• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the real Imam Mahdi? Is he still to come?

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
All religions are expecting a Savior to come someday (some say at the end of world). Hindus expect Kalki, Christians await the Second Coming of Jesus, Jews await Moshiach and Muslims expect Imam Mahdi.

This topic is very relevant now, because for some unknown reason, many of these seem to think all these events are going to happen very, very soon.

Among the four, the Muslim savior is particularly interesting because there are many prophesies (or hadiths) regarding his return and there are multiple persons (with several million followers each) claiming to the real Imam Mahdi. Another interesting aspect of Islamic eschatology is that they not only expect the Imam but also say that he will be followed by the Second Coming of Jesus – in fact the two will both be present on Earth at the same time. One hadith of particular interest describe the Imam Mahdi leading a prayer with Jesus standing beside or behind him (in other words Jesus is the junior Savior – although Muslims probably don’t use the word ‘Savior’).

I am interested in discussing the merits of the various claimants and see what people think of the chances are of the ‘’real’ one coming soon.

The Ahmadis – they say that their leader Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (now deceased - 1908) is the Imam Mahdi. However, according to Islamic prophesy, the Mahdi is supposed to be followed by the Second Coming of Jesus. The Ahmadis solved this problem by saying Ahmad was both the Mahdi as well as Jesus, so instead of two separate persons they have come as one. (I have heard some Ahmadis claim that Ahmad is also Krishna, but I don’t know if that is the official position). The Ahmadi also claim that Jesus never died on the cross, but went on to live many years, finally dying and being buried in India (there is even a grave site). Apparently over 20 million believe these stories and are followers of Ahmad. Ahmadis claim to be Muslims, but most other Muslims don’t seem agree. So the Mahdi/Savior according them is come and gone, the world of world has not taken place, so maybe we are all already saved or we can be saved by believing in Ahmad. Mirza Ahmad has written many, many books – perhaps we should be reading them

The Bahais – They have two leaders the Bab and Bahaullah (both deceased), but Bahaullah (1817-1892) is the Founder of the faith. They initially claimed that their leader Bahaullah was the Imam Mahdi. But there was no Jesus who followed, so then they changed it to say Bahaullah was the Second Coming of Jesus and the Bab is Imam Mahdi. But that would make Bahaullah junior to Bab, so now they say that Bahaullah is not only Jesus but also ‘the Father’ (from the Bible, both Father and Son in one person). So the Islamic prophesy has been fulfilled - Imam Mahdi has been followed by the Second Coming of Jesus/the Father (although I don’t believe the two of them ever met or led a prayer together as predicted). Bahaullah himself was so sure of his position, he has written many verses in the exact same style as the beatitudes from the Bible. He has also written thousands of ‘tablets’, many still waiting to be translated. I don’t think Bahais claim to be Muslim, but they believe that Koran is the word of God. At least 8 million people believe in these claims of Bahaullah.

Recently Mohammed Abdullah al-Nasr of Egypt has claimed to be the Mahdi. I am not sure how many people believe his story, but I am sure he has at least some followers.

There is person India living in India who has claimed to be the Imam, but almost nobody seems to believe him.

I think the claims above are a bit dubious – any believers on this forum are welcome to try and convince me otherwise.

Most recently a couple of people have posted on these forums, saying the coming of the Mahdi is near (or has already occurred) . I have looked at their website/wiki but they don’t show an actual person. However, their goals and statements are good. They have even started believing in reincarnation – this is a major change in the dogma of Islam. Only very serious people would take such a big, drastic step of changing in their beliefs especially if you are a Muslim – these are strong convictions. So it looks like they have seen some kind of light. I will keep an open mind – may be this could be the real thing. My money (very small amount) is definitely on them.

This return of the Mahi is of importance not just to Muslims. If he is indeed the expected world savior, he is going to affect every person in the world one way or another. (Incidentally I am a Hindu).

So will the real Imam Mahdi please stand up ?!

