• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the God of Abraham to you?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Who is the God of Abraham to you? I've seen a couple of featured threads about the God of Abraham today but first we could ask who is He and can we define Him? So often when we discuss the God of Abraham we have vastly different concepts.

Is He a he, her or transcendent about human conception of gender. Is He knowable, unknowable and how can we know. Did He send Prophets, Messengers, Avatars or Manifestations? Do scriptures inform us of who He is? Which scriptures enlighten us and which lead us to confusion? Does He exist or not exist? What else should we know? Who is the God of Abraham to you?

I believe He is the creator of all things.

I believe God as a spirit has no gender but most often identifies with his male creation.

I believe He can't be fully known but we can know Him personally and from other people's experiences.

I believe He sent prophets.

If a prophet is defined by telling future events then a messenger is someone with a current message.

As defined as an embodiment of God then there is just one, Jesus.

I believe that depends on ow that is defined. If it means someone who brings the word of God to light then I believe that happens a lot but often people doing that are as wrong about God as they are right.

I believe Judeo-Christian scripture does best. The Qu'ran does next best. The Vedas and Sri Granth only provide a very limited amount of information without any confidence in the sources. I do not consider the B writings to be scripture but rather to be religious philosophy like Plato.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Irrelevant to me as well, as a Hindu. I think most Hindus who do think he might be relevant have been influenced by several decades of propaganda by invaders aggressively promoting their view.

I don't believe an all powerful God can ever be irrelevant. If I have an old map that shows Prussia on it then it is currently irrelevant. If one has an extremely old text that does not describe God very well and is often in error and has no identifiable source, then that could very well be irrelevant.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
So someone saying God is evil is because "God didnt show himself"?

If God didnt show himself, how would you know if God is evil or not?
Not what's being said, at all.

Per the scriptures, the god of Abraham is entirely reprehensible. "Evil", in a dramatic word.

If this is not the case, and he is not evil as described, there should be evidence of Abraham's god outside the scripture.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God would be known if he didn't send Prophets or Messengers or Guides, but only to such few people, while majority of humans would definitely fall prey to Satan. Very few would see the true God and walk the true path.

It's out of his compassion, that he opened a door of light so the darkness of our sins don't destroy us, and called to it through his books of his Prophets and messages of his Messengers explaining the truth, and got us connect to him through intercession of the Guides of our time and got them to help us battle our sins and pull us to God.

Yes even without poles that pull us towards God, it would be possible to worship God and know him, but so few would have walked this path, and darkness and oppression would have filled the world to intolerable states and world would be even more horrifying then it is now.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How can he hate evil when he himself has conducted acts that did inflict great evils and woes upon humanity? Genocide, permitting slavery, death over a great many "mind your business" things that aren't even crimes, and it's pretty easy to justify war in the Quran. Such as how groups like the Taliban are able to point to this and that as legit grievances to justify going to war against an oppressor (but they target specifically and strictly agents of the state).
The question is why you believe God did all or any of that? The Old Testament is anthropomorphic. God is not a human.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The question is why you believe God did all or any of that? The Old Testament is anthropomorphic. God is not a human.
It's what the Old Testament records as Yahweh/Jehovah/Allah having done or commanded or permitted. If you omit one thing, you impose on yourself a steep slope as to "why that and not this".
Perhaps you should read other non-anthropomorphic scriptures that portray the Abrahamic God differently.
That changes nothing. His oldest religion following him is still heinously and inexcusably violent and repressive. And in that he is portrayed as both non-anthropomorphic as well as so anthropomorphic he is recorded as having conversations seemingly as a human or something humanoid with some like Lot.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It's what the Old Testament records as Yahweh/Jehovah/Allah having done or commanded or permitted.
That does not mean that God actually commanded or permitted what is written in the text. Men wrote that, not God, and they were not even prophets.
That changes nothing. His oldest religion following him is still heinously and inexcusably violent and repressive. And in that he is portrayed as both non-anthropomorphic as well as so anthropomorphic he is recorded as having conversations seemingly as a human or something humanoid with some like Lot.
I don't believe any of that but you are free to believe it if you want to. God cannot be a human and a non-human at the same time because that is a contradiction. I don't care what the Bible says, it is not the only scripture ever written and it is not the most current.