• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was Bahá'u'lláh in your tradition?

Who was Bahá'u'lláh?

• A Manifestation of God

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • A Prophet

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • An ordinary man

• A man who was a gifted teacher

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never heard of the man

• A misguided man

• False prophet

• None of these answers, but I think he was ...

• Total voters

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
This question is mainly for Baha'i's but open for anyone who would like to offer some respectful thoughts or insights.

I think that Bahá'u'lláh was an ordinary man but gifted teacher who started a new religion inspired by the teachings of Islam with similar universal aspirations.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
This question is mainly for Baha'i's
Essentially by definition a Baha'i would have to say 'A Manifestation of God' or he is not a Baha'i.

My personal opinion (as an ex-Baha'i but not an anti-Baha'i) is that he was a prophet that received and wrote inspired messages.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There would be a varied opinion from the Hindus, obviously. I'm guessing that in my tradition (as I don't actually know) that he would be totally irrelevant.

I also have my personal opinions, having read some of his stuff, and interacted with a few Baha'is here.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I studied a little when I came across a Baha'i (Church?) That was set up in an old storefront during my CoF.

It struck me more as being a personality based martyrdom cult then anything else. Much like Christianity is.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
This question is mainly for Baha'i's but open for anyone who would like to offer some respectful thoughts or insights.

I think that Bahá'u'lláh was an ordinary man but gifted teacher who started a new religion inspired by the teachings of Islam with similar universal aspirations.
I agree with what I have colored in magenta.
I find many Bahai friends now in the forum, with them I will study Bahaullah. My approach of study or research of a religion is that both the claims and the reason, in brief, should be from the core book of the founder of a religion.
This method* was stated by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad in a World Religions Conference in 1896 in Lahore in a lecture that was organized on insistence of Swami Sadhu Shugan Chandar of Hinduism.
Regards

Sundance

Premium Member
Greetings, Friend Marcion. Hare Krishna! As a former Bahá’í, I can't say that I see Bahá’u’lláh as the Kalki Avatar. I have come to accept that for it to be said of Him (or anyone as of now) in any sense is, quite honestly, misguided. Kalki is not due on the Earth for yet uhhh...426,000 years (give or take). Notwithstanding this, I still honor Him as a great teacher of Truth, a God-inspired soul, and (perhaps) a dharmic expansion of Lord Krishna on Earth, like Jesus or Muhammad.

Jai Shri Krishna!

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Your thread is almost a mirror image of another.

Who was Krishna in your tradition?

Who is Baha'u'llah? For me it is He Whom I turn for spiritual guidance and sustenance, He who replenshes my weary soul and inspires me to that which I never thought possible. He is my greatest friend in times of need, and my solace and comfort during my darkest hours. It is Him I turn for assistance as I am drawn to the One True God, the Unknowable Essence, The Infinite. Through Him, His Teachings through all the prophets, avatars, messengers, and great spiritual teachers have been fulfilled. Who other than God to turn to in these changing days and who other than the Manifestation of Himself who brings to light the eternal Dharma can guide humanity through what lies ahead.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As I am a Baha'i I see Baha'u'llah as the Spirit that is in all God's Messengers and Prophets. The Cause of all our positive inspiration, the cause of our lives.

I see Baha'u'llah is the fulfillment of all prophecy about the promised day when all humanity will find peace and unity. What a great day to live in, when this prophecy is still unfolding.

Peace be to all, regards Tony

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Mirza Hussein Ali Nouri known as Bahaullah among Bahaism people does not fit under any
blessed*
religious status
mentioned in Quran/Islam/Muhammad. Neither Quran does approve his claims nor they have given any verses together with verses in the context and then proved truthfulness of their point of
view from them. They are hesitant to do it, perhaps they realize that Mirza Hussein Ali Nouri's claims are just claims.

