• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why _____ religion doesn't "work" and you hop/sample/quit

Sees

Dragonslayer
Friendly and simple bits of advice from another ordinary fellow...

Religion as only dogmatic truth-nuggets, seldom used practices, and ritualized social get-togethers is not enough.

If there is separation from life in general and such and such religion, you create a gap and alienation which naturally prevents wholeness and states of fulfillment.

What you do in life, and most especially now, who you choose to be from moment you wake up until your go to bed - is your true religion.

Religion and spirituality is not a creed or a patch to put on your sleeve. You can not become a hero, sage, guru, bodhisattva, etc. by using a book as a mirror. The way you interact with all, internally and externally - that is your religion and your path.

It has to do with body, mind, heart/soul/spirit combined and if you separate to only focus on one or two you leave more gaps. You can not have a real, immediate, present, living, breathing religion if you keep gaps and you only focus on the past. Fulfilled life needs living religion. Living religion needs you to live it - not just think it at times or read about it or mouth words.

Get to understand who you truly are now at the most ordinary levels before you say "this is/will be my religion" which is about your growth and your new "me" tomorrow, the next day, and so on. Be comfortable and honest with your self or you will not choose/create/belong with integrity and wisdom. You are finding your "soulmate" in a sense, not picking curtains or a color for the walls.

Picking something that kind of agrees with the way you think about metaphysical questions isn't being a true Seeker. Find the "This is who I really am, this is who I want to be, this is my life" while understanding what is fundamental and vital to a religious tradition/life-way and what is just a particular group/s characteristics.

sarek

Religions as a rule don't change. Life does, and so should you. Consider that if you were already in possession of a perfect answer then A) you wouldnt be alive in the first place and B) the new religion would be following you instead.