1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who should decide what medical procedures and examinations you need to undergo?

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by fantome profane, Jun 20, 2019.

1. fantome profane

fantome profane Have you read the Whistleblower complaint?
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,047
    Who should decide what medical procedures and examinations you need to undergo? How should these decisions be made and by who? Should these medical decisions be made by you and your doctor based on your medical requirements? Or should they be made by the government based on political calculations?

Planned Parenthood To Defy 'Inappropriate' Missouri Abortion Rule | HuffPost

A new state requirement of two pelvic exams before an abortion is "medically unnecessary" and "invasive," doctors say.

“Today I was forced by the state of Missouri to perform an unnecessary pelvic exam on a patient terminating her pregnancy for a fetal anomaly. She is heartbroken over her situation and I was forced to do an invasive, uncomfortable exam. It broke me as a physician to do this to her”

Planned Parenthood of St. Louis, the last remaining abortion provider in Missouri, told CBS News on Wednesday that it’s going to stop complying with a state regulation requiring doctors to perform two pelvic exams on women seeking abortions.

• Like Like x 3
  2. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,613
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    It seems to me, as a Brit, that legislation should never stipulate the detail of medical procedures, That must, surely, be left to what we call over here "clinical judgement".

Laws can obviously be passed concerning abortion, contraception, euthanasia etc., as matters of public ethics and social policy, but that should not require specifying medical procedures.

• Like Like x 4
  3. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,031
    Religion:
    Love
    Libertarians at least should be against this kind of invasive law designed to make women suffer physically and emotionally for exercising their rights.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +19,285
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    It should be between patient and doctor. In this case, insurance and governments need to be run entirely and completely out of the equation, violently so if necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +19,285
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    And yet the side with and vote for freedom hating and killing Republicans anyways.

6. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +1,563
    More power (and funding) to the good and caring people at Planned Parenthood.

I spoke of this in another thread. Libertarians should vote against Republicans, every time. Only the Republicans want to control your religion; control over your body; dictate sexuality; take authority to go to war from the people and give it to the POTUS; demand that we not upgrade to modern jobs and away from dependence upon oil-producing nations; etc....etc....
    All hail the chief, and his party’s wisdom!
    [​IMG]
    [/pitiless, condescending, and loathing sarcasm]

7. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,586
    Religion:
    Catholic
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sooda

sooda Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,454
    Religion:
    Christian
    That is REALLY stupid.

9. dianaiad

dianaiad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,096
    Religion:
    LDS (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints)
    Unless we are talking about 'universal health care.' Then, of course, the decision regarding what health care is available is completely up to, er....the government.

Just ask anybody who needs treatment for an 'orphan disease' in the UK or Canada or Australia or pretty much anywhere else that has it.

...and no, I don't support the 'two pelvic exams before an abortion' law. That, too, should be between the doctor and the patient. Period.

......................and remember; I am very 'pro-life.' That's a stupid law.

10. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +19,285
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    There is nothing inherent about universal care where the state has to be in the middle. And if they are, health care providers will presumably carry on committing fraud so patients can get needed care.

11. dianaiad

dianaiad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,096
    Religion:
    LDS (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints)
    So...a system where fraud is required in order to get care is a good thing, in your view?

The problem is, I personally know people who have died waiting for their government to OK medical treatments that I receive because my doctor said I needed it. Period.

12. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Greased up & ready for action!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +44,010
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    No one would be more opposed to government micro-management
    of one's health care, especially when the law stems from religious
    authoritarianism, & is designed to punish one exercising one's rights.

13. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +19,285
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Its not. But its not unusual for American healthcare providors to do it because insurance will say no. I've done it, and others have done it for me.

14. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +19,285
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    I would hope health care providors would stand united as a collective and relentless force against such things. Libertarians have their philosophies, health care providors have thier job and livlihood.

15. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,897
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    While I'm in complete agreement with Planned Parenthood here, just what is it about a second pelvic exam that's so bad? It's as if the procedure is really traumatizing.

16. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,449
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    Me or my guardian if unable. Obviously medical advisors are consulted

The former in most cases. The latter happens when government decides what to cover (fund), accredit (certify) or in the case of negligence by parents. I am fine with this balance.

Blocked by my security. Can you summarize a bit more?

Is this one of those "shame" laws? What is the rationale for the exams?

17. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +19,285
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Its completely and entirely baseless and needless. A total waist of time, money, and violation of patient privacy

18. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +19,285
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    And its a random ******* who isnt the patients docot deciding what the patient needs.

19. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,897
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Yes. I'm well aware of that.

20. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +19,285
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Thats basically "'nuff said" as it ot only wastes time and resources, it also needlessly exposes patients to the possible sideffects, needlessly. There is no justification for it when weighing benefit vs risk.