• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHO rules over us now, according to Voltaire ! ?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

upload_2020-9-13_17-14-50.png

Note: Thank you @Erebus + @ChristineM for the correction. Sadly it is the quote of a neo-Nazi, not Voltaire

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Trump criticizes them thr timenand foolishly withdrew support of them, so I don't really get what you're saying.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 42818

Fortunately, we're still allowed to criticize anyone or anything we want, at least for the time being.

Of course, there will always be those who react negatively to criticism, but how far they can actually go in silencing their critics is somewhat limited, although that's dependent upon the system of government and the political culture within a given society.

Tambourine

"Money is always to be found when men are to be sent to the frontiers to be destroyed:
when the object is to preserve them, it is no longer so."

-- Voltaire​

stvdv

Trump criticizes them thr timenand foolishly withdrew support of them, so I don't really get what you're saying.
Trump seems a puppet, who is given Carte Blanche when it comes to lying, criticizing, grabbing women and what not
I created 3 threads with the word Corona in it, having plenty (>50) replies, but the thread was not "Featured"
Once can be coincidental, twice can be coincidental, thrice starts to become a pattern

I know, that Trump is above Rules.
Voltaire was not talking about Presidents, but about "you"

exchemist

Veteran Member

View attachment 42818
Please produce evidence to show we are not allowed to criticise the WHO.

I have read several newspaper article in the last few months analysing its strengths and weaknesses. So far as I am aware, none of the writers has been shot, imprisoned or sacked from their job.

stvdv

Please produce evidence to show we are not allowed to criticise the WHO.

I have read several newspaper article in the last few months analysing its strengths and weaknesses. So far as I am aware, none of the writers has been shot, imprisoned or sacked from their job.
So, you have ruled that one out, why should I produce evidence, I don't want to prove anything to you? I believe you on your word.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I created 3 threads with the word Corona in it, having plenty (>50) replies, but the thread was not "Featured"
Once can be coincidental, twice can be coincidental, thrice starts to become a pattern
Featured threads are determined by an algorithm that picks them based on a formula that has something to do with receiving a certain number of posts within a certain time frame. Its entirely automated and disinterested in topic.

stvdv

Featured threads are determined by an algorithm that picks them based on a formula that has something to do with receiving a certain number of posts within a certain time frame. Its entirely automated and disinterested in topic.
All my posts were featured when Post #20 was posted, except those 3
I don't complain though, because there was a message a month or so ago, that we should be careful with Corona posts

I think they even made a Rule out of it, but I was unable to find that Rule

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

Now regularly attributed to Voltaire, this saying seems to originate with something written in 1993 by Kevin Alfred Strom, an American neo-Nazi Holocaust denier,

Voltaire and the one-liner

stvdv

You wrote the title of the thread, did you not? That title makes a claim. A false one.
Voltaire said "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"

Hence my question in the title became "Who rules over us now?"
I added "according to voltaire" to give away a clue, as Voltaire gave a hint how to get to the answer

So, I did not make any claim. Why should I? I know you always ask for evidence;)
Voltaire also said: “Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too"

I like Voltaire. Great quotes.

Last edited: