• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the Deist God?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I have read many deism debates on the internet and one pragmatic issue has always occurred to me.
Who is the deist god? Many deists use phrases such as "Creating Force", "All Powerful Entity" or "Creator". There seems to be no consistent views as to what to call the god of the Deists since deism is a religion....for the individual and not for the collective masses.
Some deists say that assigning names to god is pointless while some say that any name will do.
If that is the case then I shall let it be known that the one true god is "John Weiner Mirer Rumpleskilton VII".
"Oh Lord, John Weiner Mirer Rumpleskilton VII. Blessed are you amongst deities and humorous be thine name and laughable be thy heaven"

I myself just stuck with Allah since it applies no gender and its attributes are as vague as possible. Being an ex-Muslim I just chose what I already knew and decided to "not fix what ain't broken". I have known a fellow deist/agnostic friend of mine to sincerely refer to god as "Bearded Guy". Despite the humorous connotations it seems that deism provides all the answers deism provides about the nature and existence of god it provides none on who exactly IS god. The most defining element of any god has always been his name since the name itself holds the power for one's imagination to vividly assign the nature of the deity at hand. By mentioning the word Jesus to others, people have already began to imagine a white man in robes with long hair atop his head.
Do any fellow deists find this issue important?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I would point out that 'deistic' gods do not necessarily refer to a single set of god concepts, for example, one could claim Allah to be deistic - a non intervening god, likewise you could envisage a pantheon of deistic gods none of whom intervene. While one or more creator deistic god concepts may well be included (either as the only deity or as one of many) not all deities need be creator gods; indeed it would be possible (though probably not particularly likely) for a deistic position to include no creator gods, but rather assume naturalistic creation of existence and that instead the deities form some other role in existence such as the creation, maintenance and evaluation of consciousnesses... there are many ways non intervening deistic positions could be constructed, as many as there are intervening theistic positions.

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I would point out that 'deistic' gods do not necessarily refer to a single set of god concepts, for example, one could claim Allah to be deistic - a non intervening god, likewise you could envisage a pantheon of deistic gods none of whom intervene. While one or more creator deistic god concepts may well be included (either as the only deity or as one of many) not all deities need be creator gods; indeed it would be possible (though probably not particularly likely) for a deistic position to include no creator gods, but rather assume naturalistic creation of existence and that instead the deities form some other role in existence such as the creation, maintenance and evaluation of consciousnesses... there are many ways non intervening deistic positions could be constructed, as many as there are intervening theistic positions.

This is indeed true but it does not come down to the specifics of the deity at hand but rather the relation this deity has towards the principle teachings of deism itself. Which is being that god can only be understood by rational observation alone and the rejection of all dogma. With this core value being placed as the defining aspect of desim I am sure deist could unite on the name or value of god according to deism's definement of god.
Whether god created or did not create is entirely irrelevant but whether god can be understood through the core tenet of deism is the true character of a a deistic deity/entity.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
The problem is your question is defunct as to form. "Who" is an insufficient interrogative for qualifying the nature of "God" for a deist. "Who" presumes that there is a being and/or that definition/distinction is possible.

The reason why so many different creative labels and phrases are used to refer to "God" for deists is because the true conception is impossible to define. Deists delight in the search for truth and the revelation of the beauty of nature; science for them becomes a kind of ritual worship: observation their only credo. Perhaps the best "definition" I have come across for the deity of the deist is this: "God" is the ultimate answer.

Ask any question: This will lead to an answer. You are then able to ask why that answer is so. You can do this any number of times. Eventually you will hit an impasse: this will probably be the result of you not caring enough to want to do what it takes to learn the answer (humans might not know the answer yet, but the answer is almost certainly possible to find out).

Now reality (as in the whole of everything, not merely the universe) might be limited: in which case your asking "Why" will eventually find an end. If that is true, then you have found "God." Reality might very well be infinite: the search will never end. In that case "God" is found only in showing that reality is indistinguishable from "God."

MTF

If we are take deism seriously, we must assume it is ONE force manifesting as many; nature, destiny, etc. The real question ia how much does IT get involved here..or did it set everything up like a watch ticking away to it just stops.

Last edited:

droque

Who Is the Deist God?

The Deist God is: Whatever is the Truth that created the nature of the universe--which no one knows. I personally prefer to call it the “God of Nature”.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I have read many deism debates on the internet and one pragmatic issue has always occurred to me.
Who is the deist god? Many deists use phrases such as "Creating Force", "All Powerful Entity" or "Creator". There seems to be no consistent views as to what to call the god of the Deists since deism is a religion....for the individual and not for the collective masses.
Some deists say that assigning names to god is pointless while some say that any name will do.
If that is the case then I shall let it be known that the one true god is "John Weiner Mirer Rumpleskilton VII".
"Oh Lord, John Weiner Mirer Rumpleskilton VII. Blessed are you amongst deities and humorous be thine name and laughable be thy heaven"

I myself just stuck with Allah since it applies no gender and its attributes are as vague as possible. Being an ex-Muslim I just chose what I already knew and decided to "not fix what ain't broken". I have known a fellow deist/agnostic friend of mine to sincerely refer to god as "Bearded Guy". Despite the humorous connotations it seems that deism provides all the answers deism provides about the nature and existence of god it provides none on who exactly IS god. The most defining element of any god has always been his name since the name itself holds the power for one's imagination to vividly assign the nature of the deity at hand. By mentioning the word Jesus to others, people have already began to imagine a white man in robes with long hair atop his head.
Do any fellow deists find this issue important?

I now refer to God as It. Gender is a reference to biological reproduction, and assigning God a gender is merely evidence for humanly applied anthropomorphic qualities.