• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was Baha'u'llah?

Who was Baha'u'llah?

• Baha'u'llah claimed to be a Manifestation of God, and truly He was the Manifestation of God.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Baha'u'llah claimed to be return of Christ, but He was a Liar

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Bahaullah claimed to be Messenger of God and He was sincere but He was delusional

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Baha'u'llah was a good man with good intentions but He knew He is not a Prophet

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Bahaullah was a philosopher, and never claimed to be return of Christ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know and I don't even care

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I don't know, because I have not investigated

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I don't know for sure, because I cannot figure it out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is not possible to really know

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Social teachings have nothing to with beliefs. They have to with laws the believer has to do, if they are to please God in their religion. Also there may be different emphasis on what virtues should be practiced most of all. Then in the case of Baha'i Faith, for instance, we emphasize the oneness of mankind today, because the time has come for that. Independent investigation of truth was at the top of the list of what Abdu'l-Baha advocated when He came to the West in His travels. In Muhammad's time because He was in the midst of polytheists God warned through Him not to "join other gods with God".
The claim is that the spiritual laws remain unchanged, but the social laws change. So, in which ever order you think they were revealed in, what were the social laws that were changed between Hinduism to Buddhism and to Judaism? Then, after that, what were the social laws that Jesus changed?

Then... what about the changes in beliefs in each religion?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Like what? We have seen the texts which it the most important elelment to your beliefs and claims as a Baha'i, and they have a lot of problems. The problems are not resolved in the texts, so what else is there? What gets investigated?

Baha'i are not the best spokespeople for their religion. You accuse others of some deficiencies you can't name, but the actions of the Baha'i do not present an image of people who have some unique wisdom. Quite the contrary.

I think many believers are so absorbed in their beliefs that they lack the realization that these debates are not just about the ideas, but who the claimants are. Theists lack evidence, so they would be smart to act in such a way that implies they are wise and have learned something special and unique. Believers tend to act in a fairly uniform manner, and this is a liability for any of them claiming their view is special and rises above all others.
Has there ever been a problem with believers taking things to far and imposing their beliefs and laws on others? Why expect them to be able to give verifiable, objective evidence for their prophets, Gods and beliefs? Even though they can't prove it, what is the harm in letting a religion grow and become so large that they can impose their laws and beliefs on others?

Like... what if the Baha'i Faith are from God? Then we should listen and do as they say. Things like getting all nations to disarm. What could possibly go wrong?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I think the best way to go about it is considering all paths and wayshowers to see if a truly valuable and meaningful way of life has been expounded and then see if that tree has born any 'fruit' in individual lives and in the world. You judge a tree by its fruit, its essence and form.
Well, you are much more trusting and in a higher spiritual plane then I am. I don't see any religion, mostly those that are considered to be "organized" religions, being completely good. There will be some good fruit and some bad. I think the Baha'i Faith has already shown signs of being authoritarian. Too many, like in maybe all of the relatives of their prophet got kicked out. That's not very good fruit.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Like what? We have seen the texts which it the most important elelment to your beliefs and claims as a Baha'i, and they have a lot of problems. The problems are not resolved in the texts, so what else is there? What gets investigated?
Yes, we have investigated, maybe not as deeply as they would like. Or maybe it's that we are investigating and finding things that we weren't supposed to find? Or, like with credible evidence, expected to find but couldn't find any. And their stance is saying, "Well, look again. It there. It's only the spiritually blind that can't see it." Oops! I can't see it. Or, they have their Baha'is tinted glasses on and everything Baha'i looks rosy.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Too many, like in maybe all of the relatives of their prophet got kicked out. That's not very good fruit.
The ones who were Covenant-breakers got kicked out because they were not very good fruit and their rotten fruit had the potential to destroy the good fruit.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Has there ever been a problem with believers taking things to far and imposing their beliefs and laws on others?
I don't think we can trust any religion when they have an ideology that marginalizes any group or category of people. I don;t care how much they try to promote unity and decency, they still have followers who are flawed people and greedy for power and significance. It is easy to use power aganst others when ideology is used as the basis for authority.
Why expect them to be able to give verifiable, objective evidence for their prophets, Gods and beliefs? Even though they can't prove it, what is the harm in letting a religion grow and become so large that they can impose their laws and beliefs on others?
If they are going to impose actual rules on lives then they need more than their weak evidence. No mortal can claim a divine authority without that divine being a fact. The kings through time, and even governments that are theocracies, use God as wwindow dressing for their own authority. It's an excuse for human failings, not service to to an actual God.
Like... what if the Baha'i Faith are from God? Then we should listen and do as they say. Things like getting all nations to disarm. What could possibly go wrong?
I think this idea is an unrealistic ideal as it assumes humans are more like Vulcans, who are emotionally detached and highly rational, and not the flawed humans we are. The funny thing about this Baha'i ideal is that Baha'u'llah actually seemed to think humans could do this. The followers actually think it can be done. It's all naive and ignores the reality of human psychology. There are way too many immature and reactionary citizens all over the world, and we see these numbers represented in all those who vote for authoritarian leaders. If Baha'u'llah was actually wise he would have advocated for a movement of education, emotional stability, maturity, and civic duty. He should have put pressure on the individual toowards self-efficacy instead of being a follower, like other religions do. But this isn't what many humans want, or capable of, as we see with how Krishnamurti handled his life and philosophy. He was raised to be a guru, the leadewr of the Order of the Star of the East. And when he was in control, he disbanded it and became an anti-guru. He advocated for people being their own person and working towards their own path, not to be a follower. It shook up a lot of people and they didn't know what to do. But I think he had the right approach. He never got a lot of students and I suspect that is because many humans are lazy and not very mature. It is easier to be a follower and a believer.

