• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was Jesus Christ?

Who was Jesus?

• Jesus claimed to be the Messiah, as Moses had foretold, but he was a false Messiah

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Jesus claimed to be the Messiah, and truly He was same Messiah Moses had foretold

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Jesus never claimed to be the Messiah, this is an invented history

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Jesus did not exist even, it is an invention, a myth

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Jesus was a true Prophet of God, but not the Messiah Moses had fortold

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Jesus was a Liar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jesus was a madman who imagined he is Messiah, prophet or son of god

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Jesus was a good man, who claimed to be Messiah, but knew he is Not Messiah

• I don't really know, because I haven't investigated completely

• I don't know, because I cannot figure it out

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

InvestigateTruth

None of the choices seem to be right.

Both "Messiah" and "Christ" mean "anointed one". The four gospels have a number of accounts of Jesus' head or feet being anointed. That means he was a Christ and a Messiah just as anyone else who was anointed automatically (and technically) became a Christ and Messiah. Whether one of the anointments of Jesus was the particulr anointment that Moses was thinking of is hard to defend considering the differences in place and time.
OK, so, if I want to add another option to the poll, to represent your choice what would it be?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I am a member of the Anglican church.

From The Anglican Church in North America

Anglicanism is a worldwide body of Christians responding to God’s revelation through Jesus Christ. Anglicanism brings together the authority of the Bible, the historic faith, and the beauty of structured prayer. It is rooted in tradition, yet contemporary in practice. It is united in substance, yet diverse in expression. We are a global family living out our faith in local communities.

... God’s revelation through Jesus Christ ...

But you said:

A figment of the imagination of Paul, or whomever or however those epistles were derived or based on. Boils down to just not knowing.

So your religion is "God's revelation through a figment of the imagination"?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

Anglicanism is a worldwide body of Christians responding to God’s revelation through Jesus Christ. Anglicanism brings together the authority of the Bible, the historic faith, and the beauty of structured prayer. It is rooted in tradition, yet contemporary in practice. It is united in substance, yet diverse in expression. We are a global family living out our faith in local communities.

But you said:

That doesn't matter to some -- it's whatever the person wants to or chooses to believe even if it's not in accord with the establishment (the church) they associate with.

YoursTrue

But you said:

Some people prefer to express the idea that while their church professes a particular doctrine or set of doctrines, they as church members can believe or teach contrary to what their church says while professing to belong to that group.

Soandso

Probably your garden variety apocalyptic doomsayer/cult leader such as was common in that day and age, imo

lukethethird

unknown member

But you said:

I could be wrong.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That doesn't matter to some -- it's whatever the person wants to or chooses to believe even if it's not in accord with the establishment (the church) they associate with.
IMO, a church-- any church-- should not act like it's the Gestapo demanding that everyone walk lockstep with the church's teachings and not using their own brains.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
For those that are prepared to do a bit of reading, you might like this.

The Jesus Seminar was set up in 1985 to review the writings about Jesus and attempt to find the "historical Jesus". There were initially 30 "scholars", later to be joined by over 200 others. "... the Scholars of the Jesus Seminar represent a wide array of Western religious traditions and academic institutions. They have been trained in the best universities in North America and Europe".

The following is a quote from the site.

• Jesus of Nazareth did not refer to himself as the Messiah, nor did he claim to be a divine being who descended to earth from heaven in order to die as a sacrifice for the sins of the world. These are claims that some people in the early church made about Jesus, not claims he made about himself.
  • At the heart of Jesus’ teaching and actions was a vision of a life under the reign of God (or, in the empire of God) in which God’s generosity and goodness is regarded as the model and measure of human life; everyone is accepted as a child of God and thus liberated both from the ethnocentric confines of traditional Judaism and from the secularizing servitude and meagerness of their lives under the rule of the empire of Rome.
  • Jesus did not hold an apocalyptic view of the reign (or kingdom) of God—that by direct intervention God was about to bring history to an end and bring a new, perfect order of life into being. Rather, in Jesus’ teaching the reign of God is a vision of what life in this world could be, not a vision of life in a future world that would soon be brought into being by a miraculous act of god.
How they went about it and more details about their findings can be found on the site.

lukethethird

unknown member
I feel like he was probably something like the Trump of his era. Or Bin Laden. Someone who inspires riots while claiming to be a holy savior.
That never really occurred to me before but that could very well have been the case, or maybe more of a Pat Robertson or Earnest Angely, thick toupée and all.

Palehorse

Jesus was a great.great .great.great..grandpa to some people....that was falsely arrested tortured ..crucified and killed by jews....that's who Jesus was....dah

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jesus was a great.great .great.great..grandpa to some people....that was falsely arrested tortured ..crucified and killed by jews....that's who Jesus was....dah
He was killed by the Romans, as crucifixion was a Roman technique of execution, thus not Jewish, dah.

pearl

How they went about it and more details about their findings can be found on the site.

I remember that, but ultimately not much creditability, voting with colored stones. But there is credible scholarship who pretty much agree with the difficulty presented in an historical quest for Jesus. I still think Rudolph Bultmann nailed it.
The historical man named 'Jesus' was an eschatological Jewish prophet whose original disciples(A.D. 30's) knew him only as such, and whom the post-apostolic (i.e. non-apostolic) Hellenistic church (late first century A.D.) deified as the Son of God: "Jesus proclaimed the Kingdom of God...,...the kerygma of the Hellenistic church proclaimed Jesus as the crucified and risen Christ"

YoursTrue

@metis - It doesn't sound too cohesive to me if some are members of a church that bases its core beliefs ostensibly on the Bible and has people within it teaching that Jesus was probably not seen by many rising to heaven, or that he did not raise dead persons as if these were made up stories.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

He was killed by the Romans, as crucifixion was a Roman technique of execution, thus not Jewish, dah.
Interestingly enough I was thinking about that today. Do you believe Jesus was free of sin, wasn't he? Let's start there.