• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was the "Us" at Gen 1:26?

theQuestion

Genesis does NOT specify who the "us" is- but that reference in Job, which says the angels were there, and the biblical references to God making all things THROUGH His son shows His son (before being named "Jesus") was there, too.

No Nameless Ghost-God , nor ANY Triune Travesty is mentioned.

PruePhillip

Yes I was pulling the poster's leg. I think it is just the royal "we", actually.

Yes, you find the interesting word in Acts.
Some want you to believe Acts, like the rest of the New Testament,
was some fabricated account written centuries later. But the 'we'
in the story of Paul's boat trip to Rome shows the author of Acts
and Gospel According to Luke was with Paul on that fateful last
journey.

Ebionite

Genesis does NOT specify who the "us" is- but that reference in Job, which says the angels were there, and the biblical references to God making all things THROUGH His son shows His son (before being named "Jesus") was there, too.
The word made flesh doctrine fails when the word refers to the servant as something apart from itself. Isaiah 53:11.

Iymus

It's standard linguistics. Elohim has the masculine plural yud-mem suffix, but El has no plural suffix. Also the plural of El is Elym. not Elohim.

Essentially I suspect the God of Abraham and is descendants is the only Elohim but to distinguish from false ones; Most High , Almighty, etc started to be used or incorporated.

Abraham's Father was an idolater so there needed to be a way to identify or separate the true God from the false ones

Personal name would help and was given to Moses; But at the same time when the personal name was readily available, individuals seemingly took it in vain when the children of Israel was inhabiting the land.

theQuestion

Essentially I suspect the God of Abraham and is descendants is the only Elohim but to distinguish from false ones; Most High , Almighty, etc started to be used or incorporated.

Abraham's Father was an idolater so there needed to be a way to identify or separate the true God from the false ones

Personal name would help and was given to Moses; But at the same time when the personal name was readily available, individuals seemingly took it in vain when the children of Israel was inhabiting the land.

Very True. Yet His Name is...His NAME!

Etritonakin

Was God talking to 'Themselves'?
No one else was there?
John 1:1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

.........10He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

.......14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

Some have suggested a trinity, but notice only God (the Father) and the Word who became flesh (as Christ) are mentioned as having existed from the beginning.
The spirit of God is not a separate person (and is never addressed as if so). A simple way to explain it is that the spirit is how God acts -which is why "the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters" in Genesis -yet it was the Word who became Christ that did the creating. The Word s WHO -the spirit of God is HOW.

(John 8:57Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.)

Another instance of "us"
(Gen 11:5And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. 6And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. 7Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.)

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

In the beginning there was a "being" who would later be known as the "Father" and a separate "being" who would later be known as the "son". This second "being" was at that time called the "word". The "word" or "son" was there with the "father at the very beginning. This made two "beings who were the "us". The father was not called the father at that time and the son was not called the son at that time because the son had not yet been born with a human body. But the Bible says "the word was made flesh". So we are talking about the same "being who was called the word before becoming flesh as Jesus.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So, God has a Triune Multiple Personality Disorder?

LOL... Multiple Personality Disorder is when you have three different personalities that differ from each other.

God has no difference in thoughts and doesn't have three personalities.

I think mankind has a disorder... thinking too much about themselves and thinking they know everything ;) as if they were gods.

Ebionite

The idea of "false gods" is probably the result of the prohibition of the first commandment of Exodus 20. There's a related verse from the Quran that says that Allah has no partners. Traditionally angels have been regarded as Elohim, and there's reason to think that this is also the case for prophets.

Ebionite

Ahh, a newbie BH expert ... almost. :D

see Wikipedia

Sorry, but Wikipedia is a cognitive infiltration operation. It's OK for general information but it's hopeless for anything that could threaten the status quo. The "Jewish God" that they talk about is a product of Elohist doctrine, originally Judaism was Yahwist.