• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who imprisoned us?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You profile displays your religion as Advaita Vedanta.
And I have a question for you.

What does the word "Paramanand" means in Vedanta ?
Find out.

Its the composition of two words Param-Ananda.
Param = Ultimate.
Ananda = Happiness.

Find ultimate-happiness, or say permanent-happiness.

'Ananda' better translates to bliss. And I am aware of what paramananda means. As am I aware that satcitananda is existence - (pure) consciousness - bliss. As I said, that, as I see it, is not the purpose of life. I had that before I was born into avidya (ignorance), as I, in my true nature, am eternal. I have no beginning and no end.

So back to the question in the OP, why did you take birth? What purpose does one have in choosing to live a life in this perceive reality, in samsara?

chinu

chinu
Doesn't seem to answer the question as to why, for example, 99% of the young of some particular species will be food for others before they even get a chance to grow into an adult. The rest of life seems to have only one purpose, to reproduce, and much behaviour is aimed towards this - even if it becomes quite complex such as communal living and social grouping.
The young one will certainly get chance to grow into adult.
Because, the one which is adult today, will definitely get old and die someday.

chinu

chinu
So back to the question in the OP, why did you take birth. What purpose does one have in choosing to live a life in this perceive reality, in samsara?
One wanna give a try to this "Test"
Test = Living WITHOUT permanent-happiness.

Who knows, further this test will lead to paying heavy prices :)

atanu

Premium Member
Life is what it is, human life is what humanity has made it. In effect, we get what our forefathers have paid for.

So. Do you mean that grandfathers have pre-paid for our conditions — prison like or heavenly (may be for some)?

Assuming that to be true, what could one do to improve one’s state or improve the future state of ones grandchildren?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You seems to be NOT believing in re-birth, do you ?
Than this chapter is NOT for you.

Erm, no, not really - no belief in an afterlife either.

I can't agree that happiness has any useful purpose for humans, in that we tend to see all too often that the happiness of many seems to be more important than the happiness of others, such that many see no issues with exploiting others in order to achieve their own happiness. I see happiness as just the result of living decently (and hence a byproduct), and with luck remains so but unfortunately other things often intervene.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So. Do you mean that grandfathers have pre-paid for our conditions — prison like or heavenly (may be for some)?

Assuming that to be true, what could one do to improve one’s state or improve the future state of ones grandchildren?

A said Life is what it is, human life is what humanity has made it. In effect, we get what our forefathers have paid for. I am assuming that what i meant by that is quite clear

What i have done is move from a fairly oppressive country to one less oppressive.

As for changing the status quo in any given country, you have your vote, assuming of course you are in a democratic country.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Please explain.
On a general level, it's our choices and consequences that follow from it over multiple births that bring about the situation we find ourselves in at present.

On my own personal level, I do not consider myself imprisoned or alienated in this life. My spiritual experiences leads me to believe I had chosen this life I am in right now. I feel free, motivated, at peace, well adjusted and satisfied with it... and has felt that way for a very long time. So no, not all are imprisoned here. Some are here because they wanted to be.

Regarding why I am here.... human civilization is out of balance with the natural world. I seek to do my small bit to push it back into balance.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Certainly.

I am responsible for any choice I make in vyavaharika. As long as I remain attached to aspects of this reality, whether it is through avidya and for selfish reasons such as desire, or for selfless reasons to remain in samsara as a jivanmukta, I will continue to take birth. Whether it is a householder bringing children into this world, or a monk living as an ascetic for the personal development or for the aid of others, or a combination thereof, is a choice the jiva makes.

Unless you were talking about giving birth, in which case my answer would be rendered useless to this thread, but would be an interesting subject nonetheless. :)

On a general level, it's our choices and consequences that follow from it over multiple births that bring about the situation we find ourselves in at present.

On my own personal level, I do not consider myself imprisoned or alienated in this life. My spiritual experiences leads me to believe I had chosen this life I am in right now. I feel free, motivated, at peace, well adjusted and satisfied with it... and has felt that way for a very long time. So no, not all are imprisoned here. Some are here because they wanted to be.

Regarding why I am here.... human civilization is out of balance with the natural world. I seek to do my small bit to push it back into balance.

As expected, our responses will likely be similar. My question however to both of you is, how will you defend your position/s against a charge of ‘lack of evidence’?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
As expected, our responses will likely be similar. My question however to both of you is, how will you defend your position/s against a charge of ‘lack of evidence’?

My position requires as much defense as my knowledge that I like the color blue. I can’t prove it objectively, and it’s irrelevant to me if another believes I like blue or not. My experience dictates otherwise.

There is no point in my trying to convince another of knowledge attained through subjective experiences. It’s theirs to learn on their own, whether they petition another for such knowledge or they gain such knowledge through their own experiences.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on who is making the charge. Objective Evidential justification for most competing positions are weak as well. I am happy to note that others may have different views from mine but I would say they too cannot furnish evidence that would rationally compel me to override my subjective experiences. Let us have pluralism till the weight of publicly accessible objective evidence actually does show that one view is more correct than the others.

EsonauticSage

Between extremes
Why did you take birth? To toil lifelong, to bring children into this world, try to give them education, and die in the end — most likely in pain?

Who is responsible for this?

Nobody can put you into a prison. You are already there.
Jiddu Krishnamoorthy

Ourselves.

And we do it again and again.

Most notably the creation of industry, then the creation of the internet. Both thanks to the infallibility of Science and materialism.
We don't live in the natural world anymore, we've created a simulacrum of reality.

To top that off most of the world is addicted to ideology. Sigh.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Why did you take birth? To toil lifelong, to bring children into this world, try to give them education, and die in the end — most likely in pain?

Who is responsible for this?

Nobody can put you into a prison. You are already there.
Jiddu Krishnamoorthy

It can be a scary ride, but I'm sometimes confused when people focus on the negative aspects of it only.
I'd also say that the alternate rides looked somewhat limited to me.