• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was Sai Baba of Shirdi?

TravisJC

Namaste Hindu DIR,

I come today to ask some questions about Sai Baba of Shirdi. As a follower of Lord Shiva, did Babaji consider himself a reincarnation of Lord Shiva or is that something his followers believed he was? Also, I intend to start learning more about his life and have seen that many say Shri Sai Satcharitra is a good book to read about his life, teachings, and miracles. He has a huge following in present day but is that something he ever commented on in terms of after his death, did he want devotees to continue on with how things are now? I've read that he was the embodiment of a true saint and that is something I can respect; however, what specifically caused many to believe he was a avatar?

Thank you for reading and hope to hear from some of you soon.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Like in Bible,most information about Shirdi Sai was constructed by his followers. Yes, he has a huge following. He stayed in the corridor of a mosque. Your other questions will be answered by other people because I am an atheist Hindu and I do not believe in existence of Gods or Goddesses. So, naturally, I do not consider Shirdi Sai as anything more than a mendicant.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Namaste Hindu DIR,

I come today to ask some questions about Sai Baba of Shirdi. As a follower of Lord Shiva, did Babaji consider himself a reincarnation of Lord Shiva or is that something his followers believed he was? Also, I intend to start learning more about his life and have seen that many say Shri Sai Satcharitra is a good book to read about his life, teachings, and miracles. He has a huge following in present day but is that something he ever commented on in terms of after his death, did he want devotees to continue on with how things are now? I've read that he was the embodiment of a true saint and that is something I can respect; however, what specifically caused many to believe he was a avatar?

In my view, he was a sage that had some wisdom, like many before and after him. You can read books and biographies about him, and decide for yourself who he was.

Rarely does anyone get as much attention afterwards though. I seriously doubt that he would want that. There are probably several factors acting here. One for sure is that it's 'cool' right now. Another probably is that some folks have this psychological need for an avatar or prophet, and that probably comes mainly from the Muslim side of his devotees. So it looks to me that he is slowly being deified. I've seen statues and shrines now to him just as there is to Ganesha or Hanuman, more traditional Gods.

There is also the factor of liking to have a deceased Guru in the Guru-hopping crowd. Deceased Gurus are unable to give you any direct advice that might contradict your own ideas. So you can do whatever you want, interpret the writings any way you want. For example, if he was alive, he might well say, "Stop all this nonsensical building of statues to me." And true devotees would be obliged to listen.

ajay0

Namaste Hindu DIR,

I come today to ask some questions about Sai Baba of Shirdi. As a follower of Lord Shiva, did Babaji consider himself a reincarnation of Lord Shiva or is that something his followers believed he was? .

No, Shirdi Sai did not consider himself a reincarnation of Shiva. Due to various associations with Shiva, some devotees may have claimed Sai to be an incarnation of Shiva but it has no substance. He may be associated in some way with the energy of Shiva but not an incarnation.

Also, I intend to start learning more about his life and have seen that many say Shri Sai Satcharitra is a good book to read about his life, teachings, and miracles. He has a huge following in present day but is that something he ever commented on in terms of after his death, did he want devotees to continue on with how things are now? I've read that he was the embodiment of a true saint and that is something I can respect; however, what specifically caused many to believe he was a avatar?

He was an enlightened sage, who followed a syncretism of Hinduism and Sufism. He was in favor of advaita philosophy in Hinduism.

He spoke against casteism, inter-religious disharmony and anything else that causes divisions between human beings.

He was famous for his athletic built, mental strength and courage. He had an odd habit of sleeping on a log six feet above the ground, tied to the ceiling with old clothes, with a brick cushioned in old cloth, for a pillow.

Due to his enlightened state, there were many miracles of healing and auspiciousness associated with him, and this played a role in his widening fame. Even foreigners and westerners had miraculous experiences with him, which has been documented.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I am huge student of Sathya Sai Baba who is a different individual than Shirdi Sai Baba.

Sathya Sai Baba declares himself to be an avatar (divine incarnation). This avatar will take three bodies, the first being Shirdi Sai Baba, the second being Sathya Sai Baba (born a few years after Shirdi's death), the third being Prema Sai Baba (to be born a few years after Sai's death - Sai died in 2011).

