• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who wants to talk about Satan?!

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Since I Can't post in the DIR I'll make a thread here. It's been a few years actually, I'm certain to meet many new people and I hope to encounter many of my old friends here.

The literal translations of "Satan" mean "opposition" or "adversary". By this definition, any and all "God(s)" are essentially a Satan to the will of nature and the universe as we know it, based in entropy and self preservation. And so, I conjure that not only is every God Satan, but Satan is the universe itself, as conflict is inherit in the ways of all the cosmos. It is the trial of existence, this is Satan. So in essence we live in Satan's kingdom, a realm of opposition.

I believe in many ways certain aspects of the Bible imply this, especially if you think of mystery Babylon and the tower Babel. I will also include the book of Enoch into this and Septuagint, although some verses in KJV are the same, like Mark 7:6-7. There are plenty of examples, like in the story of Job, where the will of God and of Satan are the same, only God is holding the reigns of his will "Satan". Jesus is even quoted as threatening to become (a) "Satan" and advising others not the be a "Satan" towards him.

What do you think?
I think that they aren't the same nor do they have the same mind.

God is eternal - Satan is not
God sits on the throne - Satan has been dethroned.
God will remain in His abode - Satan will end up in the Lake of Fire.

There are others but certainly not God. He will be a god to anyone who wants him to be one.

But that is just the Christian perspective.

PruePhillip

Since I Can't post in the DIR I'll make a thread here. It's been a few years actually, I'm certain to meet many new people and I hope to encounter many of my old friends here.

The literal translations of "Satan" mean "opposition" or "adversary". By this definition, any and all "God(s)" are essentially a Satan to the will of nature and the universe as we know it, based in entropy and self preservation. And so, I conjure that not only is every God Satan, but Satan is the universe itself, as conflict is inherit in the ways of all the cosmos. It is the trial of existence, this is Satan. So in essence we live in Satan's kingdom, a realm of opposition.

I believe in many ways certain aspects of the Bible imply this, especially if you think of mystery Babylon and the tower Babel. I will also include the book of Enoch into this and Septuagint, although some verses in KJV are the same, like Mark 7:6-7. There are plenty of examples, like in the story of Job, where the will of God and of Satan are the same, only God is holding the reigns of his will "Satan". Jesus is even quoted as threatening to become (a) "Satan" and advising others not the be a "Satan" towards him.

What do you think?

My biblical understanding is that Satan is a fallen angel.
Some of the characteristics of Satan "and his fallen angels" is very real in living people.
I am okay in believing in Satan. If you believe in God then it's no big stretch to believe there are those in heaven who recoiled from serving Him as humans do.

Jumi

Of course it is simplistic, of course it is a generalization.
People have written whole books about this, I put it succinctly in a few lines.
Whole books, really? Well I guess you're all set, someone's written a book you agree with on it.

74x12

What do you think?
Satan is literally a being as real as you or I. He's an angel a "Cherubim" in the Hebrew who sinned in heaven and decided to rebel against God with other like minded angels. They took their conspiracy to earth and have been recruiting humans for a long time.

Mystery Babylon is a "mystery" that is it's not openly Babylonian. But secretly it is Babylonian. They worship according to the rites and rituals of old Babylon in secret. They may trace the origins of their rites to Nimrod the builder of the tower of Babel. Babel = Babelon or Babylon. The word Babylon comes from the Greek, but in Hebrew(Babel) it's closer to the actual Babylonian name itself: Babilu.

In Babylonian it may mean something like "gate of the gods" and in Hebrew it means confusion.

Washington D.C. was designed by freemasons. It's basically a Babylonian wonderland. It's not Christian at all. In spite of people claiming the USA was founded by Christians. Well yes, Christians(from the Puritans) but also Freemasons. The Obelisk in Washington is symbolic of a phallus and there are corresponding obelisks in London, Rome(Vatican city) and Paris. These four cities are some of the most powerful cities in the world. Definitely the most powerful cities in the West.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
Whole books, really? Well I guess you're all set, someone's written a book you agree with on it.
Why would I want to read a book I agree with?
I want to expand my knowledge and views, not reinforce them.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Satan is a scapegoat for people who don't want to take responsibility.
Thought that was Jesus.

Satan is literally a being as real as you or I. He's an angel a "Cherubim" in the Hebrew who sinned in heaven and decided to rebel against God with other like minded angels.
So much for "nothing bad will happen in heaven". God should really fire the guy who writes the brochures.