Yes, we have investigated, maybe not as deeply as they would like. Or maybe it's that we are investigating and finding things that we weren't supposed to find?
The dilemma with Baha'u'llah's texts is that they are too wordy and seem like he's trying too hard to be a guru. Real leaders can be concise and to the point. They have to be coherent and not seem like they are trying to sell you a product. I think those wanting to be a follower will be attracted to it. The confused language sounds like there's something in the meaning, and the follower has to work to interpret. Like a mystery novel, where the reader tries to figure out who done it. There's nothing svecial about what Baha'u'llah wrote, and it's not well done. And let's not forget the bigotry, which to my mind is the one thing that makes it all invalid as any sort of truth. If you advocate for bigotry, you're done in the modern era. And moral people will be turned off completely. And how do you create unity when you directly divide off gay people from society? That is what we see in the comments on RF.
Or, like with credible evidence, expected to find but couldn't find any. And their stance is saying, "Well, look again. It there. It's only the spiritually blind that can't see it." Oops! I can't see it. Or, they have their Baha'is tinted glasses on and everything Baha'i looks rosy.
Even if there was evidence (let's be honest, all Baha'i have as evidence is taking Baha'u'llah at his word, and as noted he's a bigot, so his character and wisdom is in question) it would be a problem for decent and moral people to join a religion that is overtly homophobic. I have to wonder how the forum Baha'i can live with themselves knowing they have joined a religion that is prejudiced, but also claims their motive is unity. It doesn't work.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The ones who were Covenant-breakers got kicked out because they were not very good fruit and their rotten fruit had the potential to destroy the good fruit.
Just because someone brands someone a heretic, or a "covenant breaker" does not mean that they in fact have 'rotten fruit'. That can just mean that whoever in charge and doesn't like someone who challenges them, calls them terms like that in order to discredit their legitimate challenges. "Don't listen to my opponent! He's a sinner!!!" That's all just political rhetoric.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Just because someone brands someone a heretic, or a "covenant breaker" does not mean that they in fact have 'rotten fruit'. That can just mean that whoever in charge and doesn't like someone who challenges them, calls them terms like that in order to discredit their legitimate challenges. "Don't listen to my opponent! He's a sinner!!!" That's all just political rhetoric.
I only meant "rotten fruit" in a particular context, because they are causing division within the Baha'i Faith.
The challenge is legitimate. One either follows the Covenant of Baha'u'llah or they break it. In this case it is black or white.
I do not expect anyone who is not a Baha'i to understand that.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I only meant "rotten fruit" in a particular context, because they are causing division within the Baha'i Faith.
Jesus caused division within the Jewish religion. Would a Baha'i consider his teachings to be "rotten fruit"?
The challenge is legitimate. One either follows the Covenant of Baha'u'llah or they break it. In this case it is black or white.
Black and white thinking by its very nature is error itself.
I do not expect anyone who is not a Baha'i to understand that.
You don't think a non-Baha'i can recognize human fallacies, such as politics and black and white dogmatisms? This is not unique to the Baha'i. I commented on it because it's the exact same animal you find in Christianity and any other group that identifies itself with a certain ideology and belief, run by a hierarchical structure of authoritarianism.

Branding people heretics and covenant breakers is nothing new in humanity.

spanish inquisition.JPG

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Even if there was evidence
So many Bible and NT stories provided better evidence then the Baha'i Faith. But even the Baha'i Faith doesn't believe most of it. The flood, the plagues against Egypt. sending fire and brimstone down on Sodom and Gomorrah, parting the seas, Moses' cane turning into a snake, talking animals, writing on the wall, manna from heaven. a pillar of smoke guiding the Hebrews, the walls of Jericho falling down, Elijah calling down fire from heaven.

