• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Satan Really Is

smidjit

First of all, what do you mean by a "restricted free will?" Second, God is omnipotent. If Satan decided to become God's adversary, then God can just will him out of existence; it doesn't take God any effort. I don't know where you're getting your point of view from, but what I presented was Judaism's tradition as to the essence of Satan: that he is an angel of God with a specific God-given mission: to test human beings with certain challenges so that with their free will, they can choose between good and evil and either accumulate merits for themselves to be "cashed in" (so to speak) for the eternal reward God has in store for them, or to be punished for involving themselves in that which God has forbade. And my question was rhetorical.
Laws restrict free moral agency. That is why people resist being forced to do things. When God established laws he interfered with that freedom. Satan is nothing more than the model to resist any forced rules and to live as one so chooses. In a sense to become ones own God, which Isaiah said satan attempted to do. Isaiah Chap 14: vs 12 to 14.

Satan's rebellion stemmed from his abhorrence to worship an extension of God, which satan is also, as well as you and I. That being the son of God. God doesn't command honor unto himself, he commands it unto an extension of himself. Satan sees that as a double standard. Psalms 45:7 Jesus said, whoever does not honor the son, does not honor the father.

John 5: 21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Those two things brought about the inevitability of satan.

Yanni

Laws restrict free moral agency. That is why people resist being forced to do things. When God established laws he interfered with that freedom. Satan is nothing more than the model to resist any forced rules and to live as one so chooses. In a sense to become ones own God, which Isaiah said satan attempted to do. Isaiah Chap 14: vs 12 to 14.

Satan's rebellion stemmed from his abhorrence to worship an extension of God, which satan is also, as well as you and I. That being the son of God. God doesn't command honor unto himself, he commands it unto an extension of himself. Satan sees that as a double standard. Psalms 45:7 Jesus said, whoever does not honor the son, does not honor the father.

John 5: 21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Those two things brought about the inevitability of satan.
Smidjit, do yourself a favor. Don't try to impress Christian doctrine on an Orthodox Jew who clearly does not recognize Jesus as a prophet or a "son of God." Jewish doctrine teaches (as part of the 13 Principles of Faith) that God will never exchange His Torah for another one (hence, the "New Testament," and there will never be another Torah (i.e. testament), and God Himself, in our Torah, warned the Jews of someone like Jesus, not to heed to his voice, EVEN if he performs miracles and wonders. For various reasons, Judaism considers Jesus to have been a false prophet. Christian doctrine about the essence of Satan is drastically different from traditional Judaism that dates back more than 3,000 years to the Giving of the Torah on Mount Sinai.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Well, assuming he doesn't take pleasure in his job...

One could hardly be a competent tester if he did not take pleasure in His "job", after all, that which pleases one ultimately results in that person gaining upper hand experience in the said areas of topic.

If he truly was a "tester", then the obvious test would be to overcome the Opposition, which Satan literally symbolizes.

Live with no regrets, the Devil's Path is simply a path in which One realizes and accepts who and what they are, with or without retrospective creation.