• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's managing hell?

Vee

Premium Member
I was having a chat with a friend about hell - my life is fascinating, I know - and this idea came to my mind. The bible says that God expelled Satan and his demons and they came to the vicinity of the earth, causing all sorts of trouble. My question is, if Satan and his troops are around the earth, who's managing hell?
Personally I don't believe in hell, but I'm trying to come up with some sort of reasoning. I know a lot of people who still live in fear of eternal suffering.

I was having a chat with a friend about hell - my life is fascinating, I know - and this idea came to my mind. The bible says that God expelled Satan and his demons and they came to the vicinity of the earth, causing all sorts of trouble. My question is, if Satan and his troops are around the earth, who's managing hell?
Personally I don't believe in hell, but I'm trying to come up with some sort of reasoning. I know a lot of people who still live in fear of eternal suffering.
Revelations 9:11-
And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Good luck trying to use reason to deal with belief.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think Putin might be taking over shortly, with any luck. :oops:

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
My question is, if Satan and his troops are around the earth, who's managing hell?
You start thinking critically. That is dangerous. Not for you, but for your faith.

There is no reasoning possible when people are stuck in a belief system. If there were, it could be used to defeat your faith as well.

IOW, how is your faith more believable than a belief in hell?

Ciao

- viole

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think that even atheists, by default have a very clear idea of what good and evil are. And how overwhelmingly different they are.
A very good anthropologist used to say that. That, regardless of theistic beliefs, human beings keep in their own conscience that these two entities are like day and night. One the opposite of the other.

That said, the beliefs about afterlife depend on cultural and historical influences.

The way I read it, Satan was not originally in charge of hell. He sat as an angel beside God on the throne with a very high rank in heaven. He got cocky and rebelled and tried to take over mankind. God banished him to Earth with the understanding that he can go ahead and gather followers but he will never rule over the Earth and all of mankind while on Earth. He will be cast into hell along with his followers in the end days. He will suffer in hell as much as his followers. In this way Hell for all of mankind will be ruled over by Satan but he doesn't manage Hell. God rules over Hell and Heaven. All the managers of Hell appear to be the good angels like Abaddon(Apollyon) who managed the bottomless pit which appears to be an entrance to Hell with gates and a key. It appears God has let Satan have rule of his followers in Hell but that is it. God will rule over Satan and any other angels or creations that are sent there will not be ruled by Satan.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Some theorized different demons but none are supported by the bible. It's just theories. One demon theorized is Belial.

nPeace

Veteran Member
An excellent question Vee.

Revelations 9:11-
And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.
Revelation 20:1-3
1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

The only thing Satan gets any management over, is this world. Revelation 12:9-12
Other than that, he seems to be the one being 'managed'.
  • Revelation 12:7-9 - kicked out of heaven
  • Revelation 20:1-3 - bound and sealed in darkness
  • Revelation 20:7-10 - totally destroyed

That's expected, since Revelation focuses on the involvement of the holy angels.
God sends an angel with the message, and he relates the role God's angels are playing in God's judgment.

An excellent question Vee.

Revelation 20:1-3
1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

The only thing Satan gets any management over, is this world. Revelation 12:9-12
Other than that, he seems to be the one being 'managed'.
  • Revelation 12:7-9 - kicked out of heaven
  • Revelation 20:1-3 - bound and sealed in darkness
  • Revelation 20:7-10 - totally destroyed

That's expected, since Revelation focuses on the involvement of the holy angels.
God sends an angel with the message, and he relates the role God's angels are playing in God's judgment.
Well said

nPeace

Veteran Member
The way I read it, Satan was not originally in charge of hell. He sat as an angel beside God on the throne with a very high rank in heaven. He got cocky and rebelled and tried to take over mankind. God banished him to Earth with the understanding that he can go ahead and gather followers but he will never rule over the Earth and all of mankind while on Earth. He will be cast into hell along with his followers in the end days. He will suffer in hell as much as his followers. In this way Hell for all of mankind will be ruled over by Satan but he doesn't manage Hell. God rules over Hell and Heaven. All the managers of Hell appear to be the good angels like Abaddon(Apollyon) who managed the bottomless pit which appears to be an entrance to Hell with gates and a key. It appears God has let Satan have rule of his followers in Hell but that is it. God will rule over Satan and any other angels or creations that are sent there will not be ruled by Satan.
Hello SayerofHello.
We agree on Abaddon(Apollyon) who managed the bottomless pit, being one of God's "good" angels.
I'm just curios as to how you worked it out though.

Which scripture do you use to show that the Devil 'will be cast into hell along with his followers in the end days'?

Also, didn't Satan reside in heaven, and go and come as he pleased? Job 1:6-7 Job 2:1-2
That would mean he was not banished from heaven, until Revelation 12, when Michael fought him, right?.. and that was the same time Christ took rulership of the kingdom. Right?