Then the NT... a star moving in the sky guiding the Magi, two people brought back to life, Jesus walking on water and the various healings, people coming out of their tombs in Jerusalem, God speaking from heaven, and Jesus coming back to life and then ascending into the clouds. Real, verifiable evidence? Or made-up stories to get people to believe in God and Jesus? Or... as the Baha'is say, "These stories weren't literal. They were symbolic."

But then what I don't understand, why do Baha'is stand by the virgin birth? Why don't Baha'is call that "symbolic" also?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
The claim is that the spiritual laws remain unchanged, but the social laws change. So, in which ever order you think they were revealed in, what were the social laws that were changed between Hinduism to Buddhism and to Judaism? Then, after that, what were the social laws that Jesus changed?

Then... what about the changes in beliefs in each religion?
As to Hinduism and Buddhism I don't know enough about what Krishna had to say social laws, but Buddha had laws for His monks, and a less stringent set of laws to follow for the others. Whatever laws were in the Indian sub-continent had nothing to do with the laws in the Middle East, the Dharmic and Abrahamic lines were different because they existed in different parts of the world, with different points of view of each respective area. That didn't make one area or the other wrong, though. It is like the story if you know of it of the blind man and the elephant. He felt different parts of the elephant and came to different conclusions, but it is the same elephant.

Mainly, Christ broadened the ten commandments into more stringent laws usually, changed the divorce law, and altered the Sabbath day law. The rest of the laws as far as I can tell were abolished. The last is controversial about what He did with those laws to some extent. He did seem to add a supper in commemoration of Himself. (What is popularly called communion.). John the Baptist baptized. I honestly don't know if Christians were to continue that. Christ Himself never baptized anyone as far as I know. I may just not remember that He did, but I don't think He did.

There is a gradual unfolding about spiritual reality from one Prophet to the next. The next adds to the former our understanding. The followers interpret those teachings as they will.

There are definitely more laws in Islam than in Christianity, after Christ had fewer laws than Moses. This is just what they willed for those times which were different.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I think the Baha'i Faith has already shown signs of being authoritarian. Too many, like in maybe all of the relatives of their prophet got kicked out. That's not very good fruit.
What you say is true, most did, but you need to consider what these relatives did. Being in proximity with Baha'u'llah because they were family doesn't mean that they will necessarily not try to take charge themselves after Baha'u'llah's passing. In fact, like a Royal family, it increases the temptation, and being a relative of His increases their pride.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Whatever laws were in the Indian sub-continent had nothing to do with the laws in the Middle East, the Dharmic and Abrahamic lines were different because they existed in different parts of the world
That was my point. Some Baha'is make it sound as though each new manifestation brings new social laws that do away with the previous set of social laws. But people in different places, with different cultures, had their own laws and religions that fit their culture. They didn't get replaced by new laws from the new manifestation. And, to me, most of time the new religion and its laws and beliefs replaced the laws and beliefs of the old religion was when the new religion was forced on the people and their old religion was outlawed.

Even today, hasn't the Baha'i Faith been slow to incorporate some of its laws in the West? Especially like the law forbidding homosexuality. Right now, that would not come across very well. Just knowing it is there, ready to be implemented, has given some people a reason to discount the Baha'i Faith as having unreasonable and outdated laws and beliefs.

Muffled

Jesus in me
John 16:13 is not talking about giving the authors of the gospels, whoever they actually might have been, behind the scenes details of what happened when the disciples weren't there so they could fill in gaps in their narrative stories about Jesus! :) Reading it that way is in fact, total speculation on your part.

To quote that verse you are referring to in full:

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.​

That has to do with being led by the Spirit, listening to the guidance of God in your life and situations, and also in the gift of prophecy looking to future events.

Applying that to try to make your idea that somehow the authors of the gospels got secret information that they were not privy to, so they could write the gospels "as if" they were actually eyewitnesses when they weren't even there, is as a huge stretch of meaning here. It's stretching the meaning of that verse beyond all possible recognition.

