• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who needs Blasphemy laws when you can use Islamophobia?

Notanumber

A Free Man
I don't feel threatened by Muslims and I live in the UK. The two Muslims in my office are great, I know others through work and meetings, I'm not threatened by them.
I feel more threatened by the likes of Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Farage

Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Farage are political. Are your Muslim friends political?

Political Islam is a threat in the UK of that there is no doubt.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Farage are political. Are your Muslim friends political?

Political Islam is a threat in the UK of that there is no doubt.
Political Islam is not a threat; there are a few jihadists that are a threat but so are nutcase left/right wing idiots.
Leaving the EU will lead to immigration of more Muslims (as immigrants will now be African/Asian rather than Polish or Czech) so I expect numbers to rise.
As long as we stop segregated / religious schools integration is easily achievable

Notanumber

A Free Man
Political Islam is not a threat; there are a few jihadists that are a threat but so are nutcase left/right wing idiots.
Leaving the EU will lead to immigration of more Muslims (as immigrants will now be African/Asian rather than Polish or Czech) so I expect numbers to rise.
As long as we stop segregated / religious schools integration is easily achievable

It is Political Islam that wishes to deprive us of our free speech. Once we have lost that we have lost all hope.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Well the definition of "political Islam" that I think is most common is something like: "Any initiative whose goal is to introduce some bit of Sharia into a secular society."

Using that definition (which I think is a common definition), this isn't about terrorists, and I think political Islam, like political Christianity, IS a threat.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Do Muslims really attack you, or is it just an impression the news media want to convey?

We do not know what Muslims really want to attack but we do know what the Islamic ideology wants to attack and near the top of that list is the removal of our right to free speech.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We do not know what Muslims really want to attack but we do know what the Islamic ideology wants to attack and near the top of that list is the removal of our right to free speech.
Muslims are very peaceful here in Michiganistan.
Remember than just as not all Jews are violent, neither are all Muslims.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Muslims are very peaceful here in Michiganistan.
Remember than just as not all Jews are violent, neither are all Muslims.

Be very thankful that you do not live in the UK.

It is not the many that need concern us. If only 0.1 percent have political aims that is more than enough to remove our free speech.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Be very thankful that you do not live in the UK.

It is not the many that need concern us. If only 0.1 percent have political aims that is more than enough to remove our free speech.
Free speech is of course under attack from other groups too.
We've even seen Jews here advocating for restrictions on dissing them.
And liberals....we see what they do at universities.

Notanumber

A Free Man

I am not talking about dissing individuals, I am talking about being able to criticise their ideologies.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Maybe you Americans are not that interested in everyday news from Europe...but...
"Freedom of speech" in Britain is not a given any more....it is more and more reduced.

If we Italians reached that point someday...we would commit a mass suicide...I think...:p

Erebus

No religion should be above criticism and I'm completely against blasphemy laws.

Islamophobia as I understand it goes beyond the dislike of Islam as a religion though. It encompasses the dislike, mistrust or fear of Muslims themselves and we've seen the effects of this in recent years. Religious hate crimes have been on the increase with Muslims apparently making up the largest percentage:

Police have recorded a surge in hate crime directed at people in England and Wales because of their religious beliefs.

It rose by 40%, from 5,949 in 2016-17 to 8,336 in 2017-18, according to the Home Office data.

Most religious hate crime - 52% of all offences - was aimed at Muslims.

Surge in recorded religious hate crime

Furthermore, despite the common argument that Islamophobia is unrelated to race, Sikhs and Hindus have also been targeted by people who mistook them for Muslims. Certain skin tones and accents can make you a target for people who claim that their only problem is with Islam as a religion.

Labelling somebody as Islamophobic shouldn't be used as a means to silence criticism of Islam. I will acknowledge that sometime it is. I'll also acknowledge that it's a controversial term with some people arguing that it shouldn't include negative attitudes against Muslims themselves (that's been argued a couple of times in this thread). However, the belief that the term is simply a means for Muslims to evade criticism of their beliefs is dangerous. It reinforces an attitude that any complaints Muslims might have about their treatment is seen as having an ulterior motive. We're seeing the harm that line of thinking causes in the UK.