• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who wants some fake meat

Vee

Premium Member
I love good food. I don't even consider fast food to be food, so anything fake is not even on my radar. If it's not real, I don't want it.
I don't mind being a vegetarian if it comes to that. There are loads of amazing things to eat in the plant world. I don't even like meat that much so becoming a vegetarian wouldn't be a huge sacrifice, but fake meat, no way.
This video from dr. Berg explains it better than I could

There's a lot of peddling for this kind of "food" going on and I'm sure there are a lot of companies looking at the amount of money they'll be able to make from the Frankenstein trends. I believe there are better ways to save the environment and respect animals while eating sustainably.
What's your take on this?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I love good food. I don't even consider fast food to be food, so anything fake is not even on my radar. If it's not real, I don't want it.
I don't mind being a vegetarian if it comes to that. There are loads of amazing things to eat in the plant world. I don't even like meat that much so becoming a vegetarian wouldn't be a huge sacrifice, but fake meat, no way.

There's a lot of peddling for this kind of "food" going on and I'm sure there are a lot of companies looking at the amount of money they'll be able to make from the Frankenstein trends. I believe there are better ways to save the environment and respect animals while eating sustainably.
I might try it. I haven't watched the video, yet. Maybe watching it is not a good idea? I eat hot dogs, sometimes. Is that better or worse? I tasted rabbit once and didn't like it. I also didn't like blue crab. I refused to try frog legs. I don't like liver, and I question eating anything which isn't a large muscle, but I occasionally eat hot dogs.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Ew. That list of ingredients does not sound like synthetic meat.

A reformulation might be Ok with me. I have no problem with fungi proteins or yeast products, but some of the oils, preservatives and colors don't sound healthy. They sound like the product is being rushed to market before it is ready.

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
I might try it. I haven't watched the video, yet. Maybe watching it is not a good idea? I eat hot dogs, sometimes. Is that better or worse? I tasted rabbit once and didn't like it. I also didn't like blue crab. I refused to try frog legs. I don't like liver, and I question eating anything which isn't a large muscle, but I occasionally eat hot dogs.

Let's say hot dogs are more natural. Crab, frog and rabbits are real meat. You might not like it but that's just about taste. Fake meat is a weird concoction.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Whole food plant based eating is preferable, IMHO. Fake meat is mostly a way of marketing veganism to meat-eaters as a transition.

But also, FWIW, a ton of stuff in Western diets is like this - processed and full of fake, artifical crap.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Let's say hot dogs are more natural. Crab, frog and rabbits are real meat. You might not like it but that's just about taste. Fake meat is a weird concoction.
I understand what you mean. I do. I eat mushrooms, however. They are a mysterious fungus which is of questionable nutritional value but which absorbs flavors well. Yeast is also safe and healthy and is the major component of Vegemite.

Reactions: Vee

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've eaten those products and they taste OK to me.

They're no worse than any other processed food that is available when it comes to how they're made and what goes into them. What goes into them is better than hot dogs and other manufactured products.

I prefer less processed food.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm not sure, although I've heard of cultured meat which is grown from animal cells (Cultured meat - Wikipedia). That may be the wave of the future, so that the public's craving for meat can still be sustained without having to slaughter animals - or at least not as much. It still has a ways to go, though, as the process is long and expensive. But it shows promise.

amorphous_constellation

I'd eat it once out of curiosity, but will never favour ultraprocessed food to good, healthy meat.

and by that do you mean for example , grass fed beef? Aren't most animals these days pumped up with corn and anti-biotics .. I assume because we have run out of room to pasture animals..

Wandering Monk

Whole food plant based eating is preferable, IMHO. Fake meat is mostly a way of marketing veganism to meat-eaters as a transition.

But also, FWIW, a ton of stuff in Western diets is like this - processed and full of fake, artifical crap.

And yet, life expectancy continues to rise over the last two centuries.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
First I'm unclear. There are the plant-based meat substitutes like the Impossible Burger and the Beyond Burger. Then there is meat grown in a vat which is what I think is being called Synthetic Meat.

I love the Impossible Whopper at Burger King but I don't think that is what the thread is talking about.

Synthetic meat as I understand it is not readily available at this time. If it tests to be a healthy alternative I would be all for it. The big reason is for the environment (methane production for one thing) and the eating of meat that that has never been connected to a consciousness that can experience fear and pain.

Bill Gates says we should switch to 100% synthetic meat.

So, to the OP question: Who wants some fake meat

I'll answer Bill Gates and George-ananda

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I don't eat fake or processed anything unless there is no option, so chances are high that I won't be enjoying fake meat no matter how delectable it sounds :eek:

Reactions: Vee

Vee

Premium Member
I don't eat fake or processed anything unless there is no option, so chances are high that I won't be enjoying fake meat no matter how delectable it sounds :eek:

I think you and I are very lucky to be able to enjoy the markets, with the fresh veggies and cheese, bread... and wine, of course, the wine is very important :)