• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the Devil?

ashai

gnostic said:
My problem is this.

Satan looks like he was working for God in the Book of Job. They don't look like arch-enemies. There are no indication that Satan is fallen here. So when was Job written? Most likely after the Exiled at Babylon. Perhaps even after their return.

If Satan had fallen before Adam (pre-existence as Optunia) was created or during the temptation at Eden, then why are there no mention of this fall?

As to the Revelation, you should no better than to rely on it as coherent texts. The contents in Revelation have far too many symbols that you can't take a single verse literally. The Revelation is too open to interpretations, and how many times have Christians tried to decipher it, and got it wrong. So many times, they thought they found the date of Christ's 2nd coming, but each time he doesn't show up on the reported dates.

Don't get me wrong, optunia. The Revelation is a very interesting book, but the so-called visions and revelations have made fools of many.

Answer this.

Why did none of the books give us the name of Satan until the Jews had been exiled to Babylon? Why did archangels Michael and Gabriel wasn't mention until this time as well?

I find it a coincidence that Satan, Michael, Gabriel, and other angels and demons have not been given any name until their contact, first with the Neo-Babylonians and then with the Persians. Babylon, at the time of Nebuchazzar, had contact with Zorastrianism (because Persia and Media was part of the Persian Empire), which had a very complex angelology and demonology.

The pseudigrapha books of Enoch and book of Daniel are a classical example of direct Zorastrian influence. There are bunch of Jewish literature that had expanded narratives in the Torah.

The OT bible, or the Hebrew Tanakh, have no mention of Satan until the later books. Not a single time, did the Torah, or the 1st books of the OT, mention the Fall of Satan.

I did find the Fall of Satan, but not in the canonical texts. It is found in the Haggada, which consisted of exaggeration of the canonical texts, derived from Talmud, Midrash and other texts that were used by the Jews as interpretations of narratives and the Mosaic laws. You will find the English translation of the Haggada (titled the Legends of the Jews) at Sacred Texts (Judiasm).

By the time of Jesus and his disciples, they would be familiar with such legends of the Fall of Satan, or that of the books of Enoch.

Ushta Gnostic:)

While I totally agree with you , being a Zoroastrian, I will have to make a couple of clarifications. True the Jews , specially the sects, borrowed heavily from Persian religion, indeed this borrowing was probably encouraged at least during the Early Achaemenians, by the Persians themselves.

However, the 'Zoroastrian' religion that was 'borrowed' was a much corrupted version of the original teachings. Zarathushtra does not teach of a Devil at all. Another clarrification the Persian devil of the Achaemenians )Angra Mainyu , was an uncreated being. Co-eval with Ahura Mazda who in due time would defeat Angrah Mainyu and then reign supreme.:eek: So there were big differences indeed. The sectarian Jews, adapted Persian Theology and dressed it in Jewish clothing so to speak.

You might also be unaware of a latter and more direct link to Chriatianity. Namely Paul himself! Paul was a native of Tarsus which was in the old region of Cappadocia, which the Romans divided into several provinces including Asia. However Cappadoccia had a very large and influentual Zoroastrian presence *( Sects but powerful ones) until way into the 3rd Century AD. Tarsus was famous in the 1st Century for two large Fire temples and for processions of Vohuman and other Amesha Spentas

Some of Paul's concepts, notably his description of the Complete in 1 Cor. 13 is almost a reading from a Zoroastrian theology text.:eek:

Ushta Te
Ashai

ashai

"Beelzebub. More commonly referred to in the NT, Jesus was accused of working with Beelzebub to drive out devils.
Beelzebub stems from Baal, but unlike popular misconceptions Baal was not a single deity. Baal in Canaanite means 'lord'. Each Canaanite village had its own Baal (lord) usually paired with an Ashtoroth (lady). "

Ushta

Yes Beel= Baal which means Lord zebub means of the Flies , thus Lord of the Flies, This very epithet, Lord of the Flies, was one of the epithets given to Angrah Mainyu in the Young Avesta This is one more of many clear influences of Persian religion on Judaism, mostly on sectarian Judaism but also in main line Judaism, before the 1st century. And since Jesus himself used it, it is prima facie evidence of direct influence on Christianity:)

