• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Who is Lord Shiva?) ~ Acharya Srikantha

ngupta

title used by customer
Lord Shiva is one of the Gods of the Trimurti, the Hindu Trinity. Lord Shiva belongs to the Hindu pantheon of Devas. Lord Shiva is adored as the personal form of the Supreme Being by followers of Shaivism and Smartism and those who belong to the Advaita Vedanta school of thought. In Shaivism, He is the principal deity of worship and all of its theology.

Srikantha is amongst the highly revered scholars of the Hindu religious traditions. His theology is largely Monotheistic. His scholarly works are amongst the earliest in Hinduism and important to various Shaiva sects.

Other Hindus can feel free to contribute as well. So that we all can learn.

Hara Hara Mahadev!
Om Namah Shivayah!

ngupta

title used by customer
Acharya Srikantha holds Lord Shiva to be Brahman. In His theology Brahman and Shiva are both the same.

Attributes of Lord Shiva

- Sarva-Karanatva "being the cause of all"

- Visvadhikatva "being more and higher than the universe"

- Sarva-Prapyatva "being an object to be attained by all"

Brahman is the Highest Reality

~ there is nothing higher than Brahman

Acharya Srikantha says on the grounds of Authority as well as Reasoning that Brahman is the Highest Reality.

scriptures refers to God to be setu(bridge) meaning two things;

1) as a bridge keeps two places apart, being the division between them and being itself limited, so is the Lord

2) as a bridge leads to a desired for place, so too does the Lord do the same, leading to a Higher Goal than Himself

However Srikantha states that on the grounds of Authority and Reason, since the scriptures proves Brahman to be visvadhika meaning "more and higher than the universe" therefore this designation is to be understood as metaphorical.

and that in truth Lord Shiva;

1) is the one who keeps all the worlds and regions apart, preventing their inter-mixture

It is He who is responsible for the barriers between things and the limitations of things

2) He Himself leads the aspirers after salvation to Himself

God alone is responsible for those who seek Him for salvation

And on the grounds of Reason; the concept of an Infinite Regress is inexorably opposed to that of stable Truth and Final Goal. But since the aim of philosophy is Stability and Finality. It therefore cannot be met with Infinite Regress.

In the same manner, Brahman is Highest because of His attributes.

- He is the Cause of all

- He is more than the world

- He is the Object to be attained by all

and if there is something higher than Brahman, that will inevitably lead to an Infinite Regress. For then there would be no further, characterising mark for the Highest Reality, higher and higher realities would have to be posited ad infinitum

the attributes of God are not accepted as axioms at face value but through reasoning

note: the meaning of Brahman is such that Brahman cannot be Brahman if it is not the Highest (contrast to English, where one says 'God' cannot be 'God' if there is something superior to 'God' as that will be the 'God above God' and instead what we should consider to be 'God' is this 'God above God') - Brahman simply means the Highest Reality or the Greatest Being.

hence Acharya Srikantha concludes that Brahman is; Para and Sarvotkrsta "the Highest Being and Best among all" and hence He is to be bowed down before by all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Lord Siva is the Supreme Mahadeva in the form of a Sage.

In the Vedas, Lord Siva as Rudra is an archer of terrifying anger, but is also a benevolent giver of blessings and destroyer of sin.

Lord Siva is also Nataraja, the King of Dance, who is in every movement of the universe; every movement of the universe is Nataraja's dance.

Lord Siva is the Linga, which is the Brahmanda, Hiranyagarbha. It is the subtle essence of all things.

At least, I believe so. ^_^

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
all and in all, primal soul, absolute reality, the cause, my friend, ... 1008 names and more... but it helps maybe to be a Saivite ..;)

ngupta

title used by customer
Lord Siva is the Supreme Mahadeva in the form of a Sage.

True. He has a variety of forms. Which indicate different personal facets of Himself.

I left that portion out because it involves the Puranas. And I wanted to leave the Puranas out and focus on the Vedas.

Lord Siva is the Linga, which is the Brahmanda, Hiranyagarbha. It is the subtle essence of all things.

At least, I believe so. ^_^

Please understand the topic is not about individual opinion. And neither is it about other traditions of Shaivism. The topic follows the theology laid down by Srikantha. So if you are to post something please make sure you are posting something from his works.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
True. He has a variety of forms. Which indicate different personal facets of Himself.

