• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who, or what, if anything were we before we were born?

David1967

Premium Member
Lot of debate concerning what happens to us after we die, but what about before we are born? I am interested in other religions views on this. Please share.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The response of my path is the same to both: there is no birth and there is no death. There is the Weave which is constantly changing and transforming. It is humans who denote things "starting" and "ending," based on their perceptions and experiences of the Weave.

Before I was "born," my parents had sex. All the stuff that composed "me" came from a human mother and human father. In turn the stuff that composed them came from the land, sea, sky, and stars. While I live, the stuff that composes "me" also comes from the land, sea, sky, and stars - it is always turning over, bits being exchanged with other bits. Some particular water molecule whose oxygen and hydrogen became integrated into my biological structure was once wrested from countless other animals, plants, and landforms - it was probably in you, the reader, at some point. When I "die," all those molecules will scatter to the four corners of the planet, and be "born" back into other things. It all gets "reincarnated" into soil microbes, chloroplasts in grass, the fur of a rabbit, the flagellum of a protist, and so many others. It's all a Weave, a continuity of change and transformation, that circles and circles evermore.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Lot of debate concerning what happens to us after we die, but what about before we are born? I am interested in other religions views on this. Please share.
From translation of Quran :

http://www.quran.com/76/1
76/1
Has there [not] come upon man a period of time when he was not a thing [even] mentioned?

http://www.quran.com/18/51
18:51
I did not make them witness to the creation of the heavens and the earth or to the creation of themselves, and I would not have taken the misguiders as assistants.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I believe we exist on the soul/Causal planes getting ready to inhabit and control a new blank slate body. I believe in reincarnation and that we return to our soul identity between lives.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Well, you see, young men have the tiny but competitive fish-like things called sperm and young women have the patient little egg-like things call eggs (which seems to suggest a severe lack of literary imagination). Usually the tiny but competitive fish-like things called sperm simply go about their business aimlessly and die, but, once in a while, one of them will run headlong into an egg. And then, with a little luck, ...

David1967

Premium Member
Well, you see, young men have the tiny but competitive fish-like things called sperm and young women have the patient little egg-like things call eggs (which seems to suggest a severe lack of literary imagination). Usually the tiny but competitive fish-like things called sperm simply go about their business aimlessly and die, but, once in a while, one of them will run headlong into an egg. And then, with a little luck, ...

Gee thanks Jay! That clears up everything.:p

rusra02

Premium Member
The first human did not exist until he was created. We do not exist until we are conceived.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

So few take this into consideration. There is too much linearity and progression involved.

So much that that the state of affairs prior to one's birth is largely discarded as it compares to the state of affairs after death.

Not much happens save for eruptions of what we call life. I don't precieve any difference overall save for the empty nature of thought and mind.

I think what really happens is actually the ongoing eruption right now.

A bell gets struck.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'm pretty sure I used to be some famous person in the past before I was born into this body. Most people who believe in reincarnation claim to have been one or more famous people in the past, so I'm pretty sure I was too. I'm going to go with Julius Caesar.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I'm pretty sure I used to be some famous person in the past before I was born into this body. Most people who believe in reincarnation claim to have been one or more famous people in the past, so I'm pretty sure I was too. I'm going to go with Julius Caesar.

Wow. If I had to pick somebody I'd go with St. Peter.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hail Caesar!!

"0)

Demonslayer

There is the Weave which is constantly changing and transforming

Like this one?

167913_534278774563_67200166_31425976_2067667_n.jpg