Ushta Te
Ashai
The Doctrine of the Most Wise is to love mankind
Denkard:dan:

ashai

joeboonda said:
56:5 Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts are against me for evil.
(King James Bible, Psalms)
3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
(King James Bible, 2 Peter)

The Bible is so plain and clear about Satan and how he is our enemy seeking whom He may devour, and from what I see on these forums, he is doing a great job of deceiving many, and taking as many with him as he can. Christ knows the end of all who are deceived by Satan, a horrible end, so horrible Christ had to die a horrible death to save us from that place. We are too proud, our righteousness is as filthy rags to a holy God. We must have Christ's righteousness imputed freely unto us, that is God's plan of salvation, Satan does not want anyone to accept this free gift. He is your enemy and mine, do not be misled.

Ushta :bow:

Yup i am deceived if deceived means seen a book at leats 1200 years older than the NT teaching the same 'original' doctrines:)

Ushta te
Ashai
The Doctrine of the Most wise, is to love mankind
Denkard :dan:

ashai

Malkav's Knight said:
Its funny...the concept of the war in heaven, of angels and demons is a Zoroastrian descended belief. Zoroastrianism sees good and evil as one in the same. So it is entirely possible that God and Satan are one in the same, or that Satan is still very loyal to God. Satan is not a proper noun, it is a title: God's Adversary. Perhaps Satan is merely playing the role that God intented.

Ushta!
HUH! Excuse me!:eek: Zoroastrianism sees good and evil as the same?:eek: Where in garo demana did you come up with that? :confused:

On the contrary the whole teaching of Zarathushtra is to have mortals learn how to choose right/good over evil/wrong?

Just to give you one of many definite quotes from the Gathas, and Mazda is my witness I don't quote unless absolutely necessary , here is Ahunavaiti 3,8 -10 And when these erred ones have fully received their just desserts, through Asha, ( The Right Order) they will be taught to deliver wrong ( DruJ) unto Asha. And then, truly, the power of evil shall be shattered and vanished forever and all mortals will know of the gifts of Vohumana ( The Mind which Loves Good) and partake of the bliss of Ushta ( Illumination):dan:

I believe you either have been had or been seriously misinformed. Can you quote some sources for your statement?

Ushta Te
Ashai

ashai said:
Ushta!
HUH! Excuse me!:eek: Zoroastrianism sees good and evil as the same?:eek: Where in garo demana did you come up with that? :confused:

On the contrary the whole teaching of Zarathushtra is to have mortals learn how to choose right/good over evil/wrong?

Just to give you one of many definite quotes from the Gathas, and Mazda is my witness I don't quote unless absolutely necessary , here is Ahunavaiti 3,8 -10 And when these erred ones have fully received their just desserts, through Asha, ( The Right Order) they will be taught to deliver wrong ( DruJ) unto Asha. And then, truly, the power of evil shall be shattered and vanished forever and all mortals will know of the gifts of Vohumana ( The Mind which Loves Good) and partake of the bliss of Ushta ( Illumination):dan:

I believe you either have been had or been seriously misinformed. Can you quote some sources for your statement?

Ushta Te
Ashai

Good...finally someone who can help me with Zoroastrianism, or at least I hope you are willing to help. I was lead to think that Ahura Mazda had conflicts with himself due to the duality of good and evil inside him. I must be wrong. I interpreted this to mean that in Zoroastrianism, there is no seperation of good and evil as in Judaism, i.e. God/good/heaven .VS. Satan/bad/hell. Please enlighten me. Zoroastrianism is something I am gaining huge interest in and would like some help with it.