You may as well claim you can tell us what Abraham Lincoln said to his mother when he was five years old on one particular Sunday afternoon, because the Holy Ghost told you. :) There's no way you can read that verse to suggest that is what it promises believers.
I believe it is not a stretch to view guidance as being more than what you wish it to be. Actually what basis do you have for constricting the term to mere personal leading?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I voted for the first option, with a 'modifier'. All I believe are a manifestation of 'God' :) 'God' being that one omnipresent essence and original reality from which all things and beings spring and inhere within, The Infinite ONE, that is All in all. - so far in my studies in Bahai, its got some great universal principles to live by, religious values and ideals that tend towards unity, justice and compassion for all peoples, a united brotherhood similar to the aims of the Theosophical Society, which are commendable. Instead of only highly praising or demeaning the messenger, lets evaluate the message and then the fruit of the teachings and their principles :)

-----------------o
I believe that is possible but it won't get you into the Kingdom of God and eternal life.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I believe that is difficult to determine. There are other possibilities: Delusion or people misunderstanding him.
Determining any religion is a fraud can be easy for some and difficult for others. For a born-again Christian to call Islam, the Baha'i Faith and other religions frauds isn't hard at all. They use their interpretation of Bible and the NT and it is obvious to them that those religions don't teach the "truth" about God and Jesus.

It's even easy for one sect of Christianity to call another sect a fraud and a cult.

What's difficult is to look at the good most all religions have done and call them frauds. But even then, for me it is easy to see that the religion can be totally made up but still, because the religious teaches people to do good and be loving and kind, to have a positive effect.

I use the Mormons as an example. I don't believe the Book of Mormon is true. Yet, there's plenty of great and good people that are Mormons. But how much difference is there between the Bible and the Book of Mormon? For some people they both sound like nothing but made-up stories. And yet, there's plenty of good people that believe the Bible.

But I do think it depends on those people truly believing that their Scriptures are true and then applying them. And, of course, some people applying in wrong ways. So, there's lots of examples of people doing horrible things in the name of their religion.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Determining any religion is a fraud can be easy for some and difficult for others. For a born-again Christian to call Islam, the Baha'i Faith and other religions frauds isn't hard at all. They use their interpretation of Bible and the NT and it is obvious to them that those religions don't teach the "truth" about God and Jesus.

It's even easy for one sect of Christianity to call another sect a fraud and a cult.

What's difficult is to look at the good most all religions have done and call them frauds. But even then, for me it is easy to see that the religion can be totally made up but still, because the religious teaches people to do good and be loving and kind, to have a positive effect.

I use the Mormons as an example. I don't believe the Book of Mormon is true. Yet, there's plenty of great and good people that are Mormons. But how much difference is there between the Bible and the Book of Mormon? For some people they both sound like nothing but made-up stories. And yet, there's plenty of good people that believe the Bible.

But I do think it depends on those people truly believing that their Scriptures are true and then applying them. And, of course, some people applying in wrong ways. So, there's lots of examples of people doing horrible things in the name of their religion.
I believe I have seen too much of that. I prefer to get to a complete understanding and I wouldn't say that about any religion. However I can tell whether the fruit is good to eat or poisonous. I used to do mushroom hunting with my mother and she had a handbook of what was edible and what was poisonous. Sometimes the mushrooms were difficult to tell apart.

I believe that is because no church has it completely correct. However it is not because any are practicing deception but simply because their interpretations are incorrect. Except of course for the Mormons who have well covered up the source for the Book of Mormon.

I believe Jesus put it quite succinctly. None of your good deeds will do you any good if you don't know Jesus as Lord and Savior.

I believe there is not much difference but the fact is that the Book of Mormon is presented as the Word of God and it is not anymore than The Greatest Story Ever Told which reflects what was written in the Bible but is still a work of fiction.

WonderingWorrier

There is a test for confirming prophets truth. It is said they will be known by their fruits. And it asks a specific question.

"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?" Matthew 7:16

And my answer to that question is yes they do.

Because I can hear their grapes are in their place of thorns, and their figs are in their place of thistles.

The high places also of Aven, the sin of Israel, shall be destroyed: the thorn and the thistle shall come up on their altars; and they shall say to the mountains, Cover us; and to the hills, Fall on us. Hosea 10:8

Prophets put different word symbols into alignment with their speech. They are very specific in what they are saying.
They are speaking an interweaving multiple layers of symbols into specific positions.

That is the reason why there are grapes in the same position as thorns, and figs in the same position as thistles.

A fruit is known by another symbol which can be confirmed sharing its same position. It is a sign language.

So it is easy to see which prophets speak like this. Prophecy is word placement so we can see which prophecies are true. They "happen" as their positioning is confirmed.

Do any writings of Baha'u'llah have a sentence where he puts two seemingly unrelated words together like two symbols?
Any two keywords in a single sentence that are also used in writings of the Bible or the Quran?

We can check his fruit. Just as there are figs in the thistles there are also figs in the stars. Like what does Baha'u'llah say about the moon , the stars, and the sun? Or what does he say about valleys, the hills and the mountains? What does he say about the sea, the river, and the stream?

What symbols does he attach to them?

Can Baha'u'llah show in his words that he gathers the figs in thistles in the hills?
Can he show he gathers the grapes in thorns in the mountains?