• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was Jesus Christ?

Who was Jesus?

• Jesus claimed to be the Messiah, as Moses had foretold, but he was a false Messiah

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Jesus claimed to be the Messiah, and truly He was same Messiah Moses had foretold

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Jesus never claimed to be the Messiah, this is an invented history

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Jesus did not exist even, it is an invention, a myth

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Jesus was a true Prophet of God, but not the Messiah Moses had fortold

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Jesus was a Liar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jesus was a madman who imagined he is Messiah, prophet or son of god

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Jesus was a good man, who claimed to be Messiah, but knew he is Not Messiah

• I don't really know, because I haven't investigated completely

• I don't know, because I cannot figure it out

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
He was killed by the Romans, as crucifixion was a Roman technique of execution, thus not Jewish, dah.
Just to mention, what do you think Matthew 27:1 means? it says, "Now when morning was come, all the chief priests and the elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death:" These were not Romans.

YoursTrue

He was killed by the Romans, as crucifixion was a Roman technique of execution, thus not Jewish, dah.
From what I recall from my reading, I could be wrong, but I do not believe crucifixion was an execution method used by Jews. However --

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
@metis - It doesn't sound too cohesive to me if some are members of a church that bases its core beliefs ostensibly on the Bible and has people within it teaching that Jesus was probably not seen by many rising to heaven, or that he did not raise dead persons as if these were made up stories.

Interestingly enough I was thinking about that today. Do you believe Jesus was free of sin, wasn't he? Let's start there.

Just to mention, what do you think Matthew 27:1 means? it says, "Now when morning was come, all the chief priests and the elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death:" These were not Romans.

From what I recall from my reading, I could be wrong, but I do not believe crucifixion was an execution method used by Jews. However --
All the above has nothing to do with what I posted except the last one, and the answer to that is no as stoning was the ancient Jewish method of capital punishment. It was the Romans who used crucifixion, which is why the case of Jesus was referred to Pilate.

BTW, Pilate was eventually forced to go to Rome to try and justify why he had so many crucified and he never returned to eretz Israel.

YoursTrue

All the above has nothing to do with what I posted except the last one, and the answer to that is no as stoning was the ancient Jewish method of capital punishment. It was the Romans who used crucifixion, which is why the case of Jesus was referred to Pilate.

BTW, Pilate was eventually forced to go to Rome to try and justify why he had so many crucified and he never returned to eretz Israel.
That's possible that he had so many put to death but it was certainly the Jewish leaders that brought Jesus to Pilate and wanted him dead. Matthew 27 goes into detail about this. The first two verses read: "When morning came, all the chief priests and elders of the people conspired against Jesus to put Him to death." [not the Romans] "They bound Him, led Him away, and handed Him over to Pilate the governor."
The rest of the chapter explains how Pilate was pressured into putting Jesus to death NOT BY THE ROMANS. But he being the political figure he was, gave in to the Jews.

metis

That's possible that he had so many put to death but it was certainly the Jewish leaders that brought Jesus to Pilate and wanted him dead. Matthew 27 goes into detail about this. The first two verses read: "When morning came, all the chief priests and elders of the people conspired against Jesus to put Him to death." [not the Romans] "They bound Him, led Him away, and handed Him over to Pilate the governor."
The rest of the chapter explains how Pilate was pressured into putting Jesus to death NOT BY THE ROMANS. But he being the political figure he was, gave in to the Jews.
Just a reminder that Jesus was Jewish, as were all the of the twelve apostles, as were some of his followers, and probably most other Jews living back then were not involved one way or the other. Thus, to state or imply that it was "the Jews" who led to his execution is nothing short of anti-Semitism.

lukethethird

unknown member
Just a reminder that Jesus was Jewish, as were all the of the twelve apostles, as were some of his followers, and probably most other Jews living back then were not involved one way or the other. Thus, to state or imply that it was "the Jews" who led to his execution is nothing short of anti-Semitism.
Just a reminder that first it's an uncorroborated story, and two, the gospels state that the Jews called for Jesus's execution when Pilate found no guilt.

Matthew27-20 But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.
23 “Why? What crime has he committed?” asked Pilate.

But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify him!”

YoursTrue

Actually what you are doing is anti-Christ because -- if it weren't for his Jewish compatriots and religious leaders to turn him in on charges of blasphemy plus more, the Roman governor would not have killed him. But you keep kidding yourself. It's just sad.

You might want to read the scriptural account again -- Here is what the scriptural account says, and you can keep your position which might be that the Jews had nothing to do with putting Jesus to death, right?
ANYONE can turn to God and Jesus if they want to. I wasn't there at the the time and neither were you, by the way.