Please comment and let me know what you think. (Also please correct any statements I have made above about the beliefs of different faiths above).

buddhist

All religions are expecting a Savior to come someday (some say at the end of world).
We early Buddhists aren't awaiting a savior. :D
  • "Self is savior of self; what other savior could there be? For only with self well tamed one finds the savior, hard to find." Dhp 160
  • "Neither mother, father, nor any other relative can do one greater good than one's own well-directed mind." Dhp 43
  • "By oneself is evil done; by oneself is one defiled. By oneself is evil left undone; by oneself is one made pure. Purity and impurity depend on oneself; no one can purify another." Dhp 165

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
We early Buddhists aren't awaiting a savior. :D

"Self is savior of self; what other savior could there be? For only with self well tamed one finds the savior, hard to find." Dhp 160

"Neither mother, father, nor any other relative can do one greater good than one's own well-directed mind." Dhp 43
I thought Buddhists are also expecting the next Buddha - Maitreya.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Mahdi has already come. His name is Mirza Ghulam Ahmad.
He was born in the year 1835 in Qadian, a village in Gurdaspur, India.
He died in the year 1908 at Lahore and is buried in his home village Qadian. Please
Regards

soulsurvivor

Premium Member

Mahdi has already come. His name is Mirza Ghulam Ahmad.
He was born in the year 1835 in Qadian, a village in Gurdaspur, India.
He died in the year 1908 at Lahore and is buried in his home village Qadian. Please
Regards
So the hadiths about Jesus coming together with the Mahdi (and even praying together) are false? He does not seem to have had much impact for a world savior/redeemer? Most of the world's Muslims don't seem to believe in him? I think the prophesy said that after the Mahdi comes, everyone would become Muslim. Is that still going to happen?

buddhist

I thought Maitreya is supposed to reintroduce 'true' Buddhism to humanity. I guess that is not going to save anybody?
He is said to rediscover the full depth of the Laws of Reality (Dhamma) after the teachings of the current age's Buddha have largely been forgotten. Neither the Buddha nor the future Buddha themselves are "Saviors", however.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
He is said to rediscover the full depth of the Laws of Reality (Dhamma) after the teachings of the current age's Buddha have largely been forgotten. Neither the Buddha nor the future Buddha themselves are "Saviors", however.
Then I guess he is not coming any time soon, since you don't seem to have forgotten the teachings yet.

danieldemol

Premium Member
All religions are expecting a Savior to come someday (some say at the end of world). Hindus expect Kalki, Christians await the Second Coming of Jesus, Jews await Moshiach and Muslims expect Imam Mahdi.

This topic is very relevant now, because for some unknown reason, many of these seem to think all these events are going to happen very, very soon.

Among the four, the Muslim savior is particularly interesting because there are many prophesies (or hadiths) regarding his return and there are multiple persons (with several million followers each) claiming to the real Imam Mahdi. Another interesting aspect of Islamic eschatology is that they not only expect the Imam but also say that he will be followed by the Second Coming of Jesus – in fact the two will both be present on Earth at the same time. One hadith of particular interest describe the Imam Mahdi leading a prayer with Jesus standing beside or behind him (in other words Jesus is the junior Savior
How does standing behind someone make the person behind younger?

The Bahais – They have two leaders the Bab and Bahaullah (both deceased), but Bahaullah (1817-1892) is the Founder of the faith. They initially claimed that their leader Bahaullah was the Imam Mahdi.
Citation required regarding Baha'u'llah being Imam Mahdi, it is The Bab who is Imam Mahdi in the Baha'i faith

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So the hadiths about Jesus coming together with the Mahdi (and even praying together) are false? He does not seem to have had much impact for a world savior/redeemer? Most of the world's Muslims don't seem to believe in him? I think the prophesy said that after the Mahdi comes, everyone would become Muslim. Is that still going to happen?
Mahdi means guided by G-d, another name of the Messiah as he will be guided by G-d Himself with Revelation from Him, a sign of being truthful. Please
Regards

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
How does standing behind someone make the person behind younger?

Citation required regarding Baha'u'llah being Imam Mahdi, it is The Bab who is Imam Mahdi in the Baha'i faith
Not younger, I meant junior in status - that's is why he stands behind and the Mahdi leads the prayer.

You are right, it is Bab who is claimed to be the Mahdi.

