• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who imprisoned us?

atanu

Premium Member
From a Jewish perspective, a Jewish person's purpose is to anchor Earth ( the material world ) by doing good deeds. Another analogy is to be the liaisons between heaven and earth. In order to do that, the ego must be maintained, but formed only into divine purposes. Thus Halacha ( Jewish Law ). Without the ego, a person would no longer be able to act as liaison. That requires 'boots on the ground', so to speak.

See. That is why I mentioned ‘bhakti marga’. Although not identical, what you say is similar to the ‘dvaita’ (dualist school) of Hinduism. The advaita school on the other hand would say that the notion ‘I am acting as a liaison’ can be a hindrance, if it takes form of a gigantic ego.

I point out that one can keep the boots on the ground, never forgetting the true owner of everything, including the boots.

YMMV.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Well. ‘Not convinced’ and then ‘No idea’? These pertain to a ‘what’ or to a ‘who’?

Or, at the bottom (I am using your words) are you not convinced about your existence?
I'm not convinced it's a "who." I have no idea what the "what" would be. I'm convinced of my existence, although I have no reason to think my existence is the fundamental cause of all that is. Do you?

chinu

chinu
Good example Chinu. So, love imprisons or our foolishness does?
Please re-read my post once again.

I used the word "FALL" in love. (Who ever used the word "LOVE" in the past, used the word "FALL" with it)
Its said to be "FALLING" in love.
One has no control over "FALLING"

Therefore, its NOT a foolishness, dear :)

atanu

Premium Member
I'm not convinced it's a "who." I have no idea what the "what" would be. I'm convinced of my existence, although I have no reason to think my existence is the fundamental cause of all that is. Do you?

Dear Friend,

We must get the basics clear lest we get into quagmire as we always seem to do.

The point of being or not being in a prison like life will occur to a ‘who’ and that ‘who’ has to deal with it. This question will not occur to a ‘what’.

It is likely that to cats and dogs this question does not arise. It arises to some humans at least — that is why I mentioned intellect to two other posters.

This question usually does not arise in physicalists - they are enamoured of the physical goals. Or it arises to them very late after they have encountered sadness in all their endeavours.

This question will also be inapplicable for some who already know that ego self that seems to suffer pain is a delusion. They, however, will not brush away the reality of existence and the pain.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That is too cryptic. Do you or do you not agree that life is a prison? If yes, then what is the way out, according to you? If not, then why not?

Life is what it is, human life is what humanity has made it. In effect, we get what our forefathers have paid for.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Can I request you to elaborate please?

Certainly.

Why did you take birth? To toil lifelong, to bring children into this world, try to give them education, and die in the end — most likely in pain?

Who is responsible for this?

Nobody can put you into a prison. You are already there.
Jiddu Krishnamoorthy

I am responsible for any choice I make in vyavaharika. As long as I remain attached to aspects of this reality, whether it is through avidya and for selfish reasons such as desire, or for selfless reasons to remain in samsara as a jivanmukta, I will continue to take birth. Whether it is a householder bringing children into this world, or a monk living as an ascetic for the personal development or for the aid of others, or a combination thereof, is a choice the jiva makes.

Unless you were talking about giving birth, in which case my answer would be rendered useless to this thread, but would be an interesting subject nonetheless. :)