• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is your Ia-deva(t)?

Maija

Namashkar Friends,

Here's a fun, sweet thread, I want to get to know more about you guys..

Just curious, five questions:

1) Who is your Ishta-devata? Or the God that you pray most to?

2) What makes this deva most sacred to you?

3) What is your favorite mantra regarding this deva?

4) What is your favorite religious holiday? If none...share a quote or both :)

5) Born or raised Hindu? What inspired you or brought you to the path?

My answers:

1) Krishna is my Godhead, but I revere many others for their admirable traits. Ganesha, for removing obstacles, Hanuman for being the perfect devotee, and Shiva, Sri Krishna considered himself to be a great devotee!
:bow:

2) I was attracted to Krishna's playful nature is stories, the way gopi's flock to Him and devotees fall fully in love with His compassionate and loving personality. He is called All-Attractive for a reason! I've said this before but, I like that others feel the same about their deva as I do about Krishna, it makes me want to learn.

3) My favorite mantra is the mahamantra, I started chanting over a year ago now and there has not been one day that the mantra has not played in my head. Like I radio, I feel like I'm tuning into a higher station, the minute I start chanting I feel tingly, waves of emotion roll over me and I know my rounds are being heard.

It may seem unoriginal, some could be saying go figure! :shrug: But, it makes me smile, you know you are a devotee when you cannot say your Lord's name without a smile making its way onto your lips and your heart melting.

4) I am very excited about Janmashtami, I've not yet had a real opportunity to truly celebrate religious holidays traditionally. I can't wait to move to San Francisco/Berkeley again to be closer to the temples.

My favorite quote, there are many but today:

"Know for certain that whatever is found in this creation arises out of a combination of My material and spiritual energies. I am the origin and dissolution of all. There is nothing beyond Me, Arjuna; everything rests upon Me as pearls strung on a thread."

Chapter 7, verse 6-7

5) I was not born Hindu. I have come from Catholicism then Southern Baptist type Christianity to Islam to the Bahai Faith...it's been a LOOOONG journey to finding my spiritual home.

I read the Upanishads in high school and remember really enjoying it, decided to try the Bhagavad Gita and everything really hit home. Unlike other religious texts that I have read, there was nothing I didn't agree with, nothing that rubbed me the wrong way or seemed unfair.

So, like others I am wishing there were Adult Religious Classes to ease conversion or this learning process. It makes it hard to call yourself something you identify with when you are on the tip of the iceberg.

Now that's me, what about you?

:rainbow1:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Every holy celebration which is full of excitement and devotion is my favorite, however for sentimental reasons I have fondness for Durga Puja, Kali Puja and Navratri held in Kolkata in October-November.

My Ishta Lord is Hanuman, and I was adopted into Hinduism at 8 years old when called by Ganapati. This has nothing to do with which Devas or Devi is the "most sacred" (to me). My favorite mantra is Om Namah Sivaya. I love all Hindus, all devtoees, all the Devas and Devi. I also have cordial relations with some Suras and even those who might be considered a demon. My personal devotions is a very large list, but my primary adherence and loyalty is to the Cosmic Family of Shiva. My Ishta Lord Hanuman is a manifestation of Shiva or the 11th Rudra. Hanuman is the great devotee of Lord Rama and Mother Sita. Rama is a great devotee of Shiva Lingam and Mahadev.

Om Namah Sivaya

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

(sorry if there is any typos, I'm on the phone <_<)

1) I consider every aspect of God equally sacred, however my ista whom I pray most is Sri Siva, in the form of the lingam mostly, as Ardhanariswara sometimes.

2) I don't know how to explain this, I didn't choose Siva at all. Siva called to me, I came to meet Him, since then, there is an undying bond that link us. Without Siva I am nothing. Siva is for me all that is sacred and all that is not. My pleasures are Siva, my pains are Siva, suffering is Siva, joy is Siva, and all that surpasses feelings and gunas, all is Siva for me. How can I not see Siva as sacred, Siva as sacred is a very small part of what is Siva ! ;-)

3) Aum Namah Sivaya
From Muladhara to the thousand petalled lotus Aum namah Sivaya rise. This mantra is Siva

4) every monday is specially auspicious day for Siva worship, but Mahasivratri is the one I look most forward too. I enjoy Ganesh chathurthi too, it's a pleasure to have God as a guest. I also like Navratri....and great Murugan festival! I hope one day to do kavadi and pierce my cheeks with beloved trishul.