Last edited:

buddhist

Then I guess he is not coming any time soon, since you don't seem to have forgotten the teachings yet.
No, he's not arriving anytime soon. The texts of early Buddhism also suggest that the other alleged saviors are false, and bound for the hell realms.

buddhist

We will soon know whether Baha'u'llah is bound for hell realms or whether you are, be careful of what you say
I didn't condemn anyone to hell, unlike yourself. I am merely communicating what the early Buddhist scriptures state.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Among the four, the Muslim savior is particularly interesting because there are many prophesies (or hadiths) regarding his return and there are multiple persons (with several million followers each) claiming to the real Imam Mahdi. Another interesting aspect of Islamic eschatology is that they not only expect the Imam but also say that he will be followed by the Second Coming of Jesus – in fact the two will both be present on Earth at the same time. One hadith of particular interest describe the Imam Mahdi leading a prayer with Jesus standing beside or behind him (in other words Jesus is the junior Savior – although Muslims probably don’t use the word ‘Savior’).

I am interested in discussing the merits of the various claimants and see what people think of the chances are of the ‘’real’ one coming soon.

The Ahmadis – they say that their leader Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (now deceased - 1908) is the Imam Mahdi. However, according to Islamic prophesy, the Mahdi is supposed to be followed by the Second Coming of Jesus. The Ahmadis solved this problem by saying Ahmad was both the Mahdi as well as Jesus, so instead of two separate persons they have come as one. (I have heard some Ahmadis claim that Ahmad is also Krishna, but I don’t know if that is the official position). The Ahmadi also claim that Jesus never died on the cross, but went on to live many years, finally dying and being buried in India (there is even a grave site). Apparently over 20 million believe these stories and are followers of Ahmad. Ahmadis claim to be Muslims, but most other Muslims don’t seem agree. So the Mahdi/Savior according them is come and gone, the world of world has not taken place, so maybe we are all already saved or we can be saved by believing in Ahmad. Mirza Ahmad has written many, many books – perhaps we should be reading them

The Bahais – They have two leaders the Bab and Bahaullah (both deceased), but Bahaullah (1817-1892) is the Founder of the faith. They initially claimed that their leader Bahaullah was the Imam Mahdi. But there was no Jesus who followed, so then they changed it to say Bahaullah was the Second Coming of Jesus and the Bab is Imam Mahdi. But that would make Bahaullah junior to Bab, so now they say that Bahaullah is not only Jesus but also ‘the Father’ (from the Bible, both Father and Son in one person). So the Islamic prophesy has been fulfilled - Imam Mahdi has been followed by the Second Coming of Jesus/the Father (although I don’t believe the two of them ever met or led a prayer together as predicted). Bahaullah himself was so sure of his position, he has written many verses in the exact same style as the beatitudes from the Bible. He has also written thousands of ‘tablets’, many still waiting to be translated. I don’t think Bahais claim to be Muslim, but they believe that Koran is the word of God. At least 8 million people believe in these claims of Bahaullah.

Recently Mohammed Abdullah al-Nasr of Egypt has claimed to be the Mahdi. I am not sure how many people believe his story, but I am sure he has at least some followers.

There is person India living in India who has claimed to be the Imam, but almost nobody seems to believe him.

I think the claims above are a bit dubious – any believers on this forum are welcome to try and convince me otherwise.

Most recently a couple of people have posted on these forums, saying the coming of the Mahdi is near (or has already occurred) . I have looked at their website/wiki but they don’t show an actual person. However, their goals and statements are good. They have even started believing in reincarnation – this is a major change in the dogma of Islam. Only very serious people would take such a big, drastic step of changing in their beliefs especially if you are a Muslim – these are strong convictions. So it looks like they have seen some kind of light. I will keep an open mind – may be this could be the real thing. My money (very small amount) is definitely on them.

This return of the Mahi is of importance not just to Muslims. If he is indeed the expected world savior, he is going to affect every person in the world one way or another. (Incidentally I am a Hindu).

So will the real Imam Mahdi please stand up ?!

Please comment and let me know what you think. (Also please correct any statements I have made above about the beliefs of different faiths above).
I don't have any faith in the accuracy of these legends. My guess is these are just the projections of the misguided. The weirdest feature of all these myths is that in each scenario the "savior" dude (heaven forbid that said savior could possibly be woman) comes to support the religion that predicts their earthly romp.

Exit question: How arrogant does one have to be to think that the "savior" of humanity will come to support their particular religious delusions?