TheCup

I know this is a wierd question but Who is the Devil?
we have been taught that he is Lucifer is the Devil (Satan) and one of Gods fallen angels but can you tell me where it says this in the Bible?
Please give me some scripture to back this story up.
There is actually a huge mountain of collective ideas and millions of personal opinions, concerning the extreme mystery behind the evil adverse elements we mortals all have to live with today. What one believes to be Satan another say Satan is a fallen archangel while others say Satan is not related to the archangel Lucifer. Actually the concept of evil relative to an archangel or even to Satan is a very widespread aspect of global confusion, I believe if there is a real Satan he would have it no other way. But as for the location of such a concept, I suppose that can be found in the Biblical gospels of the old testiment, likely in the book of EZEKIEL CHAPTER 28.
Now one must try to understand many doubters out there will say this is not actually talking about Lucifer or Satan because the names of both are not recorded there; however "The Prince of Tyrus" (recorded at the beginning of the chapter was actually never alive or existing anywhere close to the ancient days during the Garden of Eden events. but the scriptures are directly regarding to a being who was there. It was Gods' way of showing the reader how the Prince of Tyrus related closely to the fallen Satan.
Just the same, the scriptures throughout the book of Ezekiel, chapter 28 was Gods' unique way of showing the reader a very close personal connection (in comparison) to the same type of characteristics found in Satan, and in doing so, God chose to do that through using The Prince of Tyrus (which was very much like Satan, in characteristics, back in the ancient days of the Prince of Tyrus).
Here comes the kicker to show waht I am talking about:
EZEKIEL chapter 28: verses 13 through 18
13. Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
14. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so : thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
15. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
16. By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
17. Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
18. Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.

The Prince of Tyrus was actually not present with God in the Garden of God, so this scripture was actyually not relating directly to The Prince of Tyrus, but more likely it was indirectly relating to a special kind of being who was truly there with God, which is recorded to be the cunning sepent (some folks say that serpent was actually Satan) Genesis chapter 3: verse 1.
However, go just a bit further here; look real good at the rest of these recorded scriptures listed above. These other scriptures will also become more understandable as actually being Lucifer first then Satan and the archangel Lucifer was Godly created to be perfect, at the start of the mystery I mean. I'll stop ther this can get quite deep and more complex than most people of today is currently will to explor.
Hope this helps in some way. It is the best I can do at this time; but, believe me and rest assured, there's very much more for people to explor and consider here, yet. Have a good day, God bless... ;)

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
x.x cup.... why did you resurrect a topic last active in 2008 (which is really a topic that was last active in 2006) when you JUST posted in a near identical topic 'who is the devil?'

TheCup

x.x cup.... why did you resurrect a topic last active in 2008 (which is really a topic that was last active in 2006) when you JUST posted in a near identical topic 'who is the devil?'

:) Actually I have absolutely no idea exactly what was posted or active in 2008 and the 2006 thing is something I can't really relate to; however, THE QUESTION REGARDING "WHO IS THE DEVIL" can often be best defined in the manner for which I recorded in the post.

You know: Informedigorance: There are many millions of Christian and even non-Christian people alike out there in our highly diversified thinking world of some 6 1/2 billions people of today who really think and deeply believe the old Devil and/or old Satan just sort of popped his bad old self right out of the mysterious woodwork of, o-well, exactly what person today knows exactly where the Devil and/or Satan actually came from.

To be extremely frank here, the above way of extremely bandy thinking and/or even attempting to relate one's self to the existence od "A Devil" and/or even for one to best understand the adverse workings and the extremely evil existence of Satan just sort of puts a very huge dampering downgrade on infallible Biblical truth it also slightly undermines everything relating to the absolute surpreme perfection abilities of the same recorded God found within the pages of the triditional King James Verson Bible.

I just have to tell ya; I only consider and I only personally relate to the "triditional" King James Bible; although, I have deeply studied most all Biblies and most all religions around the world, and I have done so for some 45 to 46 years now.

I speake some Hebrew and some Greek, And believe it or not, there is absolutely not one religion or any religious text on this planet earth that was not fashioned and/or written by the mortal hands of some collection of human being...!

