• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who should decide what medical procedures and examinations you need to undergo?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Who should decide what medical procedures and examinations you need to undergo? How should these decisions be made and by who? Should these medical decisions be made by you and your doctor based on your medical requirements? Or should they be made by the government based on political calculations?

Planned Parenthood To Defy 'Inappropriate' Missouri Abortion Rule | HuffPost

A new state requirement of two pelvic exams before an abortion is "medically unnecessary" and "invasive," doctors say.

“Today I was forced by the state of Missouri to perform an unnecessary pelvic exam on a patient terminating her pregnancy for a fetal anomaly. She is heartbroken over her situation and I was forced to do an invasive, uncomfortable exam. It broke me as a physician to do this to her”

Planned Parenthood of St. Louis, the last remaining abortion provider in Missouri, told CBS News on Wednesday that it’s going to stop complying with a state regulation requiring doctors to perform two pelvic exams on women seeking abortions.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Who should decide what medical procedures and examinations you need to undergo? How should these decisions be made and by who? Should these medical decisions be made by you and your doctor based on your medical requirements? Or should they be made by the government based on political calculations?

A new state requirement of two pelvic exams before an abortion is "medically unnecessary" and "invasive," doctors say.

“Today I was forced by the state of Missouri to perform an unnecessary pelvic exam on a patient terminating her pregnancy for a fetal anomaly. She is heartbroken over her situation and I was forced to do an invasive, uncomfortable exam. It broke me as a physician to do this to her”

Planned Parenthood of St. Louis, the last remaining abortion provider in Missouri, told CBS News on Wednesday that it’s going to stop complying with a state regulation requiring doctors to perform two pelvic exams on women seeking abortions.
It seems to me, as a Brit, that legislation should never stipulate the detail of medical procedures, That must, surely, be left to what we call over here "clinical judgement".

Laws can obviously be passed concerning abortion, contraception, euthanasia etc., as matters of public ethics and social policy, but that should not require specifying medical procedures.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It should be between patient and doctor. In this case, insurance and governments need to be run entirely and completely out of the equation, violently so if necessary.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Libertarians at least should be against this kind of invasive law designed to make women suffer physically and emotionally for exercising their rights.
And yet the side with and vote for freedom hating and killing Republicans anyways.

Daemon Sophic

More power (and funding) to the good and caring people at Planned Parenthood.

I spoke of this in another thread. Libertarians should vote against Republicans, every time. Only the Republicans want to control your religion; control over your body; dictate sexuality; take authority to go to war from the people and give it to the POTUS; demand that we not upgrade to modern jobs and away from dependence upon oil-producing nations; etc....etc....
All hail the chief, and his party’s wisdom!
giphy.gif

[/pitiless, condescending, and loathing sarcasm]

sooda

Veteran Member

That is REALLY stupid.

dianaiad

It should be between patient and doctor. In this case, insurance and governments need to be run entirely and completely out of the equation, violently so if necessary.

Unless we are talking about 'universal health care.' Then, of course, the decision regarding what health care is available is completely up to, er....the government.

Just ask anybody who needs treatment for an 'orphan disease' in the UK or Canada or Australia or pretty much anywhere else that has it.

...and no, I don't support the 'two pelvic exams before an abortion' law. That, too, should be between the doctor and the patient. Period.

......................and remember; I am very 'pro-life.' That's a stupid law.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Unless we are talking about 'universal health care.' Then, of course, the decision regarding what health care is available is completely up to, er....the government.
There is nothing inherent about universal care where the state has to be in the middle. And if they are, health care providers will presumably carry on committing fraud so patients can get needed care.

dianaiad

There is nothing inherent about universal care where the state has to be in the middle. And if they are, health care providers will presumably carry on committing fraud so patients can get needed care.

So...a system where fraud is required in order to get care is a good thing, in your view?

The problem is, I personally know people who have died waiting for their government to OK medical treatments that I receive because my doctor said I needed it. Period.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Libertarians at least should be against this kind of invasive law.....
No one would be more opposed to government micro-management
of one's health care, especially when the law stems from religious
authoritarianism, & is designed to punish one exercising one's rights.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So...a system where fraud is required in order to get care is a good thing, in your view?
Its not. But its not unusual for American healthcare providors to do it because insurance will say no. I've done it, and others have done it for me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No one would be more opposed to government micro-management
of one's health care, especially when the law stems from religious
authoritarianism, & is designed to punish one exercising one's rights.
I would hope health care providors would stand united as a collective and relentless force against such things. Libertarians have their philosophies, health care providors have thier job and livlihood.

Skwim

Veteran Member

How should these decisions be made and by who? Should these medical decisions be made by you and your doctor based on your medical requirements? Or should they be made by the government based on political calculations?

While I'm in complete agreement with Planned Parenthood here, just what is it about a second pelvic exam that's so bad? It's as if the procedure is really traumatizing.

Shad

Veteran Member

Me or my guardian if unable. Obviously medical advisors are consulted

How should these decisions be made and by who? Should these medical decisions be made by you and your doctor based on your medical requirements? Or should they be made by the government based on political calculations?

The former in most cases. The latter happens when government decides what to cover (fund), accredit (certify) or in the case of negligence by parents. I am fine with this balance.

Blocked by my security. Can you summarize a bit more?

Is this one of those "shame" laws? What is the rationale for the exams?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
While I'm in complete agreement with Planned Parenthood here, just what is it about a second pelvic exam that's so bad? It's as if the procedure is really traumatizing.

Its completely and entirely baseless and needless. A total waist of time, money, and violation of patient privacy

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes. I'm well aware of that.

Thats basically "'nuff said" as it ot only wastes time and resources, it also needlessly exposes patients to the possible sideffects, needlessly. There is no justification for it when weighing benefit vs risk.