• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is a Jew - right of return to Israel

JIMMY12345

Again, therefore, not related to who is practicing or what kind of practicing, but about lineage (or conversion) conforming to Jewish law.

well, it isn't becoming a religious state, but there is and has been a constant tension in terms of the integration of certain religious ideas into the fabric of the legal system. Citizenship rules and guarantees to particular groups are not unique to Israel - many countries have repatriation laws.
I was reading Tim Marshall's book for the 5th time.He says that 80% of the population are open and tolerant.However a small band insist on being narrow minded and issuing edicts.Its to much hard work for the others to argue with the few,Sadly.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
lol a thread about inner-Jewish problems and it obviously derails and is about the Arabs.

The land is still highly disputed between Israelis and Palestinians, so it makes sense that a discussion about who has the right to return to that land would also include Arabs and their current status.

Some of the posts in this thread have even questioned the very identity of Palestinians, which makes it pretty clear that there is a good reason to touch on their status in the discussion.

Flankerl

The land is still highly disputed between Israelis and Palestinians, so it makes sense that a discussion about who has the right to return to that land would also include Arabs and their current status.

Nah I like my family without their throats slit open.

Perhaps ask in Jordan, oh wait the PLO got thrown out because they tried to takeover the country and then instigated the Lebanese civil war.
Oh well!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah I like my family without their throats slit open.

Perhaps ask in Jordan, oh wait the PLO got thrown out because they tried to takeover the country and then instigated the Lebanese civil war.
Oh well!

I'm not sure what point you're making, but I wouldn't define Arab or Israeli presence by their most violent elements. Anyone who wants to "slit throats open" isn't, or at least shouldn't be, in discussion here as a legitimate party. If anyone here supports such a party, the response to them is separate from the larger issue of Israeli and Palestinian rights.

Flankerl

I'm not sure what point you're making, but I wouldn't define Arab or Israeli presence by their most violent elements. Anyone who wants to "slit throats open" isn't, or at least shouldn't be, in discussion here as a legitimate party. If anyone here supports such a party, the response to them is separate from the larger issue of Israeli and Palestinian rights.

That's great man, really great.

Now if only the Palestinian political scene wasn't completely dominated by violent people that'd be great.

So we have the Palestinian National Initiative, they have 2 seats in the Palestinian Parliament.
Then of course Third Way, they have 2 seats in the Palestinian Parliament.
And of course we have the Palestinian Democratic Union, they share 2 seats in the Palestinian Parliament with the DFLP and PPP.

So 6... ish seats in the 132 strong Parliament are made up of moderate liberal views.

That's amazing!
It obviously shows that a peaceful coexistence is just around the corner!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
That's great man, really great.

Now if only the Palestinian political scene wasn't completely dominated by violent people that'd be great.

So we have the Palestinian National Initiative, they have 2 seats in the Palestinian Parliament.
Then of course Third Way, they have 2 seats in the Palestinian Parliament.
And of course we have the Palestinian Democratic Union, they share 2 seats in the Palestinian Parliament with the DFLP and PPP.

So 6... ish seats in the 132 strong Parliament are made up of moderate liberal views.

That's amazing!
It obviously shows that a peaceful coexistence is just around the corner!

As much as I wish the situation were different, I'm under no illusion that peaceful coexistence is anywhere in sight for the foreseeable future, but I also see the violence as a cycle that can only be broken once injustices are addressed and both the Israeli government and Palestinian leadership consider a two-state solution as a concrete possibility. The answer to the current situation is not to double down on intransigence and refusal to reform present policies.

jbg

As much as I wish the situation were different, I'm under no illusion that peaceful coexistence is anywhere in sight for the foreseeable future, but I also see the violence as a cycle that can only be broken once injustices are addressed and both the Israeli government and Palestinian leadership consider a two-state solution as a concrete possibility. The answer to the current situation is not to double down on intransigence and refusal to reform present policies.
What would your recommendations be for "addressing" the "injustices"? It seems to me the "injustice" was Israel surviving the 1948 war, on the first day of Israel's independence. Remember, "one who swats at the hornet had best kill it." See, e.g. In re TPG Troy, LLC, 793 F.3d 228, 235 (2d Cir. 2015); In re Kidwell, 158 B.R. 203, 213 (Bankr. E.D. Cal. 1993). Rather than seeking in 1948 to "address...injustices" the Arab governments, in that case Egypt, Transjordan, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and a few others took an unsuccessful swat at Israel, and didn't kill it. The rest is history.