Which text offers the world absolute undeniable and refuritable evidence and factual truth, "any more that another...?" So, for anyone to best determine this fact, this can only be done by a singel beholder (it's personal...!). Another thing for us extreme theological thinking modern-day intellectuals to also consider here is this:

When we limited thinking concrete thinking human being's begin to closely compare any and all modern-day forms of Christianity, and/or just any kind of personal ideas, opinions based upon any religion aganist the modern-day personal opinions, ideas, guesswork, and the such, those based entirely upon the Theorie of Human Eveolution, then, the only way anyone on earth can see any differences between these two extreme widely accepted modern-day fields of growing human interest is, absolutely not one of these two major modern-day beliefs has any clear (none-reconstructed) physical evidenece for which to support and/or to back up any of todays widely unproven Christian and non-Christian claims.

Case in point:
Has anyone on planet earth today actually seen the one true God with their eyes, the one who created the entire human race...? Has anyone on planet earth today ever seen that same Biblically recorded God, the one found in our own Bible's, spiritually inspire even one of those widely recorded ancient-day prophets of old, who is so widely recorded throughout the Holy Scriptures...?

Do people today actually think there is anyone around today who was even "there" when God actually spoke out aloud and gave the ten commandmaents to Moses...? Also: and furthermore; Is there anyone alive on planet earth today who was actually standing there two thousand years ago, when the Romans naild Jesus Christ to the cross...?

Have we ever wondered just how long such evidence(s) would really hold up in any of todays courts of law...? O-Well---If the truth were really admitted by any of our major Christian leader's of today and the actual truth were strickly applied and even acknowledged by any and all of our scientific resercher's of today, then I wonder, would there be even one truthful person on planet earth who can honestly say that any and all religious text, those we are aware of today was "NOT" composed and "NOT" based upon mere human assumption, and then admit that all personal beliefs (scientific or otherwise) is really noting but mere second hand news, based upon ancient-day hearsay used as modern-day evidence...?

Informedigorance: Until HUman Evolution researcher's can actually produce the actual male and female ape (or monkey) that truly produced and/or sired the entire human race, The Theory of Human Evolution will always remain nothing more than what it claims itself to be today, which is a mere THEORY."

Likewise, until someone within or throughout the religious and/or Christian fields of interest can actually produce indesputable evidence that the Holy Bible is or any other so-called religious text was Godly created, than, logic demands, any and all religions text (Christian and/or otherwise) will always remain exactly what it is, it's nothing more than a "BLIND FAITH" Biblical concept, which both fields of interest is actually based upon people's personal beliefs, and all of this is even born from the ancient sands of time itself.

The way I see it, if I were going to believe in some filed of interest or in just anything people tend to place some form of faith in, I believe I would rather choose a belief system that offered me something in return other than I came from the apes and monkey's and somthing very, very personal in return for my loyal dayily favors. It just so happens I believe in the trditional King James Bible. At least I am offered entrnal life for my BLIND FAITH favortisim.

I believe there is a real Satan and I believe Satan was once the archangel Lucifer, which I also believe what the Bible tells me about the creation of Lucifer who also became ego sick and altered into Satan.

Now, the Bible tells me God is the one and only creator who created Lucifer, and from that creation Satan was born. For anyone to think and/or believe this same God had absolutely nothing at all to do with that strange adverse birth (Satan) is absolutely not very logical, because that same God is absolutely "all knowing" and also He is absolutely "all wise."

Frankly to be honest, for anyone on earth to actually think and/or even believe God did not have any idea, and know about, or see what was going to unfold from within the Godly created archangel Lucifer, long before it such an adverse action actually unfolded, is also not very spiritually intellectual and its not being logical at all...! By the way, there is nothing in the Holy Bible that tells ud Satan has any Godly type creative powers (like God) at all...!

The question above: "WHO IS THE DEVIL...?" That is waht I focused upon. It should also be clear, the Devil is a Godly created aspect of Gods' full creative intentions, which also means, God must have had a very good reason for the Devil's strange presence here on our planet earth. Think about this, where would our human salf will have come from or have evolved other than from the spiritual death of Adam and Eve, and eactly how would such an event came about without Satan who came from the creative handiworks of God through Lucifer...?

Well, enough said, see ya later.........:cool:......:run:

sincerly

Hi Cup, welcome to the forums.
I did read well over half of the posts of this thread and like most it is divided into those who Believe the Bible and those who Disbelieve it.

I agree with most all you Posted, Thanks.