• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's Having Fun On RF Today?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Tis a glorious morning on RF...things are funny, peaceful, & prolific.
We have animals (including Scots & thieves) in top hats.
We have the joy of making personal sacrifice.
And we have a statue of a bear.
On top of all that, it's a sunny day with temps heading north of the 30s!
Who else is enjoying their day?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yup, Today is a good day in RF :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

As much as is possible confined in the house for 23 hours each day with 3 kids suffering cabin fever a husband prowling around like a @Wu Wei with a sore head.

Our one hour stroll in a 21c (70f) temperature was a pleasant highlight.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As much as is possible confined in the house for 23 hours each day with 3 kids suffering cabin fever a husband prowling around like a @Wu Wei with a sore head.

Our one hour stroll in a 21c (70f) temperature was a pleasant highlight.
And neither of us is banned (yet).
For me that's a real accomplishment.
(I'll skip the stories behind that.)

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'm good. I drank one of my favorite drinks, root beer. Also had French toast with sausage.

How do you make (not) french toast. Never seen it here and i understand the modern version originated in England. But like Belgian fries, english toast don't sound as good.

Terry Sampson

Hell! At the rate this new world is turning, I'm gonna be desperate enough soon to offer to adopt PopeADope just to have him do weekly shopping for me.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
How do you make (not) french toast. Never seen it here and i understand the modern version originated in England. But like Belgian fries, english toast don't sound as good.

I've never made it with my own two hands. You can look up a recipe, but I believe it involves combining plain bread and eggs, and frying it. Maybe some form of batter using only the egg and brushing it across. When it is done, you add maple syrup.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Not today.
But if the opportunity arises, I'm in a mood to laugh at someone's privates.

Always good for a laugh

s-l640.jpg

ChristineM

Premium Member
I've never made it with my own two hands. You can look up a recipe, but I believe it involves combining plain bread and eggs, and frying it. Maybe some form of batter using only the egg and brushing it across. When it is done, you add maple syrup.

But its not french, like french fries are not french.

How did they get there name?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From Wikipedia....
Etymology
In the United States and most of Canada, the term french fries, sometimes capitalized as French fries, or shortened to fries, refers to all dishes of fried elongated pieces of potatoes. Variations in shape and size may have names such as curly fries, shoestring fries, etc.[14] (see § Variants). In the United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa, Ireland and New Zealand, the term chips is generally used instead, though thinly cut fried potatoes are sometimes called french fries, skinny fries, or pommes frites (from French), to distinguish them from chips, which are cut thicker. A person from the US or Canada might instead refer to these more thickly-cut chips as steak fries or potato wedges, depending on the shape, as the word chips is more often used to refer to potato chips, known in the UK and Ireland as crisps.

Thomas Jefferson had "potatoes served in the French manner" at a White House dinner in 1802.[15][16] The expression "french fried potatoes" first occurred in print in English in the 1856 work Cookery for Maids of All Work by E. Warren: "French Fried Potatoes. – Cut new potatoes in thin slices, put them in boiling fat, and a little salt; fry both sides of a light golden brown colour; drain."[17] This account referred to thin, shallow-fried slices of potato (French cut) – it is not clear where or when the now familiar deep-fried batons or fingers of potato were first prepared. In the early 20th century, the term "french fried" was being used in the sense of "deep-fried" for foods like onion rings or chicken.[18][19]

Terry Sampson

Where Does French Toast Come From?
The origins of french toast are not entirely clear, but long before this sweet snack was called “french toast," similar recipes were being whipped up all around the world. One of the earliest versions of french toast has been traced back to the Roman Empire.

The name “french toast" was first used in 17th-century England. The recipe — and name — were brought to America by early settlers.

In France, the dish is called “pain perdu," meaning “lost bread." Why lost bread? Originally, people made French toast from stale bread in order to make use of bread that would otherwise have been thrown away.

To make french toast, you first dip slices of bread in a mixture of beaten eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Then you fry the egg-coated bread in a pan until browned.

Some people recommend slicing the bread the night before and letting it dry out a bit overnight to keep the bread from absorbing too much egg and getting soggy.

In the United States, restaurants usually serve french toast with butter, maple syrup and powdered sugar, but the possibilities are endless. French toast can be topped with just about anything.

Popular toppings include powdered sugar, maple syrup, jelly, jam, honey, peanut butter, applesauce, whipped cream, fruit, yogurt, ice cream and nuts. Savory (not sweet) french toast can be topped with bacon, cheese, gravy and even ketchup!

People use a variety of different breads to make french toast. In the western and southwestern United States, many cooks prefer sourdough bread. Within some Jewish-American communities in the New York area, people use leftover challah bread from the Sabbath dinner for french toast on Sunday mornings.

Around the world, people enjoy french toast in many different ways. The British call french toast “eggy bread," “gypsy bread" or “french-fried bread." And sometimes they serve it with ketchup.

The people of New Zealand prefer their french toast served with bananas, bacon and maple syrup. Australians serve up a savory version of french toast with cheese and tomato sauce. The French consider “pain perdu" a dessert, not a breakfast food.

ChristineM

Premium Member
From Wikipedia....
Etymology
In the United States and most of Canada, the term french fries, sometimes capitalized as French fries, or shortened to fries, refers to all dishes of fried elongated pieces of potatoes. Variations in shape and size may have names such as curly fries, shoestring fries, etc.[14] (see § Variants). In the United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa, Ireland and New Zealand, the term chips is generally used instead, though thinly cut fried potatoes are sometimes called french fries, skinny fries, or pommes frites (from French), to distinguish them from chips, which are cut thicker. A person from the US or Canada might instead refer to these more thickly-cut chips as steak fries or potato wedges, depending on the shape, as the word chips is more often used to refer to potato chips, known in the UK and Ireland as crisps.

Thomas Jefferson had "potatoes served in the French manner" at a White House dinner in 1802.[15][16] The expression "french fried potatoes" first occurred in print in English in the 1856 work Cookery for Maids of All Work by E. Warren: "French Fried Potatoes. – Cut new potatoes in thin slices, put them in boiling fat, and a little salt; fry both sides of a light golden brown colour; drain."[17] This account referred to thin, shallow-fried slices of potato (French cut) – it is not clear where or when the now familiar deep-fried batons or fingers of potato were first prepared. In the early 20th century, the term "french fried" was being used in the sense of "deep-fried" for foods like onion rings or chicken.[18][19]

To fix the errors in your post and complete it

Despite its name, the French fry is not French. The origins of the French fry have been traced back to Belgium, where historians claim potatoes were being fried in the late-1600s.
Do French Fries Really Come From France?