• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who should I tell people to vote for?

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Missouri Elections, Missouri Candidates and Politics

Well I've found a list of candidates for my state... and they all suck, even the Green Party Candidate.

For senate, first we have Carnahan, who voted in favor of the Iraq War (and is still in favor of strengthening our military). She's also apparently very pro-Israel. On the bright side, her financial policy is somewhat pro-education, and pro-clean energy.
Issues | Robin Carnahan for Senate

Then we have Francis Vangeli, who is apparently strongly against healthcare reform and business regulation, from the little I've read about him. His website isn't exactly issue-oriented, so I have yet to find anything positive about him.
http://francisvangeli.com/

The Green candidate is Midge Potts. She was everything I ever wanted until I found out that she unashamedly supports the FairTax (you may have to do some more digging to find this, I tried searching for a bit but can't find the page again).
Midge Potts for US SENATE in Missouri 2010

Oh, and there's ten republican candidates, but I'm not considering anyone with the moral/intellectual blindness to run as a republican. And don't even get me started on the Constitution Party, which apparently is running as many candidates as the democratic party. Oh, and there's a solitary libertarian candidate. Not considering capitalist lunatics either.

For Representative, there are no Green candidates and only one democrat, Candice Britton. While he claims that we need to support those in need, he is against Obama's healthcare reform and wants to abolish medicaid. He also seems rather anti-immigrant, specifically calling for the national guard to defend the border if necessary, and wanting to abolish amnesty.
Candice Britton Policies

Who do I tell people to vote for? None of the candidates for senate are acceptable, and there's only one non-far-right-extremist candidate for representative, but I can't imagine telling people to vote for that blue dog monstrosity.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
As a liberal-minded person, I think you shouldn't be telling people who to vote for. You should, instead, be showing them, saying, "This is who I am voting for, and these are my very good reasons." People can make up their own minds. ;)

PS: "It is logical and of common sense that logic and common sense always trump reality, because reality is subjective."

Oh my god, someone actually said that? Out loud? ...nevermind.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Tell them to vote a straight Libertarian ticket. I guarantee that their choices will never embarrass them in office.
If one isn't running, then write my name in.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Tell them to vote a straight Libertarian ticket. I guarantee that their choices will never embarrass them in office.
If one isn't running, then write my name in.
They won't be ABLE to embarass themselves or us in office, unfortunately.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
PS: "It is logical and of common sense that logic and common sense always trump reality, because reality is subjective."

Oh my god, someone actually said that? Out loud? ...nevermind.

All of the quotes in my signature are directly from me. Most are thoughts not expressed verbally, although that has more to do with a lack of them bring brought up than anything else.

It's a... something (not satire, different word) about how reality tends to conveniently format to one's personal beliefs, that is, people's brains screen out things that don't agree with their mindset, so each person's "reality" tends to be different. In other words, if all people collectively share the same illusion, it may as well be real. That's why Yahweh (the one the Christians call "God") still has power - because people believe he does. And that's why I fight the Cult of Yahweh instead of just accepting that some people are morons.

EDIT: In case you're wondering, the second quote is about the differing types of freedom and how they contradict eachother. For example, political freedom is often used to violate personal freedom, as in the case of people voting against gay rights. Personal freedom can be use to violate the personal freedom of others if abused. Economic freedom can threaten personal freedom, in that the actions of big business can harm the economic abilities of others, and it can also harm political freedom, due to bribery and lobbying and such.

And the last one is a joke I make whenever people bring my soul into something. It's based on the common perception that politicians are soulless monsters.

Last edited:
As a liberal-minded person, I think you shouldn't be telling people who to vote for. You should, instead, be showing them, saying, "This is who I am voting for, and these are my very good reasons."

This. Argue your case, but then urge them to look into the facts for themselves and make their own choice. They may not vote for who you want in the end, but at least their decision was an informed one.

EDIT...I'm only just now realizing that I'm commenting on a 2 year old thread, but I think my statement holds true anyway. D'oh!

Last edited: