• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is "James?"

Muffled

Jesus in me
My wife who is a former Catholic say that in a way that Catholic is not Christian. I think the reason she says that is that Catholics usually don't read the bible except those parts which support their beliefs, if they read it at all, according to her. However, I do believe myself that they are Christian because they recognize Christ as a Divine being. My wife was baptized when a baby, and the church refused to remove her from the rolls when she became a Baha'i. Those who are baptized are considered Catholic for life. I think that's why the words "lapsed Catholic" are used sometimes by people. They no longer believe, but are considered Catholics by the Church. How many Catholica are there really?

I believe I was born in Massachusetts but that didn't make me a Massachusetts resident forever.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
You can pretend that what you do is somehow different from what others do, to keep feeling smug and superior to them, but it is still theology. Literally. And I get it — every Christian group teaches that they are the ones to spread Scripture in its truest form, but to deny that it is "theology" to make a bizarre point against religious scholarship is pretty impressive for being unique in its arrogance. Bravo.
Huh? To me it is 'Sacred Theology' that relies on the written Word of God. Sacred tradition with Sacred Scripture.
There is 'progressive theology' as opposed to Scripture. " The faith is one, theologies are diverse." __________
So, the Bible is what remains as the source of religious truth - John 17:17.
Otherwise, theological tradition outside of Scripture is Not valid according to Jesus at Matthew 15:9.

Soul

Yep...""the study of the nature of God and religious belief."
No mention of the Bible even though all we know about God and Christ is from the scriptures.
Don't you find that just a little odd?

No, because I understand that the dictionary does not cater to just Christianity. Scripture is an integral part of theology because it illustrates God's nature, His relation to the world, religious faith, and practice, etc.

Definition of theology
1: the study of religious faith, practice, and experience
especially : the study of God and of God's relation to the world

Christian theology is based upon Scripture. That is how you know about God. Your Watchtower Society is a theological institution because they study Scripture and teach their interpretation of it, same as Catholics, Jews, etc.

What questions did I evade.

Refer to post #20 and the way you evaded answering these questions in post #21 by lying about me claiming I am "someone who doesn't want to know," even though that is clearly not the case by me asking you questions in the first place. You also need to consider the word "brother" (ἀδελφός [adelphos]) has a range of meanings, e.g., "fellow believer," fellow countryman," "kinsman," etc., and that the meaning "kinsman" cannot only be used in place of "sibling," but also "uncle," "nephew," "cousin," etc., then show the meaning "sibling" applies to its singular and/or plural form in the verse(s) you believe to refer to Jesus' siblings.

...you evaded my questions. See posts #15 and #17.

You did not ask me any questions in post #15, and your one question in post #17 was off-topic, which is why I did not answer it.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Christian theology is based upon Scripture. That is how you know about God. Your Watchtower Society is a theological institution because they study Scripture and teach their interpretation of it, same as Catholics, Jews, etc.
What about independent investigation? Both you and @Deeje.