As a student of Sathya Sai Baba I hold all three to be avatars (divine incarnations). I think many followers of Shirdi Sai Baba do not recognize or involve themselves with the last two Sai Babas.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One more reason is money. Shirdi Sai is now an industry. The trustees of the original Sai trust were involved in scams, so the government had to take the trust in its hands. Things now are a little better.

Last edited:

ajay0

I think many followers of Shirdi Sai Baba do not recognize or involve themselves with the last two Sai Babas.

Yeah, this is true. I have met many followers of Shirdi Sai who do not see a link between Shirdi Sai and Satya Sai.

The famous Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar had a picture of Shirdi Sai in his sports kit, and was also a devotee of Satya Sai .

The link is not important, imho.

The important thing is the teachings of Shirdi Sai which emphasized Advaitan unity among all beings manifest in love and compassion for all.

Brahman is pure consciousness, and pure consciousness is visible in pure love and compassion, not in a materialistic divisive mentality.

TravisJC

Rarely does anyone get as much attention afterwards though. I seriously doubt that he would want that. There are probably several factors acting here. One for sure is that it's 'cool' right now.

Thank you for replying. What do you mean by 'cool'? Do you mean cool in the sense that it's the new 'in' thing to follow the teachings of Sai Baba?

Due to his enlightened state, there were many miracles of healing and auspiciousness associated with him, and this played a role in his widening fame. Even foreigners and westerners had miraculous experiences with him, which has been documented.

This is very interesting, hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a book to read further into some of the miracles people have experience because of him.

Is Shri Sai Satcharita a good book in terms of authenticity of his life etc?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you for replying. What do you mean by 'cool'? Do you mean cool in the sense that it's the new 'in' thing to follow the teachings of Sai Baba?

Yes that's what I meant. There is a certain 'today's fad' aspect to popular Hinduism. For awhile there Satya Sai Baba was in vogue, but since his passing, that has been waning as well, with people switching over to some new guy in Bangalore, whose name I forget. It's all odd to me, but I just observe it in others.

TravisJC

For awhile there Satya Sai Baba was in vogue, but since his passing, that has been waning as well...

I've heard of Satya Sai Baba but don't intend to look into him so much. I'm just looking into Sai Baba of Shirdi because I went to a new temple and saw a life-size murti of him and was curious as to why aarti and such was being performed for him.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
No other Hindu saint has a place like Saibaba of Shirdi enjoys...

There is this small Ganesha temple I used to frequent 25 years ago, when I was raised in Chennai, India. After having migrated to the States, have not had a chance to visit this temple in all this time. When I visited the temple recently after a long time, I noticed Saibaba of Shirdi's murthi (vigraha) had been enshrined in a separate sanctum, behind the main sanctum of Ganesha. And Saibaba of Shirdi's murthi was enshrined along with a smaller Ganesha vigraha.

Also there is a Saibaba of Shirdi temple next to my mother's place in Chennai. There too, his life-size idol was present and enshrined along with Ganesha and Saraswathi idols.

Saibaba of Shirdi's "Gayathri" says, "Om Sainathaaya dheemahe sarvadevaaya dheemahi thanno sai prachodayat, om sheeradi sai, srinivaasaaya dheemahe sarvadhevaaya dheemahi tanno sai prachodayat". His devotees look upon him as incarnation of Hanuman, and some further still, as an embodiment of all devatas possible. That is, similar to how Vaishnavas view Sri Vishnu. We Vaishnavas think of Vishnu as embodiment of all devatas (all devatas are present in him). SaiBaba of Shirdi holds a similar view among devotees. Some look upon him as incarnation of Dattatreya.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've heard of Satya Sai Baba but don't intend to look into him so much. I'm just looking into Sai Baba of Shirdi because I went to a new temple and saw a life-size murti of him and was curious as to why aarti and such was being performed for him.

That is definitely a new trend. Maybe even in just the last 10 - 15 years. In the western style accommodate everyone type of temple, you see a lot of them added. Perhaps the local group of Shirdi Sai devotees made a donation of the murthi, and more, and the Board of Directors didn't want to refuse.

