• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who wants some fake meat

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have gradually been altering my diet to fewer and more wholesome (read natural) ingredients and really made a big leap in that direction last year. I was eating too much convenience food. A condition exacerbated by the pandemic. Now I spend more for higher quality food. I love turnips and carrots. So versatile and tasty.
The problem with many convenience foods is that they are rather high in two ingredients we already get more than enough of, fats and sodium.

And I might have to figure out how to cook turnips. Though my uber picky housemate may make that difficult. We are at different ends of the taste spectrum sometimes. Last night I had t make her Rice a Roni while I made myself some straight wild rice. Just a bit of salt added. The taste is more subtle but much better and so much healthier.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I haven't tried any of the more recent offerings, but I have tried vegan soy burgers. They really don't taste like meat to me at all, but I enjoyed them.

My local safe now carries "impossible burger". I believe it is a brand name. I have not tried it from them. Just the one burger king experience.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I love good food. I don't even consider fast food to be food, so anything fake is not even on my radar. If it's not real, I don't want it.
I don't mind being a vegetarian if it comes to that. There are loads of amazing things to eat in the plant world. I don't even like meat that much so becoming a vegetarian wouldn't be a huge sacrifice, but fake meat, no way.
This video from dr. Berg explains it better than I could

There's a lot of peddling for this kind of "food" going on and I'm sure there are a lot of companies looking at the amount of money they'll be able to make from the Frankenstein trends. I believe there are better ways to save the environment and respect animals while eating sustainably.
What's your take on this?
I agree with you on this. I am happy to eat vegetarian food (we eat a vegetarian evening meals a couple of times per week, typically) but I would never contemplate eating fake meat. Indian and mediterranean cuisine offer brilliant ways to make a tasty and satisfying vegetarian meal - and even cauliflower cheese can be really nice with a decent glass or two of Loire white. Why mess about with fakes?

I suppose I might feel differently if I were compelled to eat vegetarian 100% of the time. But I have no intention of doing that.

Reactions: Vee

exchemist

Veteran Member
The problem with many convenience foods is that they are rather high in two ingredients we already get more than enough of, fats and sodium.

And I might have to figure out how to cook turnips. Though my uber picky housemate may make that difficult. We are at different ends of the taste spectrum sometimes. Last night I had t make her Rice a Roni while I made myself some straight wild rice. Just a bit of salt added. The taste is more subtle but much better and so much healthier.
Bashed neeps are good - but they do make you fart. The best dish I know involving turnips is navarin d'agneau, which I make quite often, but that is, ahem, not veggie....

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Did he actually say that? I could stand only so much of his rather blatant ignorance.

And from what I have heard the MSG hype may have been mainly hype. In fact I will trust the Mayo Clinic over anecdotes any day:

How does your body react to MSG?.

Its just a salt, reasonably healthy but like any salt, too much is not good. Its natural in some foods.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Did he actually say that? I could stand only so much of his rather blatant ignorance.

And from what I have heard the MSG hype may have been mainly hype. In fact I will trust the Mayo Clinic over anecdotes any day:

How does your body react to MSG?.
He did say those things in the video. I assume that he is relying on his title to push anything he says through to those that already want to hear his message and will do so without question.

I don't eat much of it, but I too base my decisions on verifiable information from reliable authorities.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

I eat turnips both raw and cooked. You can add them to other dishes or eat them alone as a side. Foods that you can enjoy raw might be the first and best convenience food. I will eat them like apples, but as a more savory alternative with a little salt sometimes.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I eat turnips both raw and cooked. You can add them to other dishes or eat them alone as a side. Foods that you can enjoy raw might be the first and best convenience food. I will eat them like apples, but as a more savory alternative with a little salt sometimes.

I like to mash them with potatoes, say half and half, lovely with Sunday dinner

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
My local safe now carries "impossible burger". I believe it is a brand name. I have not tried it from them. Just the one burger king experience.
I suppose I will eventually try it just to see what it is like.

Everything that we eat has come to us through some process. Whether it is natural or manmade. Just because it is manmade is not reason enough for me to consider it wrong or unhealthy. Lots of natural things will cause digestion issues as @exchemist points out about turnips. I got the impression from "Dr." Berg that his experience with the fake chicken wings would have been different if no one had told him what they were.

I favor a balanced diet with less human processing, but not one without meat. Perhaps just a little more vegetable protein sources. But those too can be a gas.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I like to mash them with potatoes, say half and half, lovely with Sunday dinner
I have eaten them that way. I think it is delicious. I have not tried it, but a friend of mine would sometimes mash a carrot or two in with potatoes to serve to her family. She said they love it and it adds a little color to the potatoes.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Bashed neeps are good - but they do make you fart. The best dish I know involving turnips is navarin d'agneau, which I make quite often, but that is, ahem, not veggie....
Vegetarian schmegetarian. Who told you that I didn't eat meat?:D

Unfortunately this would be a double run in with the housemate. I know enough French to spot a lamb when I see one. Now I love lamb. The housemate, not so much.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I suppose I will eventually try it just to see what it is like.

Everything that we eat has come to us through some process. Whether it is natural or manmade. Just because it is manmade is not reason enough for me to consider it wrong or unhealthy. Lots of natural things will cause digestion issues as @exchemist points out about turnips. I got the impression from "Dr." Berg that his experience with the fake chicken wings would have been different if no one had told him what they were.

I favor a balanced diet with less human processing, but not one without meat. Perhaps just a little more vegetable protein sources. But those too can be a gas.
Just think of it as "dinner music":rolleyes:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Its just a salt, reasonably healthy but like any salt, too much is not good. Its natural in some foods.
Yes, there are many natural sources of it. In the U.S. at least there was a huge hysteria about it. You will still see Chinese restaurants with "No MSG" signs on them and printed on their menu. And though MSG is a salt it can lower one's sodium intake because one can get by with less table salt if one uses a little MSG. It is the total amount of sodium that matters, not the source.

Study finds glutamates such as MSG can help reduce Americans' sodium intake