• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the moderators on this website

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I am pretty sure that these forums do not have a mission of protecting deities.

Would such a mission even make sense?
People spend all kinds of heroic efforts protecting all kinds of ideas; trying to prevent these ideas from being misunderstood or maligned. Or even trying to convert the world to these ideas. Seems like this is a worthwhile human endeavor.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I'd keep in mind rules 1 and 3:
Thanks. Yes, reading the guidelines and rules (and considering the posts I made yesterday) is what made me wish to reflect about the topic; to modify my attitude. I'm wondering: why am I here (on RF)?

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I fear that you will only frustrate yourself if you hold expectations that people will agree with that with any frequency.
Good point. I suppose if we always try to say things that interest and edify others; that their feedback will nourish us.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
In my opinion, some pseudo Religionists are sadists to the degree that they enjoy the pain of others.
Good point. Living and walking tall among the hordes of the lost and unredeemable (in fellowship with all the other specially chosen of your own in-group); this provides comfort, I suppose. I prefer cuddling with my dogs.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
people here call me a troll, but I don't actually intentionally post to offend people.
What is a troll anyway? Is someone who doesn't intend to offend people, but who does offend people; is that person a troll? And if someone claims to be offended; should we believe them? Maybe they aren't really offended but just think they are offended?

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
If I can survive here (just barely), then anyone can.
I'm trying to figure out how to enjoy my time on RF, and give people things to think about, while hoping they enjoy themselves in the process. I don't think I have to worry about being banned if I can keep this goal in mind.

I'm a naturally critical person, so this is a difficult challenge. If I fail, please feel free to ban me; I deserve the shame of it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm trying to figure out how to enjoy my time on RF, and give people things to think about, while hoping they enjoy themselves in the process. I don't think I have to worry about being banned if I can keep this goal in mind.

I'm a naturally critical person, so this is a difficult challenge. If I fail, please feel free to ban me; I deserve the shame of it.
I've never banned anyone.
Not for lack of trying, but since I'm not on staff it's really difficult.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
What do you mean by paying
It's called a bribe. When they inform you they plan to ban you, offer them money. Usually that will keep them from banning you, at least for a while. But once you start paying them, they will start to expect it more frequently, and you will be banned more often. Paying larger sums seems to help -- for a while anyway... Eventually, the whole thing gets too expensive, and you have to quit RF for good.

Or, you can join again with another account. But that will get you banned from the beginning, so you really can't win.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Oh, it certainly is. Some people have been mistreated to the point of needing that reassurance.
Interesting point. I would be helping some people if I correct false claims that cause them anxiety or stress; people who have been psychologically damaged by these false claims. I shall take this to heart. Thank you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'd keep in mind rules 1 and 3:

1. Personal Comments About Members and Staff
Personal attacks and name-calling, whether direct or in the third person, are strictly prohibited on the forums. Critique each other's ideas all you want, but under no circumstances personally attack each other or the staff. Quoting a member's post in a separate/new thread without their permission to challenge or belittle them, or harassing staff members for performing moderation duties, will also be considered a personal attack.

3. Trolling and Bullying
Where Rule 1 covers personal attacks, Rule 3 governs other behaviors and content that can generally be described as being a jerk. Unacceptable behaviors and content include:

1) Content (whether words or images) that most people would find needlessly offensive, especially when such content is posted just to get a rise out of somebody and/or is not part of a reasoned argument.

2) Defamation, slander, or misrepresentation of a member's beliefs/arguments, or that of a particular group, culture, or religion. This includes altering the words of another member to change their meaning when using the quote feature.

3) Antagonism, bullying, or harassment - including but not limited to personal attacks, slander, and misrepresentation - of a member across multiple content areas of the forums. Repeatedly targeting or harassing members of particular groups will also be considered bullying.

Which is why I refer to websites of Christian apologists as liars for Jesus. One cannot make that claim for members even if it is rather obvious.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. Yes, reading the guidelines and rules (and considering the posts I made yesterday) is what made me wish to reflect about the topic; to modify my attitude. I'm wondering: why am I here (on RF)?

Well, I'm here to learn about the beliefs others have, to hone my debate tactics, to learn from other knowledgeable people, and convey some of what I have learned.

The main difference in this site is that politeness is, in essence, the main rule. We *expect* differences of viewpoint. We expect people to have opposite ideas about many things. But, we *also* expect people to maintain decorum (well, not @Revoltingest, he's a lost cause on that score) and to engage in *civil* discussion.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Well, I'm here to learn about the beliefs others have, to hone my debate tactics, to learn from other knowledgeable people, and convey some of what I have learned.

The main difference in this site is that politeness is, in essence, the main rule. We *expect* differences of viewpoint. We expect people to have opposite ideas about many things. But, we *also* expect people to maintain decorum (well, not @Revoltingest, he's a lost cause on that score) and to engage in *civil* discussion.
OK, thanks for the insight. I shall endeavor to be helpful and respectful of others, if I can. (Probably I can't.)