• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why a Sufi think differently.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The tale about two less-than-brilliant countrymen who hired a boat and went fishing illustrates this situation. The men caught some fine fish. When they were going home, one said to the other,

"How are we going to make our way back to that wonderful fishing place again?" The second said, "I thought of that -- I marked the boat with chalk!" "You fool!" said the first. "That's no good. Supposing next time they give us a different boat?"

When they hear it spelled out, of course, many people regard the Sufis' seemingly painstaking approach as tedious. But anything that needs careful attention seems tedious if you look at it impatiently. People who offer enlightenment by easier methods have neither the responsibility nor the problems of people who have made enlightenment a science. Remember that if a bald man gets a free comb with a bottle of hair restorer, it does not necessarily follow that he will ever be able to use the comb for its intended purpose.

The subjective self, which is made up of part ordinary human training, part instinct, and part obsession or conditioning may answer well enough for many purposes, but it must be possible to set aside that self in order to get to the real thing. Sufi teaching often has to resort to indirect methods in order to eliminate the destructive effect of those activities that give great pleasure to the individual but actually inhibit his potential -- as well as annoy everyone else around.

Such a situation is described in a contemporary joke:

There was once a small boy who banged a drum all day and loved every moment of it. He would not be quiet, no matter what anyone else said or did. Various people who called themselves Sufis, and other well-wishers, were called in by neighbors and asked to do something about the child.The first so-called Sufi told the boy that he would, if he continued to make so much noise, perforate his eardrums; this reasoning was too advanced for the child, who was neither a scientist nor a scholar. The second told him that drum beating was a sacred activity and should be carried out only on special occasions. The third offered the neighbors plugs for their ears; the fourth gave the boy a book; the fifth gave the neighbors books that described a method of controlling anger through biofeedback; the sixth gave the boy meditation exercises to make him placid and explained that all reality was imagination. Like all placebos, each of these remedies worked for a short while, but none worked for very long.

Eventually, a real Sufi came along. He looked at the situation, handed the boy a hammer and chisel, and said, "I wonder what is INSIDE the drum?"

Incidentally, a lot of diversionary activity such as musical assemblies, dressing up, and incantations -- well but erroneously know in the West and among ignorant people in the East as "spiritual" or "esoteric" -- originates in attempts to satisfy the demand for "real mysticism" by unsuitable people (or by suitable people who are thinking wrongly). Sometimes the only shortcoming is that they lack the right information.

Sometimes a book can`t tell you how to handle a situation, then one has to use life experience and self-realization to explain to others.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That is close to a Nasruddin story. There's one I first saw online a long time ago that I quite enjoy:

Shopkeeper: Come, come. You know what they say: an ounce of Sufism now will have been worth more than a pound of regret later.

Customer: Well, I dunno. It looks a little old. Frayed around the edges, if you must know.

Shopkeeper: It ages like good wine.

Customer: (Shakes the package of Sufism, causing little bits to drop off) You sure this will run on 110 volts AC?

Shopkeeper: Generates its own power too.

Customer: (Doubtful) This isn't the American model. I thought they had an American model.

Shopkeeper: Oh, the American stuff...(digs around behind counter)...here (Offers package with fluorescent purple and green day-glo stripes, picture of a turbanned, bearded man with wild eyes and lightning bolts coming out of his fingers).

Customer: That's what I had in mind.

Shopkeeper: (Picks up customer and places him with hands around the package) Ah, but it bought you first.