Regards

[4:70]
And whoso obeys Allah and this Messenger of His shall be among those on whom Allah has bestowed His blessings*, namely, the Prophets, the Truthful, the Martyrs, and the Righteous. And excellent companions are these.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 4: Al-Nisa'

Last edited:

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma

Mirza Hussein Ali Nouri known as Bahaullah among Bahaism people does not fit under any
blessed*
religious status
mentioned in Quran/Islam/Muhammad. Neither Quran does approve his claims nor they have given any verses together with verses in the context and then proved truthfulness of their point of
view from them. They are hesitant to do it, perhaps they realize that Mirza Hussein Ali Nouri's claims are just claims.'
A bit like Christianity not approving of the Mormon claims of "new revelations"?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:

Mirza Hussein Ali Nouri known as Bahaullah among Bahaism people does not fit under any blessed*
religious status mentioned in Quran/Islam/Muhammad. Neither Quran does approve his claims nor they have given any verses together with verses in the context and then proved truthfulness of their point of view from them. They are hesitant to do it, perhaps they realize that Mirza Hussein Ali Nouri's claims are just claims.'
A bit like Christianity not approving of the Mormon claims of "new revelations"?
Likewise I believe the claim of the Mormon's founder of having "new revelations", is not correct. Right,please?

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There would be a varied opinion from the Hindus, obviously. I'm guessing that in my tradition (as I don't actually know) that he would be totally irrelevant.

I also have my personal opinions, having read some of his stuff, and interacted with a few Baha'is here.
In my Ahmadiyya peaceful Islam, Bahaullah was definitely not a truthful prophet, he did not have Seal of Authenticity from Muhammad to be a prophet/messenger of G-d, after him (Muhammad).
Regards

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe he was a religious philosopher drawing from Christian and Muslim traditions to some extent. I don't think he was a very good teacher because his sayings are too wordy and sometimes difficult to understand.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Essentially by definition a Baha'i would have to say 'A Manifestation of God' or he is not a Baha'i.

My personal opinion (as an ex-Baha'i but not an anti-Baha'i) is that he was a prophet that received and wrote inspired messages.

I believe you should name a prophecy that was fulfilled.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I would see him just as any other person. Many people in history have stories and true characteristics based on whats best assume of someone who has passed away. Giving height to someone I don't know and haven't met is a far fetched idea to see him more than any other human with a dazzling smile.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I studied a little when I came across a Baha'i (Church?) That was set up in an old storefront during my CoF.

It struck me more as being a personality based martyrdom cult then anything else. Much like Christianity is.

I read a biography somewhere. I don't remember if it was a book or the Internet. The fore runner of the B man acted like a John the Baptist to announce the B man but also as the Mahdi which is what got him killed since the leader of Persia at the time considered that a threat. The B man acted in a non-violent way like Jesus. He was persona non grata in the Muslim world and ended up in the Levant which was more tolerant.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I agree with what I have colored in magenta.
I find many Bahai friends now in the forum, with them I will study Bahaullah. My approach of study or research of a religion is that both the claims and the reason, in brief, should be from the core book of the founder of a religion.
This method* was stated by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad in a World Religions Conference in 1896 in Lahore in a lecture that was organized on insistence of Swami Sadhu Shugan Chandar of Hinduism.
Regards

I disagree. I believe he was an extraordinary man and worthy of study but I have to agree with others on here that he is irrelevant. I believe only Jesus has relevance.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I believe you should name a prophecy that was fulfilled.
I used the word 'prophet' as defined by Merriam-Webster's dictionary:

PROPHET

1 : one who utters divinely inspired revelations: such as

a) often capitalized : the writer of one of the prophetic books of the Bible

b) capitalized : one regarded by a group of followers as the final authoritative revealer of God's will Muhammad, the Prophet of Allah

And I have seen Baha'i scholars also point to predictions that were fulfilled. But my post was not written to promote that aspect of Baha'i scriptures.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I used the word 'prophet' as defined by Merriam-Webster's dictionary:

PROPHET

1 : one who utters divinely inspired revelations: such as

a) often capitalized : the writer of one of the prophetic books of the Bible

b) capitalized : one regarded by a group of followers as the final authoritative revealer of God's will Muhammad, the Prophet of Allah

And I have seen Baha'i scholars also point to predictions that were fulfilled. But my post was not written to promote that aspect of Baha'i scriptures.

I believe the Qu'ran and the Bah'ais refer to those hearing from God and writing about it as messengers but I suppose the term can be redefined and used in other ways.