So from Matthew 27,
"Now it was the governor’s custom at the feast to release to the crowd a prisoner of their choosing. 16At that time they were holding a notorious prisoner named Barabbas. 17So when the crowd had assembled, Pilate asked them, “Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?” 18For he knew it was out of envy that they had handed Jesus over to him.
19While Pilate was sitting on the judgment seat, his wife sent him this message: “Have nothing to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered terribly in a dream today because of Him.”
20But the chief priests and elders persuaded the crowds to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus put to death.
21“Which of the two do you want me to release to you?” asked the governor.
“Barabbas,” they replied.
22“What then should I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” Pilate asked.
They all answered, “Crucify Him!”
23“Why?” asked Pilate. “What evil has He done?”
But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify Him!”

metis

Just a reminder that first it's an uncorroborated story, and two, the gospels state that the Jews called for Jesus's execution when Pilate found no guilt.

Matthew27-20 But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.
23 “Why? What crime has he committed?” asked Pilate.

But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify him!”
Again, crucifixion was a Roman form of execution and that it was Pilate's decision to go forth with it. Also, many historians wince at the Barrabas narrative as it really doesn't make much sense, especially with Pilate's history of brutality.

Story telling ["myths"] is an ancient art, therefore it's always important to recognize that literalism really should not be automatically applied in all scriptural narratives. Now, determining which is myth versus which actuality happened is a challenge, needless to say.

metis

Actually what you are doing is anti-Christ because --
I stopped reading there as you are being judgmental again! Hopefully someday you'll accept Jesus' teaching that we are to "judge ye not...".

Meanwhile, you'll not see me posting back to you as I've had enough of your condescending judgementalism.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I stopped reading there as you are being judgmental again! Hopefully someday you'll accept Jesus' teaching that we are to "judge ye not...".

You are my kind of Christian and I am not even Christian, yet I hope that will be more like you. I am to weird. :D

lukethethird

unknown member
Again, crucifixion was a Roman form of execution and that it was Pilate's decision to go forth with it. Also, many historians wince at the Barrabas narrative as it really doesn't make much sense, especially with Pilate's history of brutality.

Story telling ["myths"] is an ancient art, therefore it's always important to recognize that literalism really should not be automatically applied in all scriptural narratives. Now, determining which is myth versus which actuality happened is a challenge, needless to say.
Again, Pilate couldn't find guilt, that is why he washed his hands of the affair when giving in to the crowd's cry for Christ's execution. Sure it doesn't make sense, the real Pilate wouldn't have given a second thought about crucifying a rebel rouser, but that is the narrative whether it makes sense to us or not.

metis

Again, Pilate couldn't find guilt, that is why he washed his hands of the affair when giving in to the crowd's cry for Christ's execution. Sure it doesn't make sense, the real Pilate wouldn't have given a second thought about crucifying a rebel rouser, but that is the narrative whether it makes sense to us or not.
Just as an explanation, I'm not a scriptural literalist nor a believer in biblical inerrancy.

YoursTrue

Meanwhile, you'll not see me posting back to you as I've had enough of your condescending judgementalism.
You can stop reading, but by saying my post quoting from the BIBLE is "anti-semitic," maybe you think your accusation is ok? You can stop reading, but here is what the BIBLE (not me) says:
"The Jews answered him: “We have a law, and according to the law he ought to die, because he made himself God’s son.” John 19:7 Pilate took the accusation very seriously. True that Pilate had the authority and the Jews did not but -- he was handed over to Pilate accused by -- who?? Some Jews were Jesus' first disciples. Nothing "anti-semitic" about that. Nothing anti-semitic about recognizing truth and salvation by means of Jesus.

YoursTrue

Just as an explanation, I'm not a scriptural literalist nor a believer in biblical inerrancy.
This has nothing to do with what the Bible says. You can and do believe what you want and perhaps you don't believe that Jesus died and rose from the dead -- But the Bible says, "We have a law,” answered the Jews, “and according to that law He must die, because He declared Himself to be the Son of God.”

YoursTrue

If a woman opts to have an abortion, who is responsible for the fetus's death, her or the abortionist?

YoursTrue

That's ok, while it doesn't surprise me I have a somewhat different reaction since I doubt you believe Jesus even rose from the dead anyway. Soooo you have a good evening! You've helped me whether you realize it or not.

muhammad_isa

Actually what you are doing is anti-Christ because -- if it weren't for his Jewish compatriots and religious leaders to turn him in on charges of blasphemy plus more, the Roman governor would not have killed him. But you keep kidding yourself. It's just sad..
No. That is anti-semetic.
@metis is right. Jesus was a Jew, and so were the disciples.
it was the SANHEDRIN that despised him. He threatened their power and status,
by claiming that he had direct authority from "the Father" i.e. G-d