5) not born nor raised Hindu. No other religious background. I was acknowledging the existence of something greater, all around and beyond me. I was always opposed to beliefs and rules of christianity, so go on on very simples nature worships since I am little girl. I wondered to this greater thing "who are you" ? And fsome five years ago Siva came to me and asked me to meet in India. I went and met Him. That's the day I am born again, as a Hindu. There was no choice to make or doubt to have. It was this, and this only. :) I am forever bound to Siva's feets.

the universe, animate and inanimate, is His body.
The universe, animate and inanimate, is His play.
The universe, animate and inanimate, is He.
The whole universe, animate and inanimate, is a wonder.

Aum namah Sivaya

Stormcry

namaste.. so u r from iskcon-hinduism. If u wanna know something's real from vedic dharma, you should look at some other vedic vaishnwa organizations .

In hinduism, everyone have ishta-devata. Many hindus worship lord vishnu and his incarnations like ram or krishna.Mine ishtadevata is lord ganesha, satchitanand bramhan and i m a drvotee of lord krishna.In fact ganesha and krishna are one,cuz both are manifestations of same bramhan

lord krishna/ganesha make me sacred as he is atma of all living beings .

i chant om gan ganapataye namhah and gayatri mantra regarding with ganesha and Krishna.

i m born as hindu and my birth inspired me to this sanatana path. :D

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Namashkar Friends,

:namaste
My Isth devi is Maa Gayatri but I also worship Kali, Bagla and some other deties.

Can't be expressed by words.

What is your favorite mantra regarding this deva?
Gayatri mantra.

What is your favorite religious holiday?
Deewali

Born or raised Hindu? What inspired you or brought you to the path?
I am a born hindu however I was not very religious but all changed in last 2 to 3 years. :)

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Shiva is my ishta-devata. I also worship Maa Shakti (Parvati) Ganesha and Murugan.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Namashkar Friends,

1) Nataraja, pray a lot to Ganesha
2) He's God, and He dances a personal dance.
3) Namasivaya
4) You mean festival? Sivaratri, then Thai Pusam
5) adopted ... Nataraja found me.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member

1.) I lean towards Shaivism, so there is Lord Shiva. However, my Ishta-Deva is Lord Ganesha; as he is the one I connect to the most. Even though he is a part of Vaishnavism, I also have a soft-spot for Narasimha.

2.) His wisdom and love for devotees.

3.) I don't have one specifically for Ganesha, but my favorite Hindu mantra is Om Namah Shivaya.

4.) I haven't celebrated any yet, but Diwali seems like fun. :)

5.) Buddhism and Hinduism came naturally. They both were cemented as my paths through knowledge and experience.

Maija

1) Nataraja, pray a lot to Ganesha
2) He's God, and He dances a personal dance.
3) Namasivaya
4) You mean festival? Sivaratri, then Thai Pusam
5) adopted ... Nataraja found me.

@ #5, that is how I feel.

There are times I have changed my religion , making that logical choice by myself to initiate change and do some investigation into other paths.

There are also times like this time when I have felt summoned, a call I couldn't ignore and despite all fears have embarked on this path which is for the past year, the only way I feel God's presence.

My Isth devi is Maa Gayatri but I also worship Kali, Bagla and some other deties.

Sumit-ji, I have not heard of Bagla. Can you tell me more about Bagla? Nothing was coming up when I searched.

I also like Navratri....and great Murugan festival! I hope one day to do kavadi and pierce my cheeks with beloved trishul.

Namaste Jaya-ji!
I am very glad you are enjoying yourself in India, what a wonderful place to continue this journey, the perfect journey and the perfect place.

Do men and women pierce their cheeks? Is it a necessity or a sign that you have overcome your material body?

Afterwards do you keep these holes open or let them heal and every year re-pierce?

Code:
If u wanna know something's real from vedic dharma, you should look at some other vedic vaishnwa organizations .

I've been searching for many, there are none close enough for me to incorporate into my weekly routine.

Currently we are sharing a car (husband and I), while there is a bus that goes into the city, traveling on it with a toddler is a mess as it can take up to 2-3 hrs one way.

Soon.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@ #5, that is how I feel.

There are times I have changed my religion , making that logical choice by myself to initiate change and do some investigation into other paths.

Namaste Jaya-ji!
I am very glad you are enjoying yourself in India, what a wonderful place to continue this journey, the perfect journey and the perfect place.

Do men and women pierce their cheeks? Is it a necessity or a sign that you have overcome your material body?
Afterwards do you keep these holes open or let them heal and every year re-pierce?

