviour"
But how can we benefit from Allah? We can benefit from Allah by worshipping him, for if we worship Allah we will be rewarded. This is a reason in its self:
"And I have not created the Jin and man but that they worship Me" Holy Quran 51:57​
Now the next thing that one can ask is 'How can we worship Him?' To worship Allah we have to accept that there is a God, this implies that God created man so that they may know Him, but is this the primary reason? The grandson of the Prophet, Imam Hussain bin Ali (AS), implies that it is when he said:
"O people, Allah did not create mankind but that they know Him, for if they know Him they will worship Him, and if they worship Him they will benefit from his grace"
However, one may look at the purpose of creation from a different aspect and thus end up with an altogether different answer as to what the primary reason is. If you go back to the question of how can we benefit from Allah, we may come up with a different reason, other than worship. All of creation is already at benefit. Our existence is benefit. Being created is an example of Allah's mercy towards us. Thus one can conclude that we were created, fundamentally because Allah is merciful. However, although there are many different perspectives to the answer as to why we were created, they are all connected and in a way each of them is right

In defining what is meant by a Muslim's duties, we may generalise that a Muslim's duty is to worship Allah. To elaborate further, Muslims do not see the term worship in the vague sense of praying and fasting, etc - worship can be any aspect of a Muslim's daily life depending on the intention. For example even a when a Muslim goes to get an education, provided that he intends to use it for good, it is seen as worship and will be rewarded.

Each of Allah's divine attributes has practical implications in the life of a firm Muslim. Clear, comprehension of the uniqueness of Allah's nature improves a persons Taqwa, or belief in god. Having taqwa in our hearts throughout our daily life adds a feeling of contentment peace with one's self and constant happiness, for when they return to Allah He will say:
" And thou, O soul at peace. Return to thy Lord well pleased with Him and He will be pleased with thee" Holy Quran 89:28-29​
Realisation that Allah knows all, hears all and sees all that we do is one of the most important aspects of Allah's nature that a Muslim can benefit from. Knowing that 'there are not two but that the third is Allah (hadith) increases what we might call our 'self-policing'. For example, when one is alone such as when a teenager is away from his strict parents, he may say that there is no one to fear so why bother praying? The answer to this is given in the following hadith:
"Fear Allah as if you can see Him, if you cannot imagine seeing Him, know that He sees you."​
Allah sees everything that we do and so we should be faithful in our duties even when we are alone.

For those who have a very high realisation of the nature of Allah, they do not worship him for the fear of His hell, nor for the want of His paradise but because Allah is worthy of all praise. Imam Ali (AS), the cousin of the prophet says:
"O Allah, I did not worship You for the greed of your paradise nor for the fear of hell, but because you are worthy of all praise."
This is the ideal that all Muslims should aim for.

Nature of Allah
and also first part of this article can be helpful The Radiance of the Secrets of Worship

ma salam

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
Allah says in Quran

Why Allah is in need of human worship?? Isn't it human nature to except praise and glory for something that he/she creates??
Friend sumit,
Allah means God, and we people need to worship God, rather than God needs worship.

If you are looking for the question why we people need to worship God ? Worshipping means to ask help from who is higher than us, One never asks for the help who is lower than one :)

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Friend sumit,
Allah means God, and we people need to worship God, rather than God needs worship.
[/B]
Without reading Quran how can you say Allah is God??Allah accepts only muslims. For non believers Allah made a hell with fire where humans and stones are the fuel.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Salam/Hi.
We believe God is not in need of something but we are in need.
I know muslims believe Allah is all knowing and almighty. :yes:

I have gone through many articles but this verse still remains a mystery. All I found in those article is twisting the facts and proving that allah don't need worship.
"And I have not created the Jin and man but that they worship Me" Holy Quran 51:57
So is this verse wrong??Here in this verse Allah clearly states that he created humans and Jins to worship him.
Also you quoted from hadith, are hadith as authentic as quran??

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Allah says in Quran

Where in the verse does it say that Allah "needs" to be worshiped? I can't find that word in the verse that you've quoted?

Or are you asking about the Islamic interpretation of that verse?

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Where in the verse does it say that Allah "needs" to be worshiped? I can't find that word in the verse that you've quoted?

Or are you asking about the Islamic interpretation of that verse?

Allah clearly says in Sura Adh- Dhariyat verse 56 that he created humans and Jinn to worship him. So I asked you to clarify this verse?? The reason of creation of Humans acc to this verse is "worship of Allah". So I simply asked why did allah needs worship. And if he do not need worship than why he says that he created the jinn and mankind to worship him. :shrug:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Allah clearly says in Sura Adh- Dhariyat verse 56 that he created humans and Jinn to worship him. So I asked you to clarify this verse?? The reason of creation of Humans acc to this verse is "worship of Allah". So I simply asked why did allah needs worship. And if he do not need worship than why he says that he created the jinn and mankind to worship him. :shrug:

I am sorry but that verse doesn't say Allah 'needs' to be worshiped. It is quite clear, it says Allah created us to worship him, it doesn't say that he 'needs' us to worship him.

The verse after 56 says:

51:57 I seek not any provision from them nor do I ask that they should feed Me.

So it is clear that Allah doesn't need us, instead it is us who need him. We were created to worship Allah, however, we have the option to refuse thus those who worship Allah are promised Paradise and those who don't will be sent to Hell.

