• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Abraham?

Good-Ole-Rebel

I've show that the language used in Genesis 15 doesn't translate to "God", contrary to what you claimed as a matter of fact.

You're also ignoring the point that Elohim is a plural word which, linguistically, can not represent a singular being like YHWH.

No, you haven't shown me anything. You have made statements.

I have given you the Scripture. God is found throughout (Gen. 15). Who is 'LORD' in (15:1)? Who is speaking in (15:1)? Who is Abram speaking to in (15:3)?

Who is 'LORD' in (15:7)? Who is speaking in (15:7)? Who is Abram speaking to in (15:8)?

I am not ignoring anything. I showed you that Jehovah and Elohim are the same. (Deut. 6:4) "The Jehovah our Elohim is one Jehovah"

It is you who are ignoring and attempting to corrupt the Scripture.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Ebionite

No, you haven't shown me anything. You have made statements.
Statements that you obviously can't comprehend.

I have given you the Scripture. God is found throughout (Gen. 15).
No, your translation only has "God" in two verses, and it is not from the Hebrew word Elohim that is typically translated as "God".

Who is 'LORD' in (15:1)?
The "LORD" is a translation of the tetragrammaton, i.e. the proper name of the deity of Abraham. The name is transliterated as YHWH, so Gen 15:1 is referring to YHWH, not to "God". There's nothing in Gen 15 that would indicate that YHWH is "God".

I am not ignoring anything.
You're ignoring the fact that the text does not support your religious belief.

I showed you that Jehovah and Elohim are the same. (Deut. 6:4) "The Jehovah our Elohim is one Jehovah"
No, this is the first time that you've brought up the shema and you've mistranslated it, the word elohim [אלהים] does not occur in the text:

Deu 6:4

שמע ישראל יהוה אלהינו יהוה אחד׃
shema yishreal YHWH elohinuw YHWH echad
Hear Israel YHWH (is) your elah, YHWH (is) one.

Since YHWH is one and Elohim are more than one YHWH is not one and the same as Elohim.

In the following verses Elohim are YHWH and Moses:

So Moses went down unto the people, and spake unto them.
And Elohim spake all these words, saying,
I am YHWH Elohyk, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exodus 19:25-20:2

It is you who are ignoring and attempting to corrupt the Scripture.
What text do you think that I'm ignoring?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Statements that you obviously can't comprehend.

No, your translation only has "God" in two verses, and it is not from the Hebrew word Elohim that is typically translated as "God".

The "LORD" is a translation of the tetragrammaton, i.e. the proper name of the deity of Abraham. The name is transliterated as YHWH, so Gen 15:1 is referring to YHWH, not to "God". There's nothing in Gen 15 that would indicate that YHWH is "God".

You're ignoring the fact that the text does not support your religious belief.

No, this is the first time that you've brought up the shema and you've mistranslated it, the word elohim [אלהים] does not occur in the text:

Deu 6:4

שמע ישראל יהוה אלהינו יהוה אחד׃
shema yishreal YHWH elohinuw YHWH echad
Hear Israel YHWH (is) your elah, YHWH (is) one.

Since YHWH is one and Elohim are more than one YHWH is not one and the same as Elohim.

In the following verses Elohim are YHWH and Moses:

So Moses went down unto the people, and spake unto them.
And Elohim spake all these words, saying,
I am YHWH Elohyk, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exodus 19:25-20:2

What text do you think that I'm ignoring?

No, (Gen. 15) has God throughout the chapter.

From (Jamieson, Fausset, Brown, Commentary Critical Experimental and Practical, Eerdmans, 1990, p. 637)

"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord--or, as the words may perahaps be better translated, 'Hear, O Israel: Jehovah is our God (Elohim, plural), Jehovah alone."

From (The Bible Knowledge Commentary Old Testament, Walvoord &Zuck, Chariot Victor, 1985, p. 274) concerning (Deut. 6:4):

"God is plural (elohim), possibly implying the Trinity, and one (ehad) may suggest a unity of the Persons in the Godhead..."

You are igoring my question in post #(201).

Whenever you're ready to answer, get back with me.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Ebionite

No, (Gen. 15) has God throughout the chapter.
You've been shown why you're wrong about that. Equivocation leads to faulty reasoning.

From (Jamieson, Fausset, Brown, Commentary Critical Experimental and Practical, Eerdmans, 1990, p. 637)

"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord--or, as the words may perahaps be better translated, 'Hear, O Israel: Jehovah is our God (Elohim, plural), Jehovah alone."
That's technically wrong, the plural word Elohim is not present in that verse.

From (The Bible Knowledge Commentary Old Testament, Walvoord &Zuck, Chariot Victor, 1985, p. 274) concerning (Deut. 6:4):

"God is plural (elohim), possibly implying the Trinity, and one (ehad) may suggest a unity of the Persons in the Godhead..."
Trinitarian doctrine fails because the identity of the beings of Elohim depends on context.

You are igoring my question in post #(201).
The answer to all those questions is YHWH, the deity of Abraham. "God/Gad" was the name of a different deity.

But ye are they that forsake YHWH, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for GD, and that furnish the drink offering unto MNY.
Isaiah 65:11

Good-Ole-Rebel

You've been shown why you're wrong about that. Equivocation leads to faulty reasoning.

That's technically wrong, the plural word Elohim is not present in that verse.

Trinitarian doctrine fails because the identity of the beings of Elohim depends on context.

The answer to all those questions is YHWH, the deity of Abraham. "God/Gad" was the name of a different deity.

But ye are they that forsake YHWH, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for GD, and that furnish the drink offering unto MNY.
Isaiah 65:11

What you presented, I don't believe.

What you present I don't believe, as I have shown why.

No, that is no answer. Go through the verses I gave and answer the questions. God and YHWH are the same in (Gen. 15) just as they are the same in other places in the Bible.

I don't know what you believe (Is. 65) is supposed to prove.

Who is God in (Gen. 1)?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

It's an answer because it addresses your question in a way which is consistent with the source text. That fact that you don't agree the answer is irrelevant. A singular being can't be one and the same as a group of beings.

No, it is no answer to my questions. The fact that you are satisfied with your empty attempt is irrelevant. See post #(201) again.

Plus, you ignore my further question in #(205). Who is God in (Gen. 1)? To which I will add another question. Who is God in (Gen. 2:1-3). And Who is LORD God in (Gen. 2:4-24)?

Good-Ole-Rebel