• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was Joseph Smith to you?

FFH

Veteran Member
Joseph Smith established the church theologically
Brigham Young established the church physically

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
D&C 135:3
3 Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it. In the short space of twenty years, he has brought forth the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God, and has been the means of publishing it on two continents; has sent the fulness of the everlasting gospel, which it contained, to the four quarters of the earth; has brought forth the revelations and commandments which compose this book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents and instructions for the benefit of the children of men; gathered many thousands of the Latter-day Saints, founded a great city, and left a fame and name that cannot be slain. He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord's anointed in ancient time, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood;...

Bishka

Veteran Member
Are you trying to insinuate that Smith was not a man???

Not at all. I'm just saying, to a normal non-LDS person, he's more then just your everyday Bob or Harry. In an outsider's look, he was able to right a book of scripture and convince people it was from God and now there is a 13 million member strong church. That's a bit more then your next door neighbor, don't you think?

yuvgotmel

Not at all. I'm just saying, to a normal non-LDS person, he's more then just your everyday Bob or Harry. In an outsider's look, he was able to right a book of scripture and convince people it was from God and now there is a 13 million member strong church. That's a bit more then your next door neighbor, don't you think?

Does that mean the President Clinton was more than a man? ... He made it to the status of U.S. President, most important leader of the entire world.

Does that mean that Einstein was more than a man? ... He changed science as we once knew it.

Does that mean that Adolf Hitler was more than a man? ... He rebuilt Germany and created social programs for the people. He was very well-liked (by some). His deeds are known even to this day.

Does that mean that Nikola Telsa were more than a man? ...Ever heard of the Montauk project? Telsa warped space and time--and made an entire ship disappear, successfully. (That was the unmanned ship experiment before the Philadelphia experiment.)

Does that mean that Elvis was more than a man? ... Or the Beatles? ...

And so... I could list names all day....

OF HUMANS... MERE MEN. ...Joseph Smith included.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Does that mean the President Clinton was more than a man? ... He made it to the status of U.S. President, most important leader of the entire world.

Does that mean that Einstein was more than a man? ... He changed science as we once knew it.

Does that mean that Adolf Hitler was more than a man? ... He rebuilt Germany and created social programs for the people. He was very well-liked (by some). His deeds are known even to this day.

Does that mean that Nikola Telsa were more than a man? ...Ever heard of the Montauk project? Telsa warped space and time--and made an entire ship disappear, successfully. (That was the unmanned ship experiment before the Philadelphia experiment.)

Does that mean that Elvis was more than a man? ... Or the Beatles? ...

And so... I could list names all day....

OF HUMANS... MERE MEN. ...Joseph Smith included.
Nobody's denying that, Mel. It's just that some men (and women) change the world and others don't. According to Joseph Smith's history, when he was not yet twenty, he was visited by a heavenly messenger who told him that "God had a work for [him] to do and that [his] name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people." Since you're so good at listing names, here's a challenge for you. How many people can you name who, with Joseph Smith's very limited education and position in life, accomplished what he did? How many seventeen year old boys from wealthy, influential, well-educated families have predicted that someday they'd be famous, but who never were? It doesn't matter to me one bit whether you think Joseph Smith was a prophet or a fraud. The fact that you, and people from all walks of life, of all religions and from all over the world, even know his name 165 years after he died is remarkable. So yes, he was just a man, but whether you like what he taught or not, whether you believe anything he said happened to him really did, give the man credit for what he accomplished, which was a lot in 38 short years. What will you be remembered for, Mel?

yuvgotmel

How many people can you name who, with Joseph Smith's very limited education and position in life, accomplished what he did?

I don't understand that question.

How many seventeen year old boys from wealthy, influential, well-educated families have predicted that someday they'd be famous, but who never were?

I have no idea, do you?

It doesn't matter to me one bit whether you think Joseph Smith was a prophet or a fraud. The fact that you, and people from all walks of life, of all religions and from all over the world, even know his name 165 years after he died is remarkable.

Well.......... LOL... To be honest, I didn't know any Joseph Smith until I came to RF. You and the other Mormons talked about that guy... I'd never heard of him before ever!

...and now that I know what I know.... ...

Oy vey... !!!

So yes, he was just a man, but whether you like what he taught or not, whether you believe anything he said happened to him really did, give the man credit for what he accomplished, which was a lot in 38 short years.

Yes he was just a man....

What will you be remembered for, Mel?

...Well technically, I don't think anyone or anything is ever forgotten totally. I believe the Universal Language will open up all memory...of everything...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't understand that question.
Well, it was pretty basic. I don't know how I could make it any more understandable.

I have no idea, do you?
No. I rest my case.

Well.......... LOL... To be honest, I didn't know any Joseph Smith until I came to RF. You and the other Mormons talked about that guy... I'd never heard of him before ever!
And to be honest, I'm not surprised. But that says more about you than it does about Joseph Smith.

yuvgotmel

Is Joseph Smith just an ordinary man that did not change the world? Or is he still your 'friendly next-door neighbor'?

Without getting into the topic of quantum mechanics and multiple dimensions and the topic of consciousness.... I will simply say this:
Until coming to RF, I didn't even know that dude.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Without getting into the topic of quantum mechanics and multiple dimensions and the topic of consciousness.... I will simply say this:
Until coming to RF, I didn't even know that dude.

And the fact that you now know that He established a Church that within less then 300 years has a population of 13 million doesn't changed your mind?