• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Were the Danites?

DeepShadow

White Crow
I was shocked to find LDS members actually defending the Danites as protectors and sentinels rather than terrorists and murderers, so I've started this thread to explore the issue. Here's what I found in the LDS CES manual "Church History in the Fulness of Times," page 191:

"Also contributing to the conflict with the gentiles was Sampson Avard's formation of an underground secret society called the Danites. This was an oathbound group with secret identification and warning signs. Avard convinced his followers that they operated with the approval of the Presidency of the Church and that they were authorized to avenge themselves against the Church's enemies by robbery, lying, and murder if necessary." (emphasis mine)

So...what evidence can anyone offer that they were merely protectors or sentinels?