• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who/What Is God To You?

Pozessed

Todd
Please explain using your own intellect without referring to your religion.

If you need to use scripture to explain God then you aren't explaining God through your own beliefs but somebody elses.

What or who is God to you?

What do you believe to be Gods plan for us?

How did he create us?

Where is God now?

Did God create the universe entirely or just us?

If he created the universe, were we planned or just a happenstance from chronological events?

Does God know everything already or is he still gaining knowledge from his observations?

Does God physically interact with us in present day or is it only psychological?

outhouse

Atheistically
Who is god?

A man made creation in theology written in mythology that has evolved over thousands of years and placed in gaps of most mens imagination

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If you need to use scripture to explain God then you aren't explaining God through your own beliefs but somebody elses.

Not so. Scriptures are not necessarily someone's beliefs, but divinely revealed. Some revealed scriptures that come to mind are the Vedas, the Bible, the Qur'an, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, and the Avesta (I believe... Zoroastrians, stand and deliver).

Pozessed

Todd
Not so. Scriptures are not necessarily someone's beliefs, but divinely revealed. Some revealed scriptures that come to mind are the Vedas, the Bible, the Qur'an, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, and the Avesta (I believe... Zoroastrians, stand and deliver).

Which came first, beliefs or intellect? If you had intellect before you had beliefs and now you can't separate your intellect from your beliefs, that would make one of the two biased wouldn't it?

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
There is no actual God, but I see many things are divine. The universe is divine, I am divine, all living beings are divine. An important aspect of divinity for me is darkness, symbolising the unknown and the subconscious as well as the time of rest, fear and exploration. It's a bit hard to put into words, to be honest.

I do have a plan for myself, yes. Other than that, there's no entity to actually plan something. Although I like to resort to Sagan here: "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

How did he create us?
See above. :D

Where is God now?
Here. Everywhere. Within us. Without us. Hidden and right around us. It gets complicated pretty fast, doesn't it?

This question simply doesn't apply.

If he created the universe, were we planned or just a happenstance from chronological events?
-

Does God know everything already or is he still gaining knowledge from his observations?
This could actually turn into a pretty interesting discussion between a few pantheists.

Does God physically interact with us in present day or is it only psychological?
Here I say psychological. Although I view divinity as something larger than the simple psyche I don't agree on something being inheritantly divine. Sanctity can only be perceived by an intelligent being, which makes it a subjective (human) quality.

Last edited:

Pozessed

Todd
There is no actual God, but I see many things are divine. The universe is divine, I am divine, all living beings are divine. An important aspect of divinity for me is darkness, symbolising the unknown and the subconscious as well as the time of rest, fear and exploration. It's a bit hard to put into words, to be honest.

I do have a plan for myself, yes. Other than that, there's no entity to actually plan something. Although I like to resort to Sagan here: "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

How did he create us?
See above. :D

Where is God now?
Here. Everywhere. Within us. Without us. Hidden and right in around us. It gets complicated pretty fast, doesn't it?

This question simply doesn't apply.

-

This could actually turn into a pretty interesting discussion between a few pantheists.

Here I say psychological. Although I view divinity as something larger than the simple psyche I don't agree on something being inheritantly divine. Sanctity can only be perceived by an intelligent being, which makes it a subjective (human) quality.
Very enlightening, thank you. I enjoyed reading your post.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Please explain using your own intellect without referring to your religion.

Huh? This is a very strange if not nonsensical request; may I ask what purpose it is intended to serve? I can't for the life of me figure out how we're supposed to explain things using our own intellects and somehow not reference our own religion - a thing which derives directly from our own intellects. It is like asking one to drive you to the grocery store but saying they can't use any fuel. You're not going to get anywhere. :confused:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Which came first, beliefs or intellect? If you had intellect before you had beliefs and now you can't separate your intellect from your beliefs, that would make one of the two biased wouldn't it?

Of course I can separate my beliefs from my intellect. I didn't go to a two year college for five years for nothing, after all. :rolleyes:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course I can separate my beliefs from my intellect.

Personally, I'm not seeing a big distinction unless someone sets forth some operational definitions of these terms. Belief is a subset of intellect, as intellect is one's mental processes or powers.

Sorry, I'm derailing the thread, aren't I? I can shut up. >_>

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Huh? This is a very strange if not nonsensical request; may I ask what purpose it is intended to serve? I can't for the life of me figure out how we're supposed to explain things using our own intellects and somehow not reference our own religion - a thing which derives directly from our own intellects. It is like asking one to drive you to the grocery store but saying they can't use any fuel. You're not going to get anywhere. :confused:
I think he was just trying to avoid a bunch of scriptural walls of text.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, I'm not seeing a big distinction unless someone sets forth some operational definitions of these terms. Belief is a subset of intellect, as intellect is one's mental processes or powers.

You have a point. :yes:

Sorry, I'm derailing the thread, aren't I? I can shut up. >_>

Why should this thread be any different from any other? It's going to go south sooner or later. :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think he was just trying to avoid a bunch of scriptural walls of text.

I suppose I can understand that, but it seems a bit unfair if that's where someone's intellect has brought them. The wording felt off to me, too; not all religion is scriptural or authoritatively dogmatic, so I read it as "I want you to discuss your religious beliefs [god-concepts are a religious belief] without mentioning anything about your religious beliefs." >_<

My brain is stupid with me sometimes.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

designer and creator

i trust that there is an afterlife and earth is the school,who will pass will be accepted.