Clizby Wampuscat

God is:

Ephesians 4-6 NIV:

4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Hello SayerofHello.
We agree on Abaddon(Apollyon) who managed the bottomless pit, being one of God's "good" angels.
I'm just curios as to how you worked it out though.

Which scripture do you use to show that the Devil 'will be cast into hell along with his followers in the end days'?

Also, didn't Satan reside in heaven, and go and come as he pleased? Job 1:6-7 Job 2:1-2
That would mean he was not banished from heaven, until Revelation 12, when Michael fought him, right?.. and that was the same time Christ took rulership of the kingdom. Right?
I believe Abaddon was good because he is referred to as an angel like Lucifer and his fallen who were originally good angels and if he manages the pit then it is a good angel who comes down from heaven with the key so I assume it is managed by the good guys since they have the key. I use your quote of Rev 20:1-3 as one source for end days being when Satan goes to Hell along with the fact that Satan was cast down to Earth to walk amongst us. In the book of Job God meets with his people and Satan is there, chapter 1, verse 7 says And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. He later meets Jesus in the desert and tries to recruit him.This places Satan cast down to Earth very early in the timeline and suggests he doesn't go to hell until later.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I believe Abaddon was good because he is referred to as an angel like Lucifer and his fallen who were originally good angels and if he manages the pit then it is a good angel who comes down from heaven with the key so I assume it is managed by the good guys since they have the key.
Oh, okay.

I use your quote of Rev 20:1-3 as one source for end days being when Satan goes to Hell along with the fact that Satan was cast down to Earth to walk amongst us.
Not sure I am following.
I don't think you are saying earth is hell... at least I hope not. ;)
It's true, people are suffering on earth, but hell in translations of the Bible refers to where the dead are.

You are not saying that's where Satan goes, right?
In reading Revelation 20:1-3, we don't see the Greek word Hades used, but rather ἀβύσσου abussos - abyss.
So this abyss is not hell, but the same abyss the demons knew they were in for Luke 8:31 - the same one Jude mentions.
Jude 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

That would mean Satan is not cast into hell at any point in time, right?

In the book of Job God meets with his people and Satan is there, chapter 1, verse 7 says And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. This places Satan cast down to Earth very early in the timeline and suggests he doesn't go to hell until later
God meets with his angels... I think that is what you meant. Correct me if I am mistaken.
Satan goes to heaven and joins the meeting.
Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

So Satan traverses from heaven to earth.
When does Revelation 12 occur, in your view?
Does it agree with Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My advice...
Don't attribute that horrible goat rodeo in Russia & Ukraine
to Satan, lest Old Scratch log onto RF & excoriate you.
The Dark Lord has standards.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.......There is no reasoning possible when people are stuck in a belief system. If there were, it could be used to defeat your faith as well. IOW, how is your faith more believable than a belief in hell? Ciao- viole

I'd like to take the liberty to say the world basically is taught about a non-biblical hell as being biblical.
The world is taught about an eternal burning hell with No way out as being scriptural when it is Not.
Whereas, the Bible's hell/grave is temporary and comes to a final end.
After everyone in biblical hell is ' delivered up ' (resurrected out of hell ) then emptied-out hell is cast empty into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell -> Revelation 20:13-14.
Biblical hell is the temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead til Resurrection Day ( Jesus' 1,000-year Day )
Both Jesus and the OT both teach 'sleep' (Not pain) in death.
( For example: Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5 and John 11:11-14 )
So, to me the Bible's view (sleep) is more believable than a belief in some religious-myth hell fire just taught as being Scripture.
When the King James was translated into English the word Gehenna was translated as: hell fire.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were: destroyed.
So, Gehenna (destruction) is in harmony that the wicked will be ' destroyed ' - Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
...... In the book of Job God meets with his people and Satan is there, chapter 1, verse 7 says And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. He later meets Jesus in the desert and tries to recruit him.This places Satan cast down to Earth very early in the timeline and suggests he doesn't go to hell until later.

I like how you say Satan tries to recruit Jesus.
I find No reference to Satan ever being in hell, rather I find righteous Jesus as being in hell - Acts of the Apostles 2:27
What I do find is 'destruction for Satan' because he is bruised in the head (a fatal head wound ) - Genesis 3:15
At Hebrews 2:14 we find it is Jesus who delivers that head wound and destroys sinner Satan.
ALL sinners die and sinner Satan will not only die out of existence but with No resurrection for him - Romans 6:23.
ALL the wicked are 'destroyed forever' - Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Some theorized different demons but none are supported by the bible. It's just theories. One demon theorized is Belial.
I find in Genesis fallen angels who follow Satan, so they are also demons besides demon sinner Satan.
Any thoughts about Luke 4:41 ______________