• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is a Christian? (Poll)

What is a Christian?

• A person who believes that Jesus is one of many gods?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bishka

Veteran Member
What is a Christian?

Is a Christian a person who just believes Christ existed? (Choice #1)

Is a Christian a person who believes that Jesus is one of many gods? (Choice #2)

Or is a Christian a person who believes that Jesus Christ the son of the Almighty God and the Saviour of us all? (Choice #3)

In greek, Christian literally means "little christ" or "messiah" (I've heard both--and I'm not perfect in my Greek;)), what does that mean to you?

Also, is one Christian group (any group that claims to be Christian) any less Christian then another?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I voted other: A christain Is someone who follows all rules of christianity..

If you believe chist existed and helped and was a son of God and stuff but also believes that you must kill for your God than I don't think you are a christian.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I voted Other. A Christian is just someone who calls himself/herself a Christian. It gets too sticky when dealing with who is what and who isn't. The whole "Mormons/Catholics/Liberals aren't Christian" thing is a prime example.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
GeneCosta said:
I voted Other. A Christian is just someone who calls himself/herself a Christian. It gets too sticky when dealing with who is what and who isn't. The whole "Mormons/Catholics/Liberals aren't Christian" thing is a prime example.

Completely agree.

A Christian, to me at least, is anyone who cares to claim the title. Looking at it from the outside, this game that some Christians play of saying that Sect X isn't really Christian and only Sects Y and Z are, seems very silly.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
A TRUE Christian is one who follows the teachings of Christ.

All other professed "Christians" are hypocrites.

Arben

A Christian is someone who believes that Christ died on the cross for their sins and rose again, and has asked Christ to be their Savior and Lord. When we accept Christ as our Savior and Lord we then become part of the Body of Christ (Christian).

God bless.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I voted "A person who believes that Jesus Christ the son of the Almighty God and the Saviour of us all? ". Now, just because a person professes to be a Christian does not guarantee that he is being 'Christlike'.

To give a parallel example, America is known as the Land of Freedom, and if you were born in this country or are a naturalized citizen, then you are an American. As we have noticed, however, not all Americans love freedom.:no:

The Christians I encounter certainly do lead Christlike lives. The give their time and money to help those in need, and they treat people with compassion and respect.:162:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
The Christian in me knew to vote " A person who believes that Jesus Christ the son of the Almighty God and the Saviour of us all? "; and that is the way I feel, although, to be frank, I think what is important is what is happening now (in terms of the way I behave) as opposed to 'salvation'; that will just be the 'icing on the cake'.

egroen

If I were given the choice to define Christians, I would say, "Those who follow Jesus' teachings." It just seems that so many people who follow the word of the bible and the teachings of Paul gloss over Jesus, the man and teacher, at times.

-Erin

fromthe heart

Arben said:
A Christian is someone who believes that Christ died on the cross for their sins and rose again, and has asked Christ to be their Savior and Lord. When we accept Christ as our Savior and Lord we then become part of the Body of Christ (Christian).

God bless.

I agree...You can walk like a Christian, talk like a Christian...but your works (behavior) alone won't make you a Christian..you must confess with your mouth your sins and that Christ lived and died for you, accept Christ into your heart as Savior from your sins and believe in your heart OR you are NOT saved OR a Christian. That is NOT my PO but the truth of the Word of God!:)

kai

ragamuffin
i voted other because i think a christian is a person who follows the teachings of christ and tries to live in like manner

SoyLeche

meh...
kai said:
i voted other because i think a christian is a person who follows the teachings of christ and tries to live in like manner
I would tend to define the word very similarly. Although the "tries to live in like manner" could be very subjective.

If someone thinks of themselves as a Christian, I won't be telling them they aren't.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I voted other because there was not an "All of the above option", although i would have changed option 1 to "A person who believes Christ existed and follows his teachings".
I think someone can believe the man Jesus existed, but not take it any further and so wouldn't consider themselves a Christian.

Smoke

Done here.
Revasser said:
A Christian, to me at least, is anyone who cares to claim the title. Looking at it from the outside, this game that some Christians play of saying that Sect X isn't really Christian and only Sects Y and Z are, seems very silly.
That's pretty much my take on it.

I'm completely mystified by the idealization of the word Christian -- by Christians and non-Christians alike -- whereby a person who behaves badly is not considered a true Christian. If following the teachings of Jesus is the measure of whether someone is a Christian or not, there are very few Christians in the world.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
A Christian is one who accepts Christ as their Lord and Saviour and repents of their sins. They allow themselves to die to be reborn in the Spirit and live each day to walk closer and closer to Christ...fulfilling HIS will, not their own for their lives and touching as many with Christ's love as they can while they walk.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
beckysoup61 said:
What is a Christian?
If I were going to define the word "Christian" as narrowly as I could bring myself to, I'd say that a Christian is a person who believes in Jesus Christ as the Only Begotten Son of God and recognizes that He is the only means by which salvation is offered to the human family. He would also have to be committed to living a life that was in accordance with the principles taught by Jesus Christ.

If I were to define the word "Christian" as I'm more naturally inclined to, I would say that a Christian is any person who believes himself to be a Christian. Since I am quite resentful when people feel they have the right to exclude me from being a Christian, I don't feel I have the right to try to exclude anyone else. I'll leave that up to God, since the word "Christian" is nothing more than a label anyway.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
dawny0826 said:
A Christian is one who accepts Christ as their Lord and Saviour and repents of their sins. They allow themselves to die to be reborn in the Spirit and live each day to walk closer and closer to Christ...fulfilling HIS will, not their own for their lives and touching as many with Christ's love as they can while they walk.
Great definition, Dawny! I can certainly agree with you.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Katzpur said:
If I were going to define the word "Christian" as narrowly as I could bring myself to, I'd say that a Christian is a person who believes in Jesus Christ as the Only Begotten Son of God and recognizes that He is the only means by which salvation is offered to the human family. He would also have to be committed to living a life that was in accordance with the principles taught by Jesus Christ.

If I were to define the word "Christian" as I'm more naturally inclined to, I would say that a Christian is any person who believes himself to be a Christian. Since I am quite resentful when people feel they have the right to exclude me from being a Christian, I don't feel I have the right to try to exclude anyone else. I'll leave that up to God, since the word "Christian" is nothing more than a label anyway.

Well said.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Other:

A TRUE Christian is one who battles the evil minons of Xenu!

I would say that a Christian is someone who believes in Christ, God and savior, ressurected.

egroen

Do a google search for "TRUE Christians" and "True Christians Unite", and you will most likely have a pretty bad taste in your mouth :)

-Erin