• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is our brother?

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Alma 5

30 And again I say unto you, is there one among you that doth make a amock of his brother, or that heapeth upon him persecutions?
31 Wo unto such an one, for he is not prepared, and the atime is at hand that he must repent or he cannot be saved!

Guys, in your opinion does this mean don't mock any human as I have heard many of you say we are all God's children. The cross references for mock are backbiting or mocking.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
*Paul* said:
Alma 5

30 And again I say unto you, is there one among you that doth make a amock of his brother, or that heapeth upon him persecutions?
31 Wo unto such an one, for he is not prepared, and the atime is at hand that he must repent or he cannot be saved!

Guys, in your opinion does this mean don't mock any human as I have heard many of you say we are all God's children. The cross references for mock are backbiting or mocking.
Yes, that would be right, but our understanding of salvation is a bit more multi-layered than you may realize.

By the way, I can tell that you've pulled this quote from the official LDS site (which I appreciate). But, simply for ease of reading and searching, you might find this site a little more readable:

http://www.hti.umich.edu/m/mormon/

This is the one I use to read the Bible online: http://www.hti.umich.edu/k/kjv/

I don't know what version of the Bible you use, but if you like the KJV, it's the best one I've found. I almost never use the official LDS site for either the Bible or the Book of Mormon unless I'm really interested in what the footnotes have to say.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
*Paul* said:
Alma 5

Paul,
that is the way I understand it as well. Everyone is our brother and sister. (think of Jesus' answer when asked who our neighbor was).

Bishka

Veteran Member
*Paul* said:
Alma 5

Exactly. You've got it right. :)

Nice to see someone reading in Alma. Funny enough, I believe my husband and I are on the same chapter.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Snowbear said:
Do non-LDS such as the so-called 'mainstream' or 'fundie Christians' count as brothers and sisters?

Snowbear. I can only guess who you had in mind as you asked this question. :D Do you feel persecuted??? you shouldn't. nothing wrong with a good discussion. There is no malice (speaking for myself).

But to answer your question, yes, we believe everyone (that means everyone) on this lovely planet to be our brothers and sisters.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
1 Kgs. 18: 27
27 And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is apursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.

Would you say Elijah was wrong to do this. I always loved this example personally.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Katzpur said:
Yes, that would be right, but our understanding of salvation is a bit more multi-layered than you may realize.

By the way, I can tell that you've pulled this quote from the official LDS site (which I appreciate). But, simply for ease of reading and searching, you might find this site a little more readable:

http://www.hti.umich.edu/m/mormon/

This is the one I use to read the Bible online: http://www.hti.umich.edu/k/kjv/

I don't know what version of the Bible you use, but if you like the KJV, it's the best one I've found. I almost never use the official LDS site for either the Bible or the Book of Mormon unless I'm really interested in what the footnotes have to say.

Thanks KatzPur but I like to browse all of your documents not just the book of mormon and the KJV. I like to look at P O G P and D & C when getting an understanding of the LDS position.
After having read through a few other bibles I now only read the KJV

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
*Paul* said:
1 Kgs. 18: 27
27 And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is apursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.

Would you say Elijah was wrong to do this. I always loved this example personally.

this is one of my personal favorites as well. I love to picture the scene. having said that, I do not think Jesus would have done it quite like this but who knows. Elijah had plenty of right to be upset and he was also doing good to show baal was a worthless god to worship. Personally, I don't think this is the kind of behaviour the scripture was really going after, do you?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
*Paul* said:
Thanks KatzPur but I like to browse all of your documents not just the book of mormon and the KJV. I like to look at P O G P and D & C when getting an understanding of the LDS position.
After having read through a few other bibles I now only read the KJV

Paul,
we all have our preferences. I, like you, use the scriptures.lds.org website. I particularly like the topical guide section where you can look up a subject and find all of the scriptures linked to it. I think it is a very powerful and useful tool for learning what and why we believe what we do. If you haven't browsed around the topical guide, I think you might really enjoy it.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
comprehend said:
this is one of my personal favorites as well. I love to picture the scene. having said that, I do not think Jesus would have done it quite like this but who knows. Elijah had plenty of right to be upset and he was also doing good to show baal was a worthless god to worship. Personally, I don't think this is the kind of behaviour the scripture was really going after, do you?

Well there are examples of God mocking in the bible too and saying He will mock so I can't say that Jesus is against it as such as He would be contradicting Himself.

But wouldn't you say that the priests of baal were elijahs brothers?

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
comprehend said:
Snowbear. I can only guess who you had in mind as you asked this question. :D Do you feel persecuted??? you shouldn't. nothing wrong with a good discussion. There is no malice (speaking for myself).
You can guess.... but it was not you and I was actually asking in a general sense.
'Us vs them' statements don't do much toward fostering the brother/sisterhood mentioned in the OP as well as questioned in my post.

No, I do not at all 'feel' persecuted. Mocked maybe, but not persecuted :D
comprehend said:
But to answer your question, yes, we believe everyone (that means everyone) on this lovely planet to be our brothers and sisters.
Thank you :hug:

Bishka

Veteran Member
Snowbear said:
Do non-LDS such as the so-called 'mainstream' or 'fundie Christians' count as brothers and sisters?

Absolutley.

As President Brigham Young said:

" We are all His [referring to God] children. We are His sons and daughters naturally, and by the princples of eternal life. We are brethren and sisters."

This means, atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, other Christians, blacks, whites, male, female, short, tall, straight, homosexuals, etc. We are all brothers and sisters.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Snowbear said:
Mainstream Christians, fundamentalist Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, pagans, agnostics and atheists are all God's children. Consequently, we are all brothers and sisters.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
*Paul* said:
Alma 5

I'd have a problem with that because if read closely Jesus can be seen as being a bit sarcastic at times. I'd offer John 3:10 as an example.

Bishka

Veteran Member
sandy whitelinger said:
I'd have a problem with that because if read closely Jesus can be seen as being a bit sarcastic at times. I'd offer John 3:10 as an example.
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/john/3

Jesus says it very well in Matthew

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be ein danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." (Matthew 5:22)

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit aadultery:

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. "
(Matthew 5:27-28)

Both of these scriptures are quite similar to the one that Paul posted found in the Book of Alma, chapter 5.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
sandy whitelinger said:
That's exactly right and in the OT too, that was what led me to ask the question, God says I will mock at your calamity. God sits in the the heavens and laughs (in derision). I know that the LDS know these things so I was wondering what that verse in alma means to them.

Bishka

Veteran Member
*Paul* said:
That's exactly right and in the OT too, that was what led me to ask the question, God says I will mock at your calamity. God sits in the the heavens and laughs (in derision). I know that the LDS know these things so I was wondering what that verse in alma means to them.

Paul,

Could you direct me to the verse that says 'mock at your calamity'? Thanks. :)

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
beckysoup61 said:
You mean this verse?

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:10)
Where did you copy that one from? That's John 3v3 :confused:

John 3 v10 is Jesus asking Nicodemus if he is a teacher in all Israel and doesn't know these things.

I think there is a hint of sarcasm in this, also remember what Jesus said to the guys on the road to Emmaus? "FOOLS".

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
*Paul* said:
beckysoup61 said:
You mean this verse?
"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:10)

Where did you copy that one from? That's John 3v3 :confused:

John 3 v10 is Jesus asking Nicodemus if he is a teacher in all Israel and doesn't know these things.

I think there is a hint of sarcasm in this, also remember what Jesus said to the guys on the road to Emmaus? "FOOLS".

Maybe you should clarify which bibles you are both quoting from.