• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Abraham?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So why imply that I said it?
Explain yourself then.

Explain your belief about Ashkenazi Jews to us. Or are you going to avoid that with yet another 'It doesn't matter what I believe' when this is literally what this is about?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
This website is comprehensive.
But is it legit? Per the "discussion" we had on Friday, I no longer see a reason to believe your sources.

And trust me, I know very well both the Kuzari book and its history.

But as usual, you don't really read my comments. You see that I commented, don't read, surmise whatever you want that may have gone through my head - but usually didn't - and then post some source that proves...what exactly? That there were Kazarite Jews? I wasn't refuting that.

sooda

Veteran Member
@Rival Oh, I see sooda already posted a reference. Then consider everything I have to say on the subject null and void.
Remember that thread about the skin color of Jews not being white?

I really don't want to go there. Jews come in every color and type.. Ethiopian, Spanish, European and Arab. .. and probably more. They sure aren't a race.. I suppose you could say they share traditions and culture and/or religion.

sooda

Veteran Member
But is it legit? Per the "discussion" we had on Friday, I no longer see a reason to believe your sources.

And trust me, I know very well both the Kuzari book and its history.

But as usual, you don't really read my comments. You see that I commented, don't read, surmise whatever you want that may have gone through my head - but usually didn't - and then post some source that proves...what exactly? That there were Kazarite Jews? I wasn't refuting that.

Did you mean Karaite Jews? I think they were a sect from Persia.

The Website is quite good if you read all the links.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The people of the covenant of circumcision are the descendants of Jacob. Presuming that Ashkenazi Jews are so named because they're descendants of Ashkenaz, then they're not part of the covenant.
I want you to explain this. This is what I'm getting at. Why are you presuming that Ashkenazi Jews are Ashkenaz's descendants? No-one has claimed this. That isn't the origin of the term 'Ashkenazi Jews'.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I really don't want to go there. Jews come in every color and type.. Ethiopian, Spanish, European and Arab. .. and probably more. They sure aren't a race.. I suppose you could say they share traditions and culture and/or religion.
Neither do I. I was just remembering that there was in fact such a thread. It was based on verses of the bible that clearly proved that Jews didn't have white skin and therefore white Jews are not in fact real Jews. It was quite fun.

sooda

Veteran Member
Neither do I. I was just remembering that there was in fact such a thread. It was based on verses of the bible that clearly proved that Jews didn't have white skin and therefore white Jews are not in fact real Jews. It was quite fun.

Well, Hitler didn't consider them white.. He considered them "mud people", but then he thought Arabs, Greeks, Italians and Spaniards were also mud people.

sooda

Veteran Member
I want you to explain this. This is what I'm getting at. Why are you presuming that Ashkenazi Jews are Ashkenaz's descendants? No-one has claimed this. That isn't the origin of the term 'Ashkenazi Jews'.

Doesn't Ashkenaz refer to Germany?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Doesn't Ashkenaz refer to Germany?
Yes.

OK let me spell this out.

Ashkenaz = Ancestor of Germans.

Germany in Hebrew = Ashkenaz.

Jews go into exile.

Jews settle in Ashkenaz.

The Jews who live in Ashkenaz become known as Ashkenazi Jews.

It's really not difficult.

sooda

Veteran Member
Yes.

OK let me spell this out.

Ashkenaz = Ancestor of Germans.

Germany in Hebrew = Ashkenaz.

Jews go into exile.

Jews settle in Ashkenaz.

The Jew who live in Ashkenaz become known as Ashkenazi Jews.

It's really not difficult.

I know, but you still explained that well.

On the other hand the Khazars were a Turkic people.