This is different than the Guru shrines in temples like ISKCON where it's more just honoring the founder. If you learn anything else, I'd be interested too.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No other Hindu saint has a place like Saibaba of Shirdi enjoys...

There is this small Ganesha temple I used to frequent 25 years ago, when I was raised in Chennai, India. After having migrated to the States, have not had a chance to visit this temple in all this time. When I visited the temple recently after a long time, I noticed Saibaba of Shirdi's murthi (vigraha) had been enshrined in a separate sanctum, behind the main sanctum of Ganesha. And Saibaba of Shirdi's murthi was enshrined along with a smaller Ganesha vigraha.

Also there is a Saibaba of Shirdi temple next to my mother's place in Chennai. There too, his life-size idol was present and enshrined along with Ganesha and Saraswathi idols.

Saibaba of Shirdi's "Gayathri" says, "Om Sainathaaya dheemahe sarvadevaaya dheemahi thanno sai prachodayat, om sheeradi sai, srinivaasaaya dheemahe sarvadhevaaya dheemahi tanno sai prachodayat". His devotees look upon him as incarnation of Hanuman, and some further still, as an embodiment of all devatas possible. That is, similar to how Vaishnavas view Sri Vishnu. We Vaishnavas think of Vishnu as embodiment of all devatas (all devatas are present in him). SaiBaba of Shirdi holds a similar view among devotees. Some look upon him as incarnation of Dattatreya.

But do you know why they added it, after so many years?

TravisJC

This is different than the Guru shrines in temples like ISKCON where it's more just honoring the founder. If you learn anything else, I'd be interested too.

See that's very interesting to read because I live about an hour from a BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir. Are their idols to Swaminarayan also to honor him? :confused:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
See that's very interesting to read because I live about an hour from a BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir. So their idols to Swaminarayan are to honor him? :confused:

In that sect, the Guru did get deified as an avatar of Vishnu, like Krishna and Rama before him. But it's limited to that school, and not at all widespread outside of the sect. With Shirdi Sai, it's going into the more traditional temples.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
But do you know why they added it, after so many years?

No, I did not speak to the priest. I just thought that since Shirdi Saibaba has become so hugely popular, that they had somehow thought of incorporating such a sanctum in the Ganesha shrine.

Really, everywhere I went in Chennai, all I could see was Shirdi Saibaba's pictures.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No, I did not speak to the priest. I just thought that since Shirdi Saibaba has become so hugely popular, that they had somehow thought of incorporating such a sanctum in the Ganesha shrine.

Really, everywhere I went in Chennai, all I could see was Shirdi Saibaba's pictures.

Yes, I am wondering why. Maybe it was to do with some miracle in the presence of a murthi, and that spreading? You do know how quick the Tamil gravevine is. Even my priest here, I noticed a picture on his personal home shrine that wasn't even there 3 years back. Lots of folks here sort of alternate between our Ganesha temple and the Shirdi Sai temple.

TravisJC

Any specific reason he's being held with Ganesha? You're not the first person who's mentioned Shirdi Saibaba being placed with Ganesha. Does it happen to just be the norm or is there a specific reason behind it. :rolleyes:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Any specific reason he's being held with Ganesha? You're not the first person who's mentioned Shirdi Saibaba being placed with Ganesha. Does it happen to just be the norm or is there a specific reason behind it. :rolleyes:

The only western temple where I remember seeing him was a temple in Sacramento, CA. There is a specific temple to him here in Edmonton, but I have yet to go there. Many of the other multi-murthy temples have a shrine, but I can't remember which ones specifically. I've never noticed any special relationship with Ganesha, but all temples do have a Ganesha in there somewhere. He would never be added to the temple I go (a Ganesha temple) to unless they changed the constitution. It's a board run temple, not a privately run temple, and which deities are present is enshrined in the constitution, which takes a two thirds or three quarters quorum to change.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For orthodox Hindus, he is an abomination. Dwarika Sankaracharya denounced his worship. But, like Paul, that is what his devotees/people who benefit from propagating his cult, have achieved. Swaminarayan also is a personality cult.