• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's a pretty boy (or girl)?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
My neighbour has a black plastic crow-like bird atop our dividing fence, and I've just spotted a pigeon trying to chat it up, or even kiss it (not sure), but it gave up after a few minutes, seeing no response from the ungrateful wretch. It's known that small birds will attack or be fascinated with their reflections in car mirrors (or even windows), but one might assume they could sense something was made of plastic rather than being alive. Was it just curious, or showing the limits of its intelligence? :oops:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
My neighbour has a black plastic crow-like bird atop our dividing fence, and I've just spotted a pigeon trying to chat it up, or even kiss it (not sure), but it gave up after a few minutes, seeing no response from the ungrateful wretch. It's known that small birds will attack or be fascinated with their reflections in car mirrors (or even windows), but one might assume they could sense something was made of plastic rather than being alive. Was it just curious, or showing the limits of its intelligence? :oops:

my neighbor used to have hedges neatly trimmed to his picture window

cardinals are territorial

that poor bird beat himself near to death trying to chase the reflection away

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Self awareness in animals is one of the hot study topics in biology and psychology

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Self awareness in animals is one of the hot study topics in biology and psychology

It's a bit odd how it varies so much, with so few animal species passing the mirror test, although there might be some explanation for such.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's a bit odd how it varies so much, with so few animal species passing the mirror test, although there might be some explanation for such.

I read a while ago that a fish had passed it, much to the consternation of people who think primates are superior

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Species?
I have owned cats that thought the reflection was another cat and ones that knew it was them.
Same with dogs.

I have owned both who started out not knowing but learned.
And those who never learned

So I agree how odd the variation is.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I read a while ago that a fish had passed it, much to the consternation of people who think primates are superior
I never thought to give the test to my dog faced puffer.
He was hoot.
Anything put in his tank he did not like or want in his tank he either tossed it out of his tank, or buried,

Thief

Rogue Theologian
pets come and go....but this one cat.....Sammy

seemed to understand when the kids were catching bugs for science homework

the cat shows up
with a dragon fly
dead but otherwise all in one piece
and gave it to the kids

ChristineM

Premium Member
I never thought to give the test to my dog faced puffer.
He was hoot.
Anything put in his tank he did not like or want in his tank he either tossed it out of his tank, or buried,

Intelligence shown in dramatic fashion