• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the Mahdi in Islam?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I never heard of the concept of the Mahdi as having anything other than an unequivocally Muslim origin, nor of Maitreya having any form of non-Buddhist origin.

Do you know of any sources linking the two? Or perhaps it turns out that both names have a literal translation that has the same meaning?
I can hve misunderstood something about the connection between Mahdi and Maitreya But here is the link i provided in my first answer
http://www.cismor.jp/uploads-images...reya-Miroku-Saviors-in-Islam-and-Buddhism.pdf

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

firedragon

Veteran Member
I never heard of the concept of the Mahdi as having anything other than an unequivocally Muslim origin, nor of Maitreya having any form of non-Buddhist origin.

Do you know of any sources linking the two? Or perhaps it turns out that both names have a literal translation that has the same meaning?

Meaning of words.
  • Mahdi = A person who does things right. A person who does things kindly and well.
  • maitreya = friendly/Friend. It could also mean the kind, compassion the Buddha aims at someone or thing. Like the elephant who was drunk and running rampant who was subdued by the Buddhas Maithri.

So meaning are poles apart.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Islaamic and Buddhist perspectives are not nearly as mutually compatible as that text presumes them to be.
This would make an interesting list of religious tenants, and then compare what both actually teach on each...

True Islam based on the Quran has lots of similarities, as it is trying to identify the same Oneness.

Buddha tho goes into 0neness (Zeroness), where it is about the complete opposite, and Islam has too many materialistic ties within it, to understand some of its depths.

In my opinion. :innocent:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This would make an interesting list of religious tenants, and then compare what both actually teach on each...

True Islam based on the Quran has lots of similarities, as it is trying to identify the same Oneness.

Buddha tho goes into 0neness (Zeroness), where it is about the complete opposite, and Islam has too many materialistic ties within it, to understand some of its depths.

Yes, we have established that you see a lot more convergence among creeds than I do.

wizanda

Premium Member
Yes, we have established that you see a lot more convergence among creeds than I do.
Understand some views are different, which is why said we could list all the details, and then we can show where these ideas exists within the texts.

wizanda

Premium Member
Mahdi = A person who does things right. A person who does things kindly and well.
The term Mahdi does not occur in the Quran. It is derived from the Arabic root h-d-y (Arabic: هدي‎), commonly used to mean "divine guidance".

The Mahdi (Arabic: ٱلْمَهْدِي‎, ISO 233: al-mahdī, meaning "the guided one") - Mahdi - Wikipedia
What Hadiths do you consider or narrations from Imams?
The term al-Mahdi was employed from the beginning of Islam, but only as an honorific epithet and without any messianic significance. As an honorific it has been used in some instances to describe Muhammad (by Hassan ibn Thabit) - Mahdi - Wikipedia

Muhammad was even called the Rightly Guided Teacher: Imam Mahdi.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The term Mahdi does not occur in the Quran. It is derived from the Arabic root h-d-y (Arabic: هدي‎), commonly used to mean "divine guidance".

The Mahdi (Arabic: ٱلْمَهْدِي‎, ISO 233: al-mahdī, meaning "the guided one") - Mahdi - Wikipedia

The term al-Mahdi was employed from the beginning of Islam, but only as an honorific epithet and without any messianic significance. As an honorific it has been used in some instances to describe Muhammad (by Hassan ibn Thabit) - Mahdi - Wikipedia

Muhammad was even called the Rightly Guided Teacher: Imam Mahdi.

Great. Thanks. Yet, the meanings are very different.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Understand some views are different, which is why said we could list all the details, and then we can show where these ideas exists within the texts.

That is another divergence between us. I am not big on texts.

Limo

Some of the Sunni hadiths say "God will send" regarding the Mahdi, others also call him "God's Khaleefa", and the name Mahdi itself means he is guided and a guide.
The source of main issues of Islam is the ignorance of Arabic language.
Leaders of Shia, Bahaa, Bab, Ahmady, and many others are non Arabic native speakers, so most of their followers.
These relegions are mostly built its theology on non accurate assumptions.
Almahdy المهدى, is from the verb ehtda اهتدى means Allah guided him to be a good man. I've been guided (ehtadeet اهتديت) to islam.
I'm guided "ehtadeet" اهتديت to Islam.

