• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who will get to heaven?

Jeremiah Ames

“The nature of heaven is to provide a place there for all who lead good lives, no matter what their religion may be.”
― Emanuel Swedenborg

My question: Why not?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
“The nature of heaven is to provide a place there for all who lead good lives, no matter what their religion may be.”
― Emanuel Swedenborg

I don't know... either those who do good or those who try to do good.

leov

Those who can reach enlightenment and end the samsara (rebirth) are those who will enter heavenly realm. those who do not reach enlightenment stay in the rebirth cycle
I accept Swedenborg in principle. He did not accept rebirth, karma. He considered that teaching and spiritual enlightenment would happen while soul is in afterlife state, different grades of afterlife. Then after that soul can move higher.

Jeremiah Ames

I accept Swedenborg in principle. He did not accept rebirth, karma. He considered that teaching and spiritual enlightenment would happen while soul is in afterlife state, different grades of afterlife. Then after that soul can move higher.

The teaching can, and must begin, on earth. In the afterlife, it’s just a continuation. Those who choose to not accept the Lord while on earth will not receive teaching or enlightenment in eternity.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I do not know of swedenborg form of teaching :) As a Buddhist i study the dhamma/dharma of Sakyamuni Buddha. And i cant say i see any permanent soul within our beings.
And in my understanding only a belief of a higher being would not give a human a "free ticket" to heaven, As human beings we must cultivate our action, speech and thoughts every moment we are living.And only when we have let go of the clinging to human existance will we experience enlightenment.

leov

The teaching can, and must begin, on earth. In the afterlife, it’s just a continuation. Those who choose to not accept the Lord while on earth will not receive teaching or enlightenment in eternity.
I came to understand God's purpose is improving of human consciousness, and Christ (spark of True God) is what every human have to find within self.

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
That’s an interesting thought.
I believe Swedenborg is speaking about ‘actual’ good. So, someone trying to do so, would be, doing it.

Could you give an example of trying to do good and not doing it?
Well, almost everyone's on the side of the human race but not everyone actually benefits society.

leov

I do not know of swedenborg form of teaching :) As a Buddhist i study the dhamma/dharma of Sakyamuni Buddha. And i cant say i see any permanent soul within our beings.
And in my understanding only a belief of a higher being would not give a human a "free ticket" to heaven, As human beings we must cultivate our action, speech and thoughts every moment we are living.And only when we have let go of the clinging to human existance will we experience enlightenment.
It is not really a "free ticket" . Imo, rebirth works of karma is a 'regular' way of soul path until enlightenment. Swedenborg has no provisions for unenlightened soul entering heaven - and that Is what I can accept in principle.

Last edited:
― Emanuel Swedenborg

From a Christian perspective, I don't think Swedenborg is quite right, but I don't think he's entirely wrong either.

My own interpretation of scripture means that I would advocate an inclusivist view of salvation. Inclusivism has nothing to do with universalism or pluralism, as some evangelical Christians have accused me of advocating in the past. I believe that Jesus is ultimately the only way to salvation, and that non-Christian religions are in error - but I also believe that God has the capability of saving some, even many, non-Christians. I shall make my case below.

1. Inclusivism is not affirmed explicitly in the Bible, but neither are plenty of other Christian doctrines. Besides, almost all Christians believe in some form of inclusivism. Other than a few hard-line Calvinists, there is a broad consensus amongst Christians that those who die in infancy, and those who suffer from severe mental disability, will be saved. This doctrine, the so-called 'age of accountability', affirms that God will not damn those who have not had the opportunity to hear and understand the gospel. It is by any reasonable standard an inclusivist doctrine, and those who reject inclusivism should by definition reject infant salvation - which I think few would be prepared to do.

2. After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb (Revelation 7:9). People from every nation and tribe will be represented in the ranks of heaven. Yet there are many tribes who have not heard of Christ, who have never had the opportunity to hear the Gospel, either through isolation or having died out before missionaries ever reached them.

3. Finally, the parable of the Good Samaritan. Jesus said that the Samaritan who had mercy was preferable to the Levite and Priest who did not. Mercy and goodness is superior to doctrine and belief. Let us remember that the Samaritans were absolute anathema to the Jews of the time, who accused them of worshipping Baal and embracing paganism. Yet the Good Samaritan was still worthy of Christ, despite growing up in a false religious culture.

Happy to debate this if anyone disagrees :blush:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
― Emanuel Swedenborg

Because, in my view, heaven isn’t a place.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
― Emanuel Swedenborg

Dying man couldn't make up his mind which place to go to -- both have their advantages, "heaven for climate, hell for company!"
- Mark Twain's Notebooks and Journals, vol. 3

Jeremiah Ames

So very true.
I agree with your entire comment.

Also, you say the soul is not permanent. Yes.
But do you think we also have a spirit, or inner self? Which is what becomes enlightened upon letting go of the human existence.