I left that portion out because it involves the Puranas. And I wanted to leave the Puranas out and focus on the Vedas.

Well, AFAIK, all we've got from them are the various hymns.

Please understand the topic is not about individual opinion. And neither is it about other traditions of Shaivism. The topic follows the theology laid down by Srikantha. So if you are to post something please make sure you are posting something from his works.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that.

But doesn't Lord Siva transcend all that, and therefore the question of "who is Lord Siva" is perfectly answerable regardless of which Sage's teachings are influencing the answer?

ngupta

title used by customer
all and in all

Srikantha does not consider Lord Shiva to be "all and in all".

The most populous tradition of Shaivism is Saiva Siddhanta. Because Shaivism is predominantly found in South India and Saiva Siddhanta is the main tradition in South India. This tradition was once practiced all over India. However the Muslim subjugation of North India restricted Shaiva Siddhanta to the South. And God/Lord Shiva is different from His creation in this tradition, even up to the point of Moksha, hence its a mainly Monotheistic school of thought. And that means vast majority of Shaivites are Monotheistic and therefore don't believe Shiva to be "all and in all".

anisha_astrologer

starstell.com
Lord Shiva is one of the supreme gods who forms the holy trinity in hinduism. he is the destroyer, who also represents the birth of new things after the older one dies.

TheoDixon

Can someone point me towards the key scripture concerning Siva? I have an essay to write on Siva from the perspective of different schools of thought (Shaivism, Vaishnavism, Shaktism, etc) and I wanted some original material to work with, thanks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Can someone point me towards the key scripture concerning Siva? I have an essay to write on Siva from the perspective of different schools of thought (Shaivism, Vaishnavism, Shaktism, etc) and I wanted some original material to work with, thanks.

I don't think there is a key scripture that would cover all schools. Each school will have its own scripture. Tough assignment, can't imagine a well versed professor even giving it.

TheoDixon

I don't think there is a key scripture that would cover all schools. Each school will have its own scripture. Tough assignment, can't imagine a well versed professor even giving it.
The task is to 'Discuss the nature and significance of Shiva in Hindu tradition', we don't have to go into major detail although I think it would be better if I were to look at multiple views rather than just a Shaivist perspective.
Any suggestions are appreciated, I don't need to read every single text about Shiva from every single religious denomination but it'd be nice to have some diversity. Any non-scriptural books describing Shiva would also be appreciated.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The task is to 'Discuss the nature and significance of Shiva in Hindu tradition', we don't have to go into major detail although I think it would be better if I were to look at multiple views rather than just a Shaivist perspective.
Any suggestions are appreciated, I don't need to read every single text about Shiva from every single religious denomination but it'd be nice to have some diversity. Any non-scriptural books describing Shiva would also be appreciated.

Like I implied, the subject is vast. I have a very limited understanding, and surely somebody will come along to 'correct' me by adding their perspective.
The six traditional schools of Saivism are briefly outlined in Dancing with Siva, free on-line as a download from Himalayan Academy. All six will view Siva as God Supreme.
The Smarta view could be found in books written by the late great Swami Sivananda. Siva will be Brahman.
Shaktites generally view Siva as the unmanifest aspect of Shakti.
Vaishnavites vary by school, including none other than Vishnu, a demi-God devotee of Vishnu, or irrelevant.
Western indologists often just use the false simplistic trimurti approach of Siva as destroyer, that they invented.
Still others see Siva as a personage, as portrayed in the Puranas.

Siva can be portrayed as a person, as dakshinamurthi, as Lingam, as Nataraja, as Ardhinarisvara, as ether, and more I suppose.

There have been many great books written on it, but generally each of those will focus on that particular perspective.

Best wishes.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Vaishnavites vary by school, including none other than Vishnu, a demi-God devotee of Vishnu, or irrelevant.

If these Vaishnavas who say this knew the scriptures they'd know that the scriptures (the Skanda Purana and the Yajur Veda) say that Shiva and Vishnu are one and the same, flip sides of the same coin., i.e. both God. Which side of the coin one is drawn to is a matter of which one calls to you. No "greatest devotee" silliness. :rolleyes: It's also the Swaminarayan pov, as well as mine.

Western indologists often just use the false simplistic trimurti approach of Siva as destroyer, that they invented.

