• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is Cephas from the Bible and what does he stand for today?

t3gah

I'm confused about the whole Cephas thing. Who is he again and what does he relate to?

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
t3gah said:
I'm confused about the whole Cephas thing. Who is he again and what does he relate to?
John 1:42 He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon the son of John; you shall be called Cephas" (which is translated Peter)

Also, Paul refers to Cephas several times in his letters to the Corinthian church. It is all related to the apostle, Peter. The on ewho gave the great confession, "thow art the Christ, the son of the living God." Upon that confession, Jesus said he would build His church. And did when He conquered sin and death when raising from the dead.

Forever_Catholic

"Cephas," in my opinion, is an unnecessary translation that only causes confusion. It is the Aramaic word for rock, but Saint Matthew quoted the name Jesus gave to Simon as “Petros,” formed from a Greek word.

The New Testament books were written in Greek because that was the most common language spoken in the region at the time, even by Jews. The Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew (Old Testament) texts was already in use 250 years before Christ was born. The Greek Septuagint was the Bible used, taught from, and quoted from by Jesus and the Apostles. Hebrew was only being used for liturgical purposes in the Temple. So if Greek was the language of the Church and the then current international language, why would Jesus have chosen an Aramaic word, which would not have been commonly understood?

All we can know for sure is what Saint Matthew gave us, which is that Jesus formed the new name for Simon from “petra,” the Greek word for rock. Since Greek nouns had grammatical gender, and since petra was a feminine noun, Jesus put a masculine ending on it to make it a suitable name for a man. So Simon’s new name was Petros -- "And I tell you that you are Rock (Petros) and on this rock (petra) I will build my Church..." (Matthew 16:18)

atpollard

The Apostle Peter.

Like Buddy said:
John 1:40-42 explains it all ...
40 Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. 41 The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). 42 And he brought him to Jesus.
Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).
Cephas (Aramaic) = means "rock" = Petros (Greek) = Peter (English version of 'Petros') = the Apostle Peter

Also the same person from Matthew 16:16-18 ...
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
Who is the same Peter that the Roman Catholic Church recognizes as the first Pope.