• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is Dattatreya?

ronki23

dattatreya.jpeg

If Dattatreya is the Trimurti then why aren't there more pictures of him in Mandirs or in households?

Why do we say the supreme God is Saguna Brahman when Dattatreya is the Brahman personified?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The commonality of Hindu deities varies by region and sect. So do the beliefs. Why one idea is more common than the next is due to historically how it spread. Some ideas spread, others don't.

In order to explain Murugan or Subramaniaswami to many North Indian folks, I have to say Karthik.

If a Hindu wanted to put all deities on their shrine, it would one very cluttered shrine.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You have no idea! :D
If it was just me, and my decision alone, not conforming to any suggestions at all, I'd have a Lingam and nothing else. But as it is is still pretty simple. When I do go to one of those picture everywhere temples, I just get so swirly.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Just an Om symbol and Nataraja for me. Just bought my second one today. Haven’t even gotten him home yet.

Salix,
Has issues

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If it was just me, and my decision alone, not conforming to any suggestions at all, I'd have a Lingam and nothing else. But as it is is still pretty simple. When I do go to one of those picture everywhere temples, I just get so swirly.

I've pared mine down considerably. I packed many of them away. I felt creepy doing it, but it was totally out of control, too busy. If I had to do it over again I would have just a few statues. But I listened to too many people.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Where are you planning to be reborn? (I have yet to decide, but actively thinking some days.)

Not sure yet, but I can tell you it won't be NJ if I can help it. I prefer someplace bucolic, pastoral or otherwise slow-paced and peaceful.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not sure yet, but I can tell you it won't be NJ if I can help it. I prefer someplace bucolic, pastoral or otherwise slow-paced and peaceful.
I checked out that island in the middle of the Indian ocean, but it turned out to be rather tribal, and hard to get off of. I want to be somewhere where the sampradaya I'm in is not obscure, and have the opportunity to find out about monasticism earlier in life. Right here in Canada is probably a decent bet. Maybe Vancouver. Then again, not much is obscure any more. India will be cleaner in 40 years too.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If Dattatreya is the Trimurti then why aren't there more pictures of him in Mandirs or in households?
Why do we say the supreme God is Saguna Brahman when Dattatreya is the Brahman personified?
Are Saguna and Nirguna two different Gods? Many people worship Lord Dattatreya. There are quite a few temples dedicated to him. Why does he need to be everywhere?

ajay0

Just an Om symbol and Nataraja for me. Just bought my second one today. Haven’t even gotten him home yet.

Salix,
Has issues

Yeah, just the Shivalingam and Om symbol for me too. I like it simple. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If I did have an Aum, it would be a Tamil Aum. I just like the design/look of it.

Om - Wikipedia

Much more going on in the Tamil one than the Devanagari one. Any idea what the meaning to the curves as they related to the states of being in the Tamil one? I'm guessing the dot in the center is Turiya, but beyond that, I get lost.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Much more going on in the Tamil one than the Devanagari one. Any idea what the meaning to the curves as they related to the states of being in the Tamil one? I'm guessing the dot in the center is Turiya, but beyond that, I get lost.

I don't know much, but I will ask a few friends. I have heart it said that it looks a bit like Ganesha.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Lord Dattatreya (lit. given by Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva) is a gift of Sati Anusooya to the world, She was Sage Atri's wife.