• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who wants a lightsaber?

FranklinMichaelV.3

Real Lightsaber: Science Has Made Star Wars Reality | WebProNews

Thanks to scientific advancements, humans on a planet in a galaxy not so far away have developed a device that bears a striking resemblance to the famous lightsaber that everyone knows from the Star Wars film franchise. What used to be science fiction is now starting to become a reality, due to the hard work being done by professors at MIT and Harvard. The technology is still being developed, making it hard to tell exactly what these tools will be able to do, but they are sure to be very cool and will definitely excite all of the Star Wars fans out there.

The new development was done by a scientist at MIT, helping to develop real life lightsaber molecules. He says the discovery could lead to amazing scientific advancements. The words scientist and lightsaber being used in the same sentence will certainly intrigue anyone who is a fan of the popular film franchise and we will all stay tuned to find out more. Vladan Vuleti, a physics professor at MIT said “We use laser beams and shine them in from 6 sides and these laser beams actually cool the atoms.” He has been able to bind together those light particles, or photons into a single molecule, according to CBS Boston.

ScottySatan

When I clip myself twirling around nunchucks, I get a bruise. When I do it with a lightsaber, I decapitate myself.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Only if they are gorgeous and intelligent... none of that mindless drone like mask covered nonsense.

As for the death star - we already have one (dont let its appearance fool you - the moon is watching)

Parsimony

Likening this phenomenon to the blade of a lightsaber is pretty sketchy. It's not truly "solid" light (if such a thing can exist). These molecule-like photon pairs can only maintain their status in a specially-prepared medium (they change back into normal light when they leave it). You wouldn't be able to cut through matter nilly-willy with them either (the temperatures required to create them are cryogenic, which would be at odds with the high energy density required for slicing and dicing through metal).