• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who rules the world?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: Who do you think rules the world? And why do you think that?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
For me:

I think the question can be effectively answered by looking at whose sectional interest things work out for

I would say that it is not a person who rules the world, rather a system

Basically, I think Capitalism rules the world

But if I had to point a finger at a certain group of humans I would say "The Capitalists"

But I don't think they are personally in control

I would however say that they have a massive and overwhelming influence

And that they use this influence to further their own interests

Which involves preserving the favourable status quo - at the expense of everyone else!

Alienistic

Anti-conformity
Which involves preserving the favourable status quo - at the expense of everyone else!

Media indoctrination/brainwashing all owned by the same status quo and divide and conquer. Creating hate and fathom enemies.

Many forms of religious indoctrination.

Rather easy though, since human nature generally feeds off all of this anyhow.

PureX

Veteran Member
Now that money essentially represents all value, it controls humanity, and humanity controls the world to the extent that anyone does. We and the world have become victims of our own clever invention. Even the rich are enslaved by it. Maybe more so.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Money rules the world.
Money is just paper, metal and clicks on the computer.
It is the instrument by which certain subjects rule the world.
With that instrument, they have the power to bribe politicians, bankers, financial markets, landowners.

Men seek power and want power. And to obtain it, they are disposed to do anything. Literally anything.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Who rules? Humans very much at the moment - of various inclinations - but unlikely to do so for long if we can't become a species less at war with ourselves, and with all other life.

RestlessSoul

This is Caesar's world. He and the devil are continually trying to cheat each other out of it. But the things they control are the things of no enduring value. All that can be held in the hand, is subject to decay. All that is of real value, is that which cannot be grasped at. And it is only by letting go, that we can come into our inheritance.

"In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world."
- John 16:33

Yerda

Veteran Member
The Network of Global Corporate Control

The structure of the control network of transnational corporations affects global market competition and financial stability. So far, only small national samples were studied and there was no appropriate methodology to assess control globally. We present the first investigation of the architecture of the international ownership network, along with the computation of the control held by each global player. We find that transnational corporations form a giant bow-tie structure and that a large portion of control flows to a small tightly-knit core of financial institutions. This core can be seen as an economic "super-entity" that raises new important issues both for researchers and policy makers.

Lain

Those who lust for power and are greedy in a multitude of ways, based on similar reasoning in your second post on looking at who benefits from our world now, and also what St. Theophylact says here, commenting on when the devil offered the Lord all the kingdoms of the world and their glory:

"The devil, therefore, visibly showed Him all the kingdoms, presenting them before His eyes in an image, and said, 'All these things will I give Thee.' In his pride, he considers the world to be his own. Even now the devil makes this offer to the greedy, with the result that those who worship him do possess these things."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, there are some 195 countries in the world, each with some form of government controlled by an elite. It's quite likely that many of these governments are heavily influenced or dominated by larger governments.

Theoretically, every government is controlled by the people, even those which are undemocratic or ruled by a tyrant. At any time, the people can always choose to revolt and/or disobey.

All government power is derived from the masses, so it can be argued that the power to rule rests in one's ability to influence, deceive, intimidate, or manipulate the masses.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The Network of Global Corporate Control

The structure of the control network of transnational corporations affects global market competition and financial stability. So far, only small national samples were studied and there was no appropriate methodology to assess control globally. We present the first investigation of the architecture of the international ownership network, along with the computation of the control held by each global player. We find that transnational corporations form a giant bow-tie structure and that a large portion of control flows to a small tightly-knit core of financial institutions. This core can be seen as an economic "super-entity" that raises new important issues both for researchers and policy makers.
This structure would only affect "market competition and financial stability". Firstly it is far from being the only effect on these two things and secondly these two things are very far indeed from constituting rule over the world.

Yerda

Veteran Member
This structure would only affect "market competition and financial stability". Firstly it is far from being the only effect on these two things and secondly these two things are very far indeed from constituting rule over the world.
That's not what the paper says.