How did he create us?

:banghead3

Where is God now?

if i can know where are you now then i could know where is he.:)

The universe entirely

i think we were planned for.

i think he is already professional but yes i think he do make observations and then evolved his creation.

i think our interaction with god is spiritual and not physical.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm actually going to respond to the topic, now. I apologize in advance for modifying some words in your questions, but I'm not a monotheist, and the way you phrased some things is awkward for me.

What or who are the gods to you?

To be sensitive to the world's god-concepts, my running definition of a deity is anything which a particular human deems sacred and worthy of honor/reverence, for whatever reason they deem acceptable. To me, there is nothing in this reality which is not sacred/holy/magical, and I have no issues with any group of humans honoring/revering any aspect of reality they want to. So in that sense, I recognize everything as gods. I do not actively worship all aspects of reality. I focus on ones that I deem particularly special and awesome, or those that are more directly relevant to my local area.

What do you believe to be the gods plan for us?

Questions like that, even when modified for a polytheistic mindset, still don't make much sense for a polytheist. I mean, the gods have different roles and agendas. Many of them couldn't care less about humanity, much less have any sort of "plan" for them.

How did the gods create us?

Consult your friendly neighborhood textbook written by academic authorities on the evolution of human life. Or, if mythic storytelling is more your style, crack open any Pagan mythos relating to the subject at your friendly neighborhood public library. I shall recount neither here.

Where are the gods now?

Everywhere.

Did the gods create the universe entirely or just us?

A caveat here: polytheists by and large do not make the strong distinction between creator and creation that the monotheistic faiths do. The gods are immanent and therefore within/part of the world. They're not some supernaturalistic external force that made things magically poof into existence. They're the ground of all being. So yes, they "created" the universe/reality and all that it is.

If the gods created the universe, were we planned or just a happenstance from chronological events?

I don't believe in happenstance. Nor do I think "plan" is the right word. Things are determined, and could not have been or be anything other than what they are. Fate, if one wants a word for it.

Does the gods know everything already or are they still gaining knowledge from their observations?

Collectively, the gods are omniscient. Individually, their knowledge is strictly limited to their domain or aspect and cannot extend beyond their capacity of awareness.

Does the gods physically interact with us in present day or is it only psychological?

Both. All things are the gods, so from that point of view, it's kind of impossible for them not to physically interact with humans on a daily basis. Those that are not in the same space-time as you can be interacted with via the otherworlds, which some would label as psychological or imaginative.

Pozessed

Todd

designer and creator

i trust that there is an afterlife and earth is the school,who will pass will be accepted.

How did he create us?

:banghead3

Where is God now?

if i can know where are you now then i could know where is he.:)

The universe entirely

i think we were planned for.

i think he is already professional but yes i think he do make observations and then evolved his creation.

i think our interaction with god is spiritual and not physical.

Thank you, I appreciate your input. Though I don't understand all my beliefs most of how I feel agrees with your rationalizations.
Thank you for the enlightenment.

Pozessed

Todd
I'm actually going to respond to the topic, now. I apologize in advance for modifying some words in your questions, but I'm not a monotheist, and the way you phrased some things is awkward for me.

What or who are the gods to you?

To be sensitive to the world's god-concepts, my running definition of a deity is anything which a particular human deems sacred and worthy of honor/reverence, for whatever reason they deem acceptable. To me, there is nothing in this reality which is not sacred/holy/magical, and I have no issues with any group of humans honoring/revering any aspect of reality they want to. So in that sense, I recognize everything as gods. I do not actively worship all aspects of reality. I focus on ones that I deem particularly special and awesome, or those that are more directly relevant to my local area.

What do you believe to be the gods plan for us?

Questions like that, even when modified for a polytheistic mindset, still don't make much sense for a polytheist. I mean, the gods have different roles and agendas. Many of them couldn't care less about humanity, much less have any sort of "plan" for them.

How did the gods create us?

Consult your friendly neighborhood textbook written by academic authorities on the evolution of human life. Or, if mythic storytelling is more your style, crack open any Pagan mythos relating to the subject at your friendly neighborhood public library. I shall recount neither here.

Where are the gods now?

Everywhere.

Did the gods create the universe entirely or just us?

A caveat here: polytheists by and large do not make the strong distinction between creator and creation that the monotheistic faiths do. The gods are immanent and therefore within/part of the world. They're not some supernaturalistic external force that made things magically poof into existence. They're the ground of all being. So yes, they "created" the universe/reality and all that it is.

If the gods created the universe, were we planned or just a happenstance from chronological events?

I don't believe in happenstance. Nor do I think "plan" is the right word. Things are determined, and could not have been or be anything other than what they are. Fate, if one wants a word for it.

Does the gods know everything already or are they still gaining knowledge from their observations?

Collectively, the gods are omniscient. Individually, their knowledge is strictly limited to their domain or aspect and cannot extend beyond their capacity of awareness.

Does the gods physically interact with us in present day or is it only psychological?

Both. All things are the gods, so from that point of view, it's kind of impossible for them not to physically interact with humans on a daily basis. Those that are not in the same space-time as you can be interacted with via the otherworlds, which some would label as psychological or imaginative.

I am sorry not to include multiple Gods, I didn't mean it to be so biased.
I like a lot of what you have to say, and am intrigued by a few things.
I appreciate the response and will look into some of the things you mentioned.