Islam forbids Muslims to force others to believe so this 'worshiping Allah' is a trial for people since no one is forced to worship Allah in this life.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
We were created to worship Allah, however, we have the option to refuse thus those who worship Allah are promised Paradise and those who don't will be sent to Hell.
51:57 I seek not any provision from them nor do I ask that they should feed Me.
This is diff in feeding and worshiping.
My question is still same. If Allah do not needs our worship than why he says that he created humans and jinn to worship him?? Also why he send those to hell who do not worship him??

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Friend Sumit,

As already being said; i have MY OWN defination for a true muslim.:)
Dear chinu, here I am writing about Islam(religion of Allah) and not the Islam created by you. Just by naming your views as "Islam" is not a Islam. Islam can only be defined acc to Quran revealed by Allah over his prophet Hazrat Muhammad. :facepalm:

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Sumit,
Perhaps you might get better traction if you said "this verse indicates that Allah wants worship", rather than "needs" worship.
I am not very good in English, trying to improve my eng. :D

You will be told that "want" isn't in this sura either. You simply won't get real dialog, because what you are trying to point out just doesn't work with the mindset which muslims go to a lot of trouble to create and maintain. There is nothing to be gained for a believer by asking such questions, and the very real possibility that they will see the obvious - and become heretics, which won't work for them socially at all.
:yes:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sumit,
I can see what you are saying, but I am surprised that you would expect a sensible answer from people who choose ( need ? ) to believe this kind of stuff.

Also, there is no answer which will say anything about 'Allah'. You may speculate about the reasons behind the fictional creation of Mohammed. You may engage muslims in a word game. But you won't have your question taken seriously by believers, because it does not serve their desire to believe, worship, and be 'saved'.

For a believer to understand what you are saying would be terrible for them, a total bummer. It would mean understanding how silly the whole business of worship actually is. Clearly, the verse you are quoting says that Allah created humans with the intent that they worship him. And yes, I agree that is pretty much insane.

You are getting pointless debates about whether or not the Quran uses the word 'need' . Perhaps you might get better traction if you said "this verse indicates that Allah wants worship", rather than "needs" worship. But probably not. You will be told that "want" isn't in this sura either. You simply won't get real dialog, because what you are trying to point out just doesn't work with the mindset which muslims go to a lot of trouble to create and maintain. There is nothing to be gained for a believer by asking such questions, and the very real possibility that they will see the obvious - and become heretics, which won't work for them socially at all.
That is a truly insightful post, apophenia. Personally, I'm unsure where human animals ever got the idea that worship was a particularly meaningful behavior. It isn't about god, as god does not require having its super massive ego stroked - endlessly. It's about stroking the ego of the believer. Once the subject/object divide has been breached, the very idea of worship becomes both deeply amusing and highly embarrassing.

gnostic

The Lost One
If Allah really didn't need worship, then why does he set rules and customs where Muslims have to worship him in certain way?

For examples, why do they need to pray 5 times a day at a certain times of the day, and even in which direction to pray? Or why do women have to pray at different time from men, when in public place, like a mosque?

Why are such rules needed, and set by your god?

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I thought it was just Sumit, but really, the rest of you too?

To be honest I was surprised to read the other posts.

chinu

chinu
and not the Islam created by you. Just by naming your views as "Islam" is not a Islam
In christianity there's no common one belief seems to be among people,
In Hinduism there's no common one belief seems to be among people,
In Sikhism there's no common one belief seems to be among people,
In Buddhism there's no common one belief seems to be among people,
Almost, in every religion there's no common one belief seems to be among people.

If there would have been any one common sect of beliefs among the people of that particular religion, Than why do they seems to be debating and fighting with each other on their sect of beliefs ? tell me..

And what NEW i have done, if i have created my own sect for islam ? tell me.. sumit. :)
But, its impossible to hide HEART with hands. :)

apophenia

I thought it was just Sumit, but really, the rest of you too?

To be honest I was surprised to read the other posts.
Well, we all get a good education about one another here.

I am surprised if you honestly can't imagine that 'god' isn't in the 'hope-fear and reward-punishment' business.

Expressed from the hindu perspective (close enough to my own view) - 'god' doesn't demand worship, although there are texts and sects which are all about forms of worship - bhakti and guru devotion. Essentially though, it is a case of appreciating that the foundation of our personal being is called 'god', is blissful and uplifting, and is always present. If we practice mindfulness/awareness, it reveals the essential nature which underlies all experience.

From that perspective, the hope,fear,reward,punishment business is nature itself. Prakriti . The 'machineries of energy and logic' run by themselves, so to speak. They are nevertheless the tangible form of Being, the transcendent identity, 'god'.
Regardless of what prakriti (the energetic fabric of the universe ) may be doing, 'god' is the transcendent identity.

Ditto for Buddhism really. Substitute 'buddha mind' for 'god', and that's near enough for jazz.

The main differences between the Abrahamic 'god' and the eastern 'god' : the eastern 'god' is experienced rather than bargained with, and the reward/punishment etc is an ongoing process of nature itself, and this process is called 'karma' - cause and effect.

So, there is no need of worship.

There is truly no need of anything.
There is just what is. Yatham bhutam.

Namaste