• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who sets the standards for what is "normal" or "abnormal"?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
In a recent thread written by someone that I respect very much and in not wishing to disrupt his thread I wanted to start this one.

In the thread a "Christian" referred to homosexuals and used very distastefully the description maggots as an example....Apples would have been a good choice since apparently one bad apple spoils the whole basket...:D Just joking here folks.

My question is what makes something normal or abnormal in any relationship? My fellow Christian wrote "I find "the act. One act unappealing. Specifically the sex part of homosexuality."

My question is if a Christian couple choses to have different sexual acts that may be considered out of the "norm" does that make them undesirable and would they not be considered as "good" Christian people? If a congregation in a church found out that their pastor liked his wife to play dress up in a French Maid outfit does that mean that he is not a man of God? Is that normal for a Man of God to still have sexual desires or would he be better off to go visit a prostitute and keep his desires hidden? Either way seems like there would be someone in the Church just waiting to start a stoning. Would certain acts between 2 consenting adults make them maggots? How does one separate what is normal or adnormal for any individual? And who is the judge?

Awoon

Humans are sexual beings.

If one is a stagnant (sex only with opposite sex) heterosexual, then self gradification is a no no.

I've never heard any Christian explain that.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
In a recent thread written by someone that I respect very much and in not wishing to disrupt his thread I wanted to start this one.

In the thread a "Christian" referred to homosexuals and used very distastefully the description maggots as an example....Apples would have been a good choice since apparently one bad apple spoils the whole basket...:D Just joking here folks.

My question is what makes something normal or abnormal in any relationship? My fellow Christian wrote "I find "the act. One act unappealing. Specifically the sex part of homosexuality."

My question is if a Christian couple choses to have different sexual acts that may be considered out of the "norm" does that make them undesirable and would they not be considered as "good" Christian people? If a congregation in a church found out that their pastor liked his wife to play dress up in a French Maid outfit does that mean that he is not a man of God? Is that normal for a Man of God to still have sexual desires or would he be better off to go visit a prostitute and keep his desires hidden? Either way seems like there would be someone in the Church just waiting to start a stoning. Would certain acts between 2 consenting adults make them maggots? How does one separate what is normal or adnormal for any individual? And who is the judge?
I'd say the majority defines normal when it comes to behavioral choice.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I suspect the typical conservative view of what's "normal," is pretty abnormal. I also think that if most people think something sexual is wrong because they think it's gross, they should probably look at themselves in the mirror while having sex.

Perhaps nomal is within 68% of the bell curve, but then that may depend upon the population represented by said curve.

I suspect that we each determine internally that, that is normal or abnormal, and that comes from one's perspective rather than objective sources.

more rambles from the brambles,
best,
swampy

no-body

People want a rigid black and white structure because grays are unsure and messy, like real life. It all depends on the situation and the individual. The truth is there is no such thing as "normal" when people hear this it's like when they hear "there is no such thing as good and evil" they think it means it is a slippery slope where we throw away all rules and logic, allowing things like raping children and animals.

Fact is two or more consenting adults should be allowed to do whatever they want if they are not hurting each other and even the hurt part is flexible if there is consent.

This logic is countered by homophobes by going full retard i.e. their children are being lured into accepting an evil lifestyle and the homosexual agenda b.s. etc.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I really don't know who sets the "norms". I always supposed that it was the majority that did (What most people do is "normal" and what few people is "abnormal"), but I sense is a lot more complicated than that. I just think before we judge others, we really ought to take a good, long look at ourselves first- because, chances are, that we are not so "normal" either. We ALL do things that would be outside the norm and usually on a daily basis. Doesn't mean that it is wrong.

Last edited:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I guess my question on this whole matter is, for instance. If 90 couples out of 100 used the say "missionary position" for sex does this make the 10 couples who prefer to use another position make it "abnormal" to others.???
My point is why should anyone judge or be concerned about someone else's sexual prefererence? I may not agree with their preference but I am going to mind my own business....And as far as sex, just give me my chocolate and I'll remain a happy camper....as long as there is chocolate I don't care what the rest of the world does. ;):candy3::candy3::candy3::cupcake::cupcake:

when exactly did "normal" become a synonym for "good" and "abnormal" for "evil"? if, indeed, what the minority prefers sexually could be considered "abnormal", what then makes such a practice "wrong"?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Normal is an arbitrary statistical point. >x=normal.

Now if you designate 20% as x, then you could probably say homosexuality was abnormal. Of course you'd have to include red hair and left handedness, as well.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
People should tend to their own business and quit judging the sexuality of others.