• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the greatest US president of the 20th & 21st centuries?

Best president of the bunch?

• William McKinley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • William Howard Taft

• Woodrow Wilson

• Warren G. Harding

• Herbert Hoover

• Harry S. Truman

• Lyndon B. Johnson

• Richard Nixon

• Gerald R. Ford

• George H. W. Bush

• George W. Bush

• Total voters

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh come now, Luis. It's not like Kennedy forced the Russians to plant Ballistic Missiles in Cuba. The Russians saw him as a weak President and thought they could get away with it. They found out rather rapidly that he wasn't quite as weak as they had allowed themselves to believe.

Though the thought makes me shiver a bit, perhaps the best foreign policy initiatives were advanced by the Nixon administration under the tutelage of Henry Kissinger.

*Dons flame resistant RF body suit*

You are serious, aren't you? You are not alone, either.

Anyway, I happen to emphatically disagree. Strong-arm foreign policy is self-defeating. Are you aware that to this day the damage that Kissinger created isn't yet healed?

To bother to wonder whether a President is "strong" or "weak" is a sign that one is not daring to consider better approaches. Presidents aren't weightlifters. Whatever that supposed personal "strength" turns out to be, it is not important except to the extent that some people will insist in judging them by that perception.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Theodore Roosevelt. Tough enough to champion Progressive causes and start up the national park system and one of the few who could sport the title of bull moose, yet soft enough to have the teddy bear named after him (even if it was just a political cartoon).
582494_493610767371667_921475574_n.png

And Eisenhower, FDR, and some of the other Progressive presidents are closely behind. And JFK and Carter are probably last ones to actually do anything that actually means anything for those who aren't ultra-wealthy.
But I didn't snuggle with a Carter bear as a child, and it's not a giant Kenny bear that sits in my bed now (maybe a good thing).

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You are serious, aren't you? You are not alone, either.

Anyway, I happen to emphatically disagree. Strong-arm foreign policy is self-defeating. Are you aware that to this day the damage that Kissinger created isn't yet healed?

To bother to wonder whether a President is "strong" or "weak" is a sign that one is not daring to consider better approaches. Presidents aren't weightlifters. Whatever that supposed personal "strength" turns out to be, it is not important except to the extent that some people will insist in judging them by that perception.
You might try re-reading what I said, Luis. Think about it before just dashing to the keyboard. Just a thought.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hmm? Habitat for Humanity? Owning homes and getting people clean water? They still do it.
Of course it's still around, as is the Peace Corpse, but it was those presidents who got them started.

F0uad

Competitive, I would say. Very much a cold war policy.

The Cuban Missile Crisis happened under his watch, which IMO is a bad sign. I will be surprised if there is no disagreement on this matter, though.

Either Jimmy Carter or someone going back way before Kennedy, I believe.
Well then they are all crap.. sorry Americans.. :(

dust1n

Zindīq
Of course it's still around, as is the Peace Corpse, but it was those presidents who got them started.

Yeah... I think I misunderstood? I thought the complaint was that Jimmy Carter did the least amount of stuff for anyone other than the ultra-wealthy.

But he started Habitat for Humanity. He also returned the Panama Canal to Panama. So, I mean, I don't get the ranking of Jimmy Carter as someone who never helped poor people.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have come to believe that the trouble is not so much with leaders as with the rather unreasonable, if not unhealthy, expectations that are usually projected into them.

Things usually work better when people's individual vocations and peculiarities are allowed for and taken constructive advantage of. What is usually described as "strong leadership" is quite the opposite, and ultimately destructive - yet people keep longing for the "strong leader" all the while despising him when he shows not to be in agreement with their views.

I even find myself wondering if the best countries aren't those that have smaller populations and therefore a closer link between their authorities and their regular citizens. Such as many of the Nordic ones.

Wirey

Fartist
FDR took down Hitler and Japan. He prepared America for it's leadership role on the world stage. He forged a functional, albeit weird, alliance between democracy, theocracy, and commie-ocracy. With the possible exception of Churchill, the single most able politician of the 20th century.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
FDR took down Hitler and Japan. He prepared America for it's leadership role on the world stage. He forged a functional, albeit weird, alliance between democracy, theocracy, and commie-ocracy. With the possible exception of Churchill, the single most able politician of the 20th century.
It's very hard to argue this, Wirey. Consider my vote changed from Ronnie to FDR. I let my love for RR cloud my vision. :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That is so arguable. Including the Churchill part.

Churchill very much created Iraq as an unstable country, for instance.

And it seems to me that it were the soldiers who took down the Axis, perhaps the Russian ones over any others. Nor is it clear that FDR's handling of Fat Boy and Little Boy is to be considered responsible, either.

Wirey

Fartist
That is so arguable. Including the Churchill part.

Churchill very much created Iraq as an unstable country, for instance.

And it seems to me that it were the soldiers who took down the Axis, perhaps the Russian ones over any others. Nor is it clear that FDR's handling of Fat Boy and Little Boy is to be considered responsible, either.

FDR was dead when the bombs were dropped. That was Truman. FDR was told that the Germans were working on the same bomb, and he wanted to beat them to it, which is hardly irresponsible considering his insider's knowledge of what the Nazis were up to.

And Churchill, alone, faced down the arguably the single greatest evil that free people have ever had to go toe-to-toe with until help showed up. He made decisions that were incredibly hard, and sometimes mean, in order to win. His idea of the French-British union was 60 years ahead of it's time. His handling of the people of the UK during the darkest days of war were inspired. His decision to sink the French fleet was a hard one, but it was right, so he did it without regard for how history would paint him. He may have been the only man capable of saving Western civilization, and we (humankind) were damn lucky he was British, and not German.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Yes...yes...but Teddy stormed up San Juan Hill.