74x12

So much for "nothing bad will happen in heaven". God should really fire the guy who writes the brochures.
Lol, :D well when people get there nothing bad will happen to them because they are already tested(on the earth) so there is no way they will be tempted in heaven.

Jumi

Why would I want to read a book I agree with?
I don't know. What books have you read on religions from a contrary perspective to yours?

I want to expand my knowledge and views, not reinforce them.
Considering your succinct idea conveyed less than expansive knowledge on the topic, I think it's not one of your interests.

Holdasown

What do you think?

It think of Satan as a God's persecutor. He is in Heaven and works to accuse those who stand in front of God for judgement. Jesus is a defense attorney. That said Lucifer is a demon and totally different but that's just me.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I don't know. What books have you read on religions from a contrary perspective to yours?

Considering your succinct idea conveyed less than expansive knowledge on the topic, I think it's not one of your interests.
What a rude answer / query / statement!

For your information, other than most of The Bible, I've read a CS Lewis book, one on the History of Christianity by Diarmaid Mc(Someone???); l 've read a Islamic book by Ed Hussein; Simon Schama's Jewish History; even one on the Mormons and of course the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
I'm sure there are more but that is all that come to mind

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

What do you think?

satan is an aspect of god; which is righteous anger.

1 Chronicles
21 Satan rose up against Israel and caused David to take a census of the people of Israel.

2 Samuel
24 The Lord was angry with Israel again, and he caused David to turn against the Israelites. He said, “Go, count the people of Israel and Judah.”

satan is associated with fire and hell; so is god

Deuteronomy 4:24
For the Lord thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

Numbers 31:23
anything that will not burn—into the fire, and then it will be clean. But also purify those things with the cleansing water. Then they will be clean. If something cannot stand the fire, wash it with the water.

Zechariah 13:9
The third that is left I will test with fire, purifying them like silver, testing them like gold. Then they will call on me, and I will answer them. I will say, ‘You are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The Lord is our God.’”

Malachi 3:2
No one can live through that time; no one can survive when he comes. He will be like a purifying fire and like laundry soap.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

I'm Doom.

The literal translations of "Satan" mean "opposition" or "adversary". By this definition, any and all "God(s)" are essentially a Satan to the will of nature and the universe as we know it, based in entropy and self preservation.

I don't follow. How are gods in opposition to 'the will of nature' or 'the universe as we know it' ?

Are you talking about their continued existence despite entropy? That's a bit of a stretch, if so.

And so, I conjure that not only is every God Satan, but Satan is the universe itself, as conflict is inherit in the ways of all the cosmos. It is the trial of existence, this is Satan. So in essence we live in Satan's kingdom, a realm of opposition.

How do you rationalize away things like society or just simple cooperation? How about more 'natural' versions like herds and colonies or symbiosis? Or even deeper, something like quantum entanglement? I'm not saying this universe isn't flooded with conflict, it certainly is. But that isn't all there is.

I'm not worried about the Bible.

What do you think?

I think you are getting overly attached to a single usage of a single word and building a worldview on what appears to be a house of cards.

If you set yourself up as the adversary you will become one in short order.

Milton Platt

Does man invent? Or does he discover what already is? It's important to distinguish the difference.

It is generally easy to tell the difference, there is empirical evidence that can be tested and is falsifiable for the things that exist. On the other hand, there is no such evidence for such a being as Satan. Theologians have had some 2,000 years to demonstrate his existence, and failed to date.
As to inventions versus discoveries, inventions are things men designed from natural things and processes, and there is a record of such events. Discoveries are things we learn about how the natural world works.
If you are going to characterize Satan as the entire universe, then I would suggest we already have a name for that.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
In what regard is Satan a man made invention? Or is it perhaps instead an observation?

From the evidence we have, we have no logical warrant to infer that the existence of Satan is more plausible than the existence of Mickey Mouse.

Ciao

- viole

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
My biblical understanding is that Satan is a fallen angel.
Some of the characteristics of Satan "and his fallen angels" is very real in living people...

Donald Trump is surely of of those people.

Jumi

What a rude answer / query / statement!
I could say the same about village elders inventing some gods to get things going. It's probably a popular view with antitheists though who consider Abrahamic mainline the story of god.