Regarding, Hadeethes said "Allah sends" "sends" here doesn't mean prophet or messanger (naby or rasool). It means there will be. In Hadeethes, Prophet Said "when Allah sends false Elmaseeh (Antichrist)" it doesn't mean false Elmaseeh is a good man.

The Quran has elevated the status of guided guides and in the past were all chosen by God.
This is totally wrong. If you do search by yourself in Quran, you'll find that it's wrong.
Guided is used with all believers.
Just a sample
7:43
And We will have removed whatever is within their breasts of resentment, [while] flowing beneath them are rivers. And they will say, "Praise to Allah, who has guided us to this; and we would never have been guided if Allah had not guided us. Certainly the messengers of our Lord had come with the truth." And they will be called, "This is Paradise, which you have been made to inherit for what you used to do."

You see from the above verse that all believers in Alganna Paradise are thanking Allah because Allah guided them to be believers and Allah has sent messangers
What does it mean he is normal? Prophets were humans normal humans, but God graced them with higher spirituality, knowledge, and power.

Also, the Quran says "God attributes purity to who he pleases" and refutes those who attribute purity to themselves by reputation...

As well, some of ahadith show he will restore the earth to justice, and how can such a role be delegated to a person that is not special in God's eyes?
He'll be leader of moslem, he'll be helped by Almasseh. Then he rules the earth with justice.
He's neither prophet nby nor messangers rasool.
Nevertheless, Prophet Mohammed told us that Almahdy will grow up not even an excellent perfect moslem but Allah will guide (yahdy يهدي) in one night.

This all we've from true Ahadeeth from Prophet Mohammed, No more no less. Nothing in Quran about Almahdy.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The source of main issues of Islam is the ignorance of Arabic language.
Leaders of Shia, Bahaa, Bab, Ahmady, and many others are non Arabic native speakers, so most of their followers.
These relegions are mostly built its theology on non accurate assumptions

The Bab was a Persian and Arabic speaking Messenger.

The original translations were done by Shoghi Effendi who's native language was Persian and Arabic.

Regards Tony

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Guided is for believer, but Guide is for the chosen.

And there is Sunnu authentic ahadith that call him "God's Representative" (Khaleefatallah).

Limo

I d
The Bab was a Persian and Arabic speaking Messenger.

The original translations were done by Shoghi Effendi who's native language was Persian and Arabic.

Regards Tony
Even the translator is native Arabic speaker, the translation is wrong.
At the end of the day these claims don't persuade a Moslem. May be a few who are not well educated.
IBab, or Bahaa, or Ahmady, or so ever have built their thoughts on a fragile basis.
It can be noticed, majority of followers of these relegions are not Arabic moslems.

Limo

My friend your words up there "the name Mahdi itself means he is guided and a guide."
The word Elmahdy can't by any means translated as "a guide".
You can consult any Arabic student.
A guide is Alhady الهادى

You can see my friend that you've been mislead, using wrong assumption.

And there is Sunnu authentic ahadith that call him "God's Representative" (Khaleefatallah).
Totally wrong and big lie.
There is no "God's Representative" (Khaleefatallah). In Islam.
It contradicts with basis of Islam.
Even greater companion Abobakr rejected to be called "God's Representative" (Khaleefatallah).

No single Hadeeth says this as it's not accepted.

Again, you've been mislead with lies and wrong assumptions.

Sorry this is not personal. It's generic in Shiia, Bab, Bahaa, and Ahmady.

My friends, I've no issue with these relegions, the issue is leaders of these relegions are using wrong translation, wrong information, wrong assumption, and lies

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money

god said in quran that he will select adam to be khalifa allah which is mean successor

read this verse
2: 30 When your Lord said to the angels, “I am placing a successor on earth.” They said, “Will You place in it someone who will cause corruption in it and shed blood, while we declare Your praises and sanctify You?” He said, “I know what you do not know.”