That's as bad as Kali being the "goddess of death". :rolleyes:

TheoDixon

Thanks, @Vinayaka and @Jainarayan. So would you argue that the concept of the Trimurti and Shiva 'the Destroyer; is a misrepresentation of Hindu belief? One of my Hindu friends seems to follow this kind of theology although she has lived in England for presumably all of her life which may explain why she has a more western viewpoint. Is there any scripture, in the Epics and Puranas or elsewhere, that establishes Shiva as the Destroyer? Also, and I realise I'm drawing this out a bit so I'll try to make this my last question, do you know any scripture where Shiva is established as the first yogi or is this just a title placed on him retroactively?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thanks, @Vinayaka and @Jainarayan. So would you argue that the concept of the Trimurti and Shiva 'the Destroyer; is a misrepresentation of Hindu belief? One of my Hindu friends seems to follow this kind of theology although she has lived in England for presumably all of her life which may explain why she has a more western viewpoint. Is there any scripture, in the Epics and Puranas or elsewhere, that establishes Shiva as the Destroyer? Also, and I realise I'm drawing this out a bit so I'll try to make this my last question, do you know any scripture where Shiva is established as the first yogi or is this just a title placed on him retroactively?

I consider it a misrepresentation, yes. Perhaps the encyclopedia writers were just cherry picking at the time. Most certainly they were seeing it through the eyes of a western mainly Christian paradigm. Marcion might be able to help you on the first yogi bit. Seems to be more his cup of tea.

'Destroyer' is a poor translation for sure. Dissolution is better. Speaking as a Saivite, the creation maintaining, and dissolution thing are three of the 5 powers of Siva, the other 2 being revealing and concealing graces.

Not sure what level of course you're at, or your teacher's level of understanding. Regardless, I'm glad you asked actual Hindus rather than western scholars of Hinduism.

BTW, I'm certainly not opposed to your questioning here all you want to.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
All of what @Vinayaka said. :)

Plus you can find stories in the Puranas, namely the Shiva Purana and Vishnu Purana. Keep in mind not all sects of Hinduism are based on the Puranas. But they are full of colorful stories that are teaching aids and contain morality tales and lessons, as well as what is popularly known about the gods.

I consider the idea of the Trimurti a bit wonky given that Brahma is not immortal and did not create the universe. Not to mention having something of a checkered reputation. According to the Nasadiya Sukta (a hymn) of the Rig Veda no one knows how the universe came into existence.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Come to think of it, ISKCON is notorious for proselytizing "Shiva is a deva and the greatest devotee of Vishnu".

My temple is south Indian style, and has a sculpture (it's not a bas relief, and it's not a full murti) of Harihara in one of the niches outside the Sri Guruvayurappan (Vishnu as he appeared when he took birth as Krishna) sanctum. Harihara (Hari is Vishnu, Hara is Shiva) is the conjoined form of Shiva and Vishnu denoting their sameness. Here's a pretty good example.

220px-Indian_god-sivakesava.JPG
main-qimg-afb254f053f14c83e228954b0d8dfacc-c

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
All of what Vinayaka and Jai said. That started in South India. when some philosophers/saints started giving preference to Vishnu. Philosophies like Vishishta Advaita (Ramanuja), Dvaita Advaita (Nimbarka), Dvaita (Madhva), Shuddh Advaita (Vallabha) and in Bengal, Achintya Bheda Abheda Advaita (Chaitanya - Hare Krishna) do that.

I have given the names of philosophies first and that of their proponents in brackets.
Please note that Advaita means non-duality, and Dvaita means duality of humans and God.
Also know that these great philosophers/teachers are called as Acharyas which is equivalent of being a 'Professor emeritus'.

Then the history. Hinduism had a revival against Buddhism and Jainism during the time of Gupta empire (mid-to-late 3rd century CE to 590 CE) and Guptas were Vaishnavas, worshipers of Lord Vishnu. Most puranas were written during the Gupta period, therefore they eulogized Vishnu.

This happened because the Advaita (non-dual) philosophy of Sankara (8th century) nearly dismantled the idea of God making God and humans the same. This was the reaction of the theists to the nearly atheist/Buddhist philosophy of Sankara which alarmed the theists. Sankara was equidistant to Vishnu as well as Shiva.

In Shaiva philosophies, Shiva is the creator and also sustains and then absorbs the universe when its time is up. Shaiva philosophies do not have the pronounced bias against Vishnu as the Vaishnava philosophies have against Shiva.

I am giving you my views. Other people may like to differ from this.