• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

wholesome or what?

t3gah

Last Fall my nephews came to visit me. I caught them watching a TV-14 cable show. When I, the uncle, asked them to change the channel they promptly replied that they played some PG-13 video games recently as proof that they could watch this 'adult entertainment' show. Six and eight year olds telling me what is ok, etc. Scary, no?!

The channel my mom suggested they go to turned out to be airing Sesame Street. Next thing I see is some puppet dressed like dracula singing a song. Oh yeah, this is what they should be watching over that other show! A puppet with sharp teeth!!!

I left the room and their dad changed the channel again so they watched the history of the US being born, cartoon style. I think it was about George Washington that week.

Anyway, do you think 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie and fanged puppets on tv are wholesome for children? Or any of those other 'nursery' rhymes?? I think the rating for the show should show up continually on the corner of the screen.

fromthe heart

LOL...I see you are learning all about the ills of tv and kids. I have to agree...Sesame Street isn't all that wholesome, as most of what is aired on tv. I went through several days watching kiddie tv shows to see what would be ok for my grandsons to watch. It was an eye opening experience.:)

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I saw my first "sex scene" at eight. I continually played violent video games (often rated 18+) my entire life. Am I a bad person? Seriously, if the children turn out bad, it's not TV, the media or a video games fault.

fromthe heart

Druidus said:
I saw my first "sex scene" at eight. I continually played violent video games (often rated 18+) my entire life. Am I a bad person? Seriously, if the children turn out bad, it's not TV, the media or a video games fault.
My first one was a lot younger than that...lived on a farm...lol. I have to agree it's not the tv's fault if kids turn out bad.:)

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
My first one was a lot younger than that...lived on a farm...lol. I have to agree it's not the tv's fault if kids turn out bad.
smile.gif
lol, I meant "human" sex scene. ;) :D

cardero

Citizen Mod
t3gah writes: Anyway, do you think 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie and fanged puppets on tv are wholesome for children?
t3gah THAT's THE COUNT!!! I learned how to count in Spanish from that "fanged puppet"!It's not his fault he looks like that. My parents didn't make me watch those shows, I chose to watch them myself and if a blue unproportioned furry carpet wants to teach me 'C' is for cookie well that's good enough for me!!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I don't see how Sesame Street is bad... better that than something kids tend to obsess over, like Pokemon or Digimon, right?

Circle_One

ROFL!! Meanwhile, I just finished watching "Blade" with my six year old. :D But then again, I'm not big on coddling my son. He's big enough and mature enough to watch certain things. While I definitely wouldn't let him watch sex scenes or extreme blood and gore, but a "fanged puppet"...I don't see a big problem with that.

1 bat...mwahahahaha. 2..2 bats..mwahahaha

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
When it comes to Sesame Street, I always COUNT my blessings. :D They have some OSCAR winning performances, and include g;impses into the lives of snufalumpagusses.

Ceridwen018

The Count = bad? Whoa now,that's going abit far, I think. Also, what's so bad about 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie?

All I can say, is "Yay!" for continued supression of sexuality and curiosity in general. If my kid ever comes crying to me because he saw a nasty puppet with sharp pointy teeth on TV, I think I'd tell him to, "cut the bull-crap and go learn his numbers."

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
We should not hold the media responsible for how children turn out if, as parents, guardians, or other definitive part of the child's life, we do not take the initiative to teach them what is or isn't appropriate.

There is another aspect though. What one parent finds repulsive for their children may not be seen as repulsive to another family. It is definitely a personal choice on what we allow our children to watch and listen to.

Blaming the media is a cop-out for people who do not have the intestinal fortitude to step up and use inappropriate material as a teaching lesson or to provide a better explanation that is appropriate for the individaul child.

As mentioned before, it is not the age but the maturity and intellect of the child that determines what they should be allowed to watch, as well.

If I seem to be rambling on different points I apologize. I hope, overall, some of the things I have posted make some sense.

FBI

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
somehow I never thought of the 'near-far' skit as bad for me ;)
I remember when Seasme Street actualy covered the concept of death. "Mr. Hooper" (Actor Will Lee) died in 1982 and rather than just let the charactor fade away for some contrived reason they had the people and the muppets deal with his death and the feelings they had for thier friend. It was a wonderful and eloquent episode.
Today death is just a ratings grabber... kids(or perhaps more importantly parents) are no longer moved by it.

wa:do

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
As far as childrens' shows, I think the only ones that one could recommend without fear to anyone would actually be "Sesame Street" and "Mr. Rodgers". It's good to have positive input when you're a kid, even if it's a blue furry monster telling you you're special. I was practically raised by Mr. Rodgers, although I now suffer from the same thing that most adults do- trying to watch the reruns when you aren't a kid makes one feel like you a nap. (In high school, though, someone tried to insult me by saying I was "like the daugher of Mr. Rodgers". I took it as an extrodinary compliment, though... 'cause I'm rebellious that way.)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
t3gah said:
The channel my mom suggested they go to turned out to be airing Sesame Street. Next thing I see is some puppet dressed like dracula singing a song. Oh yeah, this is what they should be watching over that other show! A puppet with sharp teeth!!!
The Count may look scary but he is an old softie. A good lesson in learning to judge people by what's on the inside, not the outside. If one were going to question the "wholesomeness" of Sesame St, I would have thought it would have been because of Bert and Ernie. ;)

t3gah

Reflecting on my previous enlightenment phase with Jehovah's Witnesses, I am reminded of the list of things the elders in a talk said that us Witnesses should avoid. They quoted the scripture that states to 'abhor what is bad and cling to what is good'. With that the elder that was giving the talk mentioned some 'unwholesome' cartoons.

Looney Tunes
Tiny Toons
Anime
Batman
Spiderman
Pokemon
Shrek 2
The elder then said what all ages of JW's should watch for 'wholesome entertainment'. He went on to state that anything rated beyond G was not wholesome for a Christian and also something that didn't lead to materialism which big dollar things like Toy Story generated. There was an extra emphasis on movies or cartoons that had spiritistic overtones, like Aladdin.

Bugs Bunny was mentioned as being too violent as well as the replacement, Tiny Toons.

Pokemon was mentioned again and an emphasis about materialism was made regarding the merchandise associated with Pokemon.

Then there was Shrek 2. At first all the congregation members who had childern sent them to the movies to see the new Shrek, the sequel. Upon returning from the movie, two young children started talking about the special effects when Eddie Murphey's donkey turns into a Unicorn. An elder overheard the story and the next thing you know the movie is a 'no-no' because of possible spiritistic overtones.

Finally Anime was mentioned with references that it is always violent or has sexual overtones. Something that Satan promotes with young children since Satan is misleading the entire inhabited earth.

Talk about judging things by their covers! I turned out alright and I watched all those things as a kid and even as an adult.

cardero

Citizen Mod
"Jehovah detests magic," was the response I received from my 6 year old cousin when I invited him to watch an episode of Fairly Odd Parents.

t3gah

carrdero said:
"Jehovah detests magic," was the response I received from my 6 year old cousin when I invited him to watch an episode of Fairly Odd Parents.
I watched two sisters playing with a cup and joking about worldly people and their magic tricks. They really were siblings, not just congregation sisters, at the Kingdom Hall I used to go to. They had the cup on the table in the kitchen and they flipped it over and put a card under it. Then pulling the card out and putting it back under the cup they made jokes a few times saying each time: "look a magic trick!"

Harry Potter is more popular that JWs