Jesus was a prophet
Mahdi is an ordinary person not a prophet nor a messenger
Jesus is sent by God at the end of time, but He will not do prophecy
We are all human beings, we eat and get out and there is no god on earth or fictional characters
god will not exest on earth because he will not rotation around the sun i mean ruled by sun power
But divine gifts to mankind as Jesus did

god bless you and all friends on this site (^_^)

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
god said in quran that he will select adam to be khalifa allah which is mean successor

read this verse
2: 30 When your Lord said to the angels, “I am placing a successor on earth.” They said, “Will You place in it someone who will cause corruption in it and shed blood, while we declare Your praises and sanctify You?” He said, “I know what you do not know.”

Jesus was a prophet
Mahdi is an ordinary person not a prophet nor a messenger
Jesus is sent by God at the end of time, but He will not do prophecy
We are all human beings, we eat and get out and there is no god on earth or fictional characters
god will not exest on earth because he will not rotation around the sun i mean ruled by sun power
But divine gifts to mankind as Jesus did

god bless you and all friends on this site (^_^)

if you read surra 93
Morning Light (adh duha)

٦ أَلَمْ يَجِدْكَ يَتِيمًا فَآوَىٰ
6 Did He not find you orphaned, and sheltered you?
٧ وَوَجَدَكَ ضَالًّا فَهَدَىٰ
7 And found you wandering, and guided you?
٨ وَوَجَدَكَ عَائِلًا فَأَغْنَىٰ
8 And found you in need, and enriched you?
٩ فَأَمَّا الْيَتِيمَ فَلَا تَقْهَرْ
9 Therefore, do not mistreat the orphan.
١٠ وَأَمَّا السَّائِلَ فَلَا تَنْهَرْ
10 Nor rebuff the seeker.
١١ وَأَمَّا بِنِعْمَةِ رَبِّكَ فَحَدِّثْ
11 But proclaim the blessings of your Lord.

This message is from God to the Prophet, whom Muslims consider the best human figure
If the Koran was written by Muhammad, he would not have spoken in this way about Muhammad

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
At the end of the day these claims don't persuade a Moslem.

I have nil intention to persuade any person. That's up to their own selves.

I also expect many people would reject a Message without having any idea about that Message and as to what they are rejecting.

Peace be with you.

Regards Tony

InvestigateTruth

We never claimed this, Khamanei repeats he can't say we Islamic but our spirit is Islamic and that's what he means. He can't say all they do and practice is Islam. We wish it, but no one can......

Anyways, everyone is a damn hypocrite on the planet with what they preach... but Khamanei I will sell my life for him and be tortured for my whole life if need be, to protect him. Not because I believe in clergy or WF or the system we have nor the religion laws we hold, but because that man is that last stand against the darkness and if he falls, humanity and oppressed will suffer.

He is my biggest hope right now and I'm going to make do with reality, not perfectionism so as to destroy all the good accomplished and prepared.
I could never match rise of Khomaini, and Khameneyi with Islamic prophecies and theology, because if these two men indeed were Godly and Imam, one would expect them to be foretold in the Hadithes, but all we see in Hadithes is, anyone who rises before the rise of Qaim, is false, and as imam sadegh said, will be like a bird who would fall down.... so, I am not surprised why the Iranian Islamic Governemt has become weakened comparing to last decades.... the majority of Iranians have lost their hope on Islamic Government and do not believe in it, and majority of iranian people do not even believe in Islam anymore as they used to do in past decades.

Limo

I have nil intention to persuade any person. That's up to their own selves.

I also expect many people would reject a Message without having any idea about that Message and as to what they are rejecting.

Peace be with you.

Regards Tony
I didn't mean you're trying to persuade me or others.
I mean these wrong translations and assptions are not logically true, so moslems don't accept
Peace be with you too my friend.