1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whose 'Big Lie'? Trump's proclamation a new GOP litmus test

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Stevicus, May 3, 2021 at 10:28 PM.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,017
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Whose 'Big Lie'? Trump's proclamation a new GOP litmus test (apnews.com)

Trump has issued this proclamation:

Cheney fired back and said that it was Trump's "BIG LIE."

Other Republicans believe that Trump's popularity will slowly wane.

This might be a good time for third parties. There may be some Republicans wanting to leave the party, but don't want to join the Democrats.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,665
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    For the to happen McConnell needs to grow some balls and quit catering to it and flat out reject it. The other high ranking Republicans need to stand firm in the GOP will not tolerate such attacks on America, and force Trumpeters to form their own party.
    Then moderates, centrists and even LW voters will probably have to help out to ensure Trump candidates do not win Republican primaries, and do not win general elections.
    Force them out, deny them, and bury them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. F1fan

F1fan Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    I think it would be smart for old school republicans to take back their party and push out the trump cult, force them to become a third party. But I'm not sure how many republicans are actually very sane. I can';t tell if they are true believers, or scared ****less of the crazy conservative base.

• Like Like x 3
  4. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,000
    Religion:
    Hindu
    My grandmother and I talked about starting our own party, and calling it the Party Poopers.

You think now's the time?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +14,313
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I think Trump is banished to the annals of history.

Personally I looked at the SAM party and think it has potential. I don't think of myself as a Republican nor Democrat anymore as both political ideologys still have good aspects that ought to be preserved.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,540
    Religion:
    Love
    I don't know if there's any saving the GOP from the Trump cult. I tend to doubt it.

I probably have almost zero in common with the policies Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney advocate, but I highly appreciate their good character.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,665
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Romney flips and flops around so much, says one thing then says another, how can anyone really be sure they have anything in common with him?
    He has shown support for gay equality and legal protections even before many Democrats, including Obama. However, he tends to dance around the issue when it comes to religious bigotry and he hasn't formally rebuked them but rather lightly treads on eggshells so he doesn't alienate too much of that group.

8. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,120
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    All they care about is winning elections, and most of them still believe they need the Trump extremists to do that. So they will continue to cater to them.

It's why none of them deserve to be in office.

9. tytlyf

tytlyf The Mind Eye

Ratings:
    +3,257
    Trumpists are so indoctrinated daily to hate democrats, they'll never vote for them. There's only 1 way for the GOP to purge it's extremist base, convince Fox and other RW gossip outlets to change the tone.
    The conservative base doesn't listen to the GOP, they listen to their media.

10. F1fan

F1fan Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    Exactly. I think it if and when trump and Guiliani are indicted on felony charges there will start to be a waning of his influence. But it's also the extremists on FOX and Newsmax. These folks are keeping the nonsense alive among republicans. There's little opportunity for them to see actual objective news.

11. Ponder This

Ponder This Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Unlikely to happen because political polarization continues to increase under Biden. For example, with the U.S. border situation there really isn't a middle ground. Third parties have to offer a significant third perspective.

12. Kooky

Kooky Freedom from Sanity

Ratings:
    +587
    Talking about "the Big Lie", oh my... Say what you will about the Republican Party, but among Western right-wing political parties, they really are the ones who have perfected the Dog Whistle as a political and rhetorical tool.

13. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,648
    Religion:
    atheist
    Majority of Republicans still believe the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump
    However, support for Trump among his Republican base remains strong as 55% of Republicans believe his 2020 election loss resulted from illegal voting or election rigging. Paradoxically, 35% of Republicans agreed with both of the following theories: that the people who gathered at the U.S. Capitol on Jan 6th were peaceful, law-abiding Americans and that it was actually led by violent left-wing protestors trying to make Trump look bad. To that end, 81% of Republicans still view Trump favorably.
    The Trumpers have a solid hold on the Republican party. Just ask Liz Cheney.

14. Twilight Hue

Ratings:
    +14,313
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Good news for the mid terms huh?

15. F1fan

F1fan Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    Guys like McCarthy knows is wasn't stolen, and he said as much during the Jan 6th riots. He wants the Majority Leader job and he's playing politics. He's pissed because she won't play their game. The Jim Jordan types are out to lunch completely. But there are many republicans in Congress who know the election was fair but they are playing to the disinformed conservative base.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,490
    Like who? The Bushes? I'm not sure why people are so keen to have criminals of the sorts that led us here in the first place.

It's like, the people are obviously angry at the establishment in both parties and there's growing populist revolts brewing in both, but you want more of the establishment that is making people mad in the first place. Lol.

17. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,017
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I think there can be a middle ground. The problem is that both parties have been overly obsessed with the border, without paying much attention to what's on the other side of the border. I think Biden and Harris are taking a different approach by reaching out directly to the governments in question - namely that of Mexico and the Northern Triangle countries (El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras). We should have been doing that 20-30 years ago. If we had, we wouldn't even have this problem today.

18. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,017
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Trump will remain suspended from Facebook, Instagram for now (msn.com)

19. Twilight Hue

Ratings:
    +14,313
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I agree, go to the source, but even that's not even being done. It's been put off to June from what I heard.

20. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,648
    Religion:
    atheist