I have never changed religion ... only gone from no religion to a religion. I have a hard time imagining changing religion.

The cheek piercing is in association with the Murugan festival Thai Pusam, and is more popular in Malaysia, Mauritius, South Africa, and Fiji these days.

The cheek piercing heals in a matter of hours, much like the needle from a dentist. Depending on where the kavadi festival has developed, and how, it varies. But in some places both men and women pierce, while in other places it's only men. One of the main reasons is to remain mauna during the kavadi trek.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Sri Krishna.

Tough to say; I think it was Maa Saraswati that brought me to him. When I began keeping her image near my music area, my guitar playing improved by light years (not that I'm now at the edge of the galaxy by any means :D). One thing lead to another. But I must add that Lord Shiva is no less God than Lord Vishnu; they are one and the same, per my signature.

Om namo N&#257;r&#257;yan&#257;ya.

I haven't really celebrated any except for two Janmashtamis, one at home and one at temple, both of which did not turn out as I expected. I always seem to miss Lakshmi Puja at Diwali and Durga Puja. But those are all the ones I would like to take part in.

Drawn to it as a teenager. Kept only slightly below the surface in my mind. Then a few years ago the flood gates opened.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Tough to say; I think it was Maa Saraswati that brought me to him. When I began keeping her image near my music area, my guitar playing improved by light years (not that I'm now at the edge of the galaxy by any means ). One thing lead to another. But I must add that Lord Shiva is no less God than Lord Vishnu; they are one and the same, per my signature.

That's really interesting. When learning about Sri Caitanya, I heard a story where either he, or a devotee of him, claimed that Sarasvati Mata brought him to Sri Krishna. I would hazard a guess that She is a devotee of his, perhaps?

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Namashkar Friends,

:rainbow1:

1. Ma Lakshmi.
2. She is like a mother to me. She gives me strength and soothes me in troubles times. She is also non-judgemental as all forms of God are. But I am drawn to her loving and generous nature.
3. I don't have the Lakshmi mantras memorized however I am fond of the Bhajan, Bhagyada Lakshmi Baramma
4. Hmmm - So far Diwali or Thai Poosum
5. Adopted Hinduism. Reading the Ramayana sparked my interest initially.

:camp:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would hazard a guess that She is a devotee of his, perhaps?

That could very well be. I don't remember ever hearing anyone else's story that one deity brought them to another. It's possible she knew I was seeking. I still feel a closeness to her, because I love music and learning things. In fact when I get discouraged about my playing and I think about giving it up, I think about how much of a "slap in the face" it would be to her, having helped me as much as she has. In fact, looking back, I believe that all through school she was my patroness, just as Sri Hanuman is my strength patron.

But of late I've been less than gracious or appreciative of either of them for letting my playing and strength training fall by the wayside. I have things on my mind that I think would probably be best resolved by praying to Maa Lakshmi and Lord Ganesha to remove these obstacles so I can return to the activities my "patrons" help me with. Now, this may all seem to negate the primacy of Sri Krishna, but he does say that all prayers and blessings are answered and bestowed, respectively by him alone.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Sumit-ji, I have not heard of Bagla. Can you tell me more about Bagla? Nothing was coming up when I searched.
Her name is Baglamukhi but she is also called bagla and peetambara{godess with golden complexion}. She is said to be the combine power of Vishnu and shrividhya.
bagalamukhi.jpg

That could very well be. I don't remember ever hearing anyone else's story that one deity brought them to another. It's possible she knew I was seeking. I still feel a closeness to her, because I love music and learning things. In fact when I get discouraged about my playing and I think about giving it up, I think about how much of a "slap in the face" it would be to her, having helped me as much as she has.
namaste
I long suspected the-one-and-sameness of Krishna and Saraswati. A devotees heart is the only test-lab for these things. I would love to hear from you more on this...

KT

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
namaste
I long suspected the-one-and-sameness of Krishna and Saraswati. A devotees heart is the only test-lab for these things. I would love to hear from you more on this...

KT

I found the phrase j&#257;ki rahi bh&#257;van&#257; jaisi prabhu m&#363;rat dekhi tin taisi and believe it. Because of my interest in music, God showed himself in the form of Maa Saraswati, then began to open my eyes little by little.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Her name is Baglamukhi but she is also called bagla and peetambara{godess with golden complexion}. She is said to be the combine power of Vishnu and shrividhya.
bagalamukhi.jpg

Very nice. Not many people I know worship any other Mahavidyas, other